Arizona's Open Carry

This is a discussion on Arizona's Open Carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally posted by Bumper You may be right. I do a fair amount of shooting; usually once a week to the range to send 200-300 ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Arizona's Open Carry

Senior Moderator
    Originally posted by Bumper
    You may be right. I do a fair amount of shooting; usually once a week to the range to send 200-300 rounds down range...
    I average about 200 rounds a week myself.
    Originally posted by Bumper
    Today I am a pretty fair shot but my eyes are starting to tell me I am 53 and not a kid anymore. I am not dead on the ten ring every time but definitely in the kill zone...
    I\'m on longer a kid either; I\'ve been 49 for nearly 10 years now. ;).

It\'s the lens of the eye that gives us the problem. As we get older, the lens \"stiffens\" and our eye muscles can no longer force the lens to focus up close; that\'s why we have to hold the newspaper so far away and can no longer focus sharply on the front sight. Low power reading glasses can help.

Once when I went to Gunsite, I discovered I couldn\'t shoot as good there as I do at home. Thinking the elevation (>5000 feet) may be allowing my eye to expand and degrade my focus on the front sight, I bought some 1x reading glasses and they made a world of difference. I ran that by my eye doctor and he agreed that that was what was happening. The interesting thing was I didn\'t notice the problem so much until we got to longer ranges.
    I still like to learn though...
    I think that\'s one reason I try to attend a school every year. Plus, I now am pursuing more tactics. I just keep learning new ways a guy can get killed trying to defend himself! :o

BTW, with your background, I\'m pretty sure Gunsite would let you skip the level one class (250) so you could take the 350 class - you ought to do it - it\'s challenging and has more tactical stuff and I think two FOF simulations.

2. Remove Ads

6000' above sea level - Albuquerque NM USA
    New Mexico has open carry (in the places where carry is legal) without a permit, but it\'s almost never done. If I see one citizen carrying openly every three years, it\'s surprising.

Part of that may be that I live in Albuquerque and work in Santa Fe, but it was also true when I lived in Farmington (a smaller city in the Four Corners area) for a year.

I think it\'s a shame, but I understand why folks don\'t want to alarm anyone. Concealed carry only recently went into effect here (early this year), but based on my work in a gun store and as a prosecutor, I know a lot of folks were just carrying concealed illegally in order to not cause a stir.

There are a LOT of guns in cars hereabouts. :)

DC Founder
    I hear you, Tangle. That\'s exactly what has happened to my eyes. At 53, it started happening to me about 4 years ago.

I may break down here soon and attend one of the Gunsite courses. I would like to learn some more advanced tactics. I don\'t mind taking the basics again, I just hate paying for it :P

I open carried for years here, before the CCW law. I was in class for the permit ten days after the law went into effect! Open carry is legal, and really used to be unremarkable. I rarely had anyone give me grief, except a few resturaunts, all of which are now out of business.
    I knew a guy who rode a scooter, flame paint job, with a loaded AK on his back. Legal as church on whatever day you choose. A few cops stopped him to ask what he was doing, but they didn\'t harass him.
    I open carried into several banks, (yes, legal), and the only comment I got was one teller asking what load I liked in 40!
    CCW is better, as the BGs don\'t know who to shoot first in a robbery, and no little old ladies vacationing from New Jersey or California have heart attacks, but it is very nice to have that option!

DC Founder
    With the exception of always carrying openly in my car, I only open carried a couple of times when I was out and about. I remember when concealed carry was passed, alot of people were paranoid that the DPS was building a database from which to confiscate weapons. Even I held off until about the time I found out the black helicopters belonged to the Border Patrol, lol.

I have fun going to the mall, movies, etc and watching people and trying to spot those that are carrying. It is encouraging how many do. There\'s so many fanny packs in use, it looks all the rage ;)

I used one, until an ex-cop showed me how fast he could have my weapon in his hand. Now I use strong side only, CCW or open.

Fanny pack

You ex cop friend might look a little...well discombulated, if he opened a fanny pack, and it had no gun in it. Perhaps he has xray vision???

Used one for many years, no not one of the \'pull the corner and expose the gun'packs. Made only once by a doc..from Israel.

Lots of people use them, and very few have a gun in them.

Not one of my favorite carrys, but still has a place.

Being disarmed usually results from being unaware of one\'s surroundings. Lack of proper training is also a factor. As we can all \'doze off'at times, another reason to have a second gun:D.

Maybe I should also coment - he knew the weapon was there, and this was before I went into the academy.

Thanks, OK.

Senior Moderator
    Originally posted by KC135
    Carried open on a couple of trips to Az. Then about 98 when out there I applied for my Az permit.

Suarez has too much baggage for me.

Gunsite is well run, good instructors, and the time to see and talk to Cooper is fast diminishing.
    KC135,
    Exactly, well said - too much baggage for me too.

I know the first time I went to Az. ( I have a CCW that they recognize) I was going out to the desert and my friend said carry in the open (there is a reason) make it visible, make it obvious, that they have open cary there. Well I happend into a store for a cold pop, someone what apprehensive but was delighted in that my sholder rig with 2 spare clips never even drew a casual glance from anyone:O. Now I cary open every time I go there, it\'s kind of an real unique experience. Here in Mi they have a open cary law on the books but just try it and see what kind of reaction you get, yes you will be visited by the police, yes you will have to answer a lot of questions, and no a copy of the law will not help.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links