False Alarm

This is a discussion on False Alarm within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Was doing some work in my basement last night (it finished into an office/ spare room) when I heard what sounded like the bulk head ...

Thread: False Alarm

False Alarm

Was doing some work in my basement last night (it finished into an office/ spare room) when I heard what sounded like the bulk head opening and then SLAMMING shut. My dog jumped a mile and I jumped for my Kahr 9mm. I inserted a magazine of hollow points and charged the weapon, and reached for my flashlight. Snapped the door open that leads to the bulkhead with light and gun pointed. Nothing there. My dog was alert and had his tail pointed straight out.

Ran upstairs and exited my house from the porch, approaching the bulkhead from the rear, quietly, with the light out. I stopped and listened. Nothing. Flipped the light on and did a perimeter check of the property, light and gun pointed, finger off trigger. Nothing there. Apparently the wind had blown our plastic kiddie pool (that the dog uses) into the bulkhead resulting in a loud "CRASH".

In anycase, it is sometimes good for these kind of things to occur to test you under pressure and with the addition of adrenaline.

I asked myself when I got back inside:

*Why didn't a bring my second magazine of hollow points? It was sitting right next to the first? I would have had 14rds of ammo compared to 7.

*My shot gun may have been more useful at range in a large area...but the handheld light was great tool and provided an edge. Perhaps I should look into a shotgun light since the handheld would not be option with the shottie.

*All in all a good unexpected training exercise.
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

2. Remove Ads

For investigating a bump in the night, I prefer a hand held light to a weapon mounted one. Using a weapon mounted light requires you to point the muzzle at something you can't see. Never cared much for the idea. In a similar situation, I'd want the shotty pointed in a safe direction, and use the light with my off hand.

Just one question... why wasn't the gun loaded already? Is there some law against having a loaded gun in your own home in RI?
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

No...no such law at all. I had cleaned it earlier in the evening and had set it down without either of the mags inserted.
    -Bill

Assistant Administrator
    Bill - moral - if the only carry gun - reload and holster immediately after cleaning! Better still have BUG on hand during cleaning.

Funny how Murphy will probably try and inflict such ''tests'' just when guard down or gun clear But in truth - these events do help show us how we might react and so maybe help reapprise what we do and how prepared we are.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    Yep, I always keep 1 gun loaded while cleaning the other. wouldn't want to have to try to put together a gun under stress.
    You have bulkheads in your house???
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Yup...very common in New England. Houses here are built with basements; stairs leading up to a large bulkhead door are the standard.
    -Bill

You could have lost valuable seconds loading your weapon. I would really think about keeping it loaded and on you at all times.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Had a similar incident myself a few years back. Wife and I were sitting in the dark watching "Silence of the Lambs" on TV. Heard a HUGE crash on the balcony right outside the livingroom we were in. I ran the wife to our bedroom (phone in hand) while I grabbed my loaded Anaconda and went to see what was up. Seems a big storm had kicked up without us knowing it and blew our outdoor chairs over.

After checking my shorts I went out and secured everything that needed it. Always good to have a loaded weapon near at hand.
    Jack

I'm sure Silence of the Lambs didn't help with the nerves. Not that I'm scared, but come on, the guy eats people...
    -Bill

I've had "bumps in the night" before. My worse one was a car backfired right outside my bedroom window (Small front yard right next to the road) and I was instant awake, gun in hand, on side of bed (cover since the bed is right next to the window). I froze and listened and then eased up to look out the window. Didn't see anything or hear anything.

That was the easy part. The hard part was 1) sitting there wondering if I was going to have a heart attack (heart was beating at over 130 bpm (have a BP machine due to I have HBP) and 2) the shakes and the instant headache after the adenaline(sp) dump started to go away.

Then the wanting to vomit and sour stomach.

Then there was the time that the transformer across the street blew.

Anyone know the reason why backfires and blowing transformers always sound like a 12ga shotgun going off right next to you?

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne
    That was the easy part. The hard part was 1) sitting there wondering if I was going to have a heart attack (heart was beating at over 130 bpm (have a BP machine due to I have HBP) and 2) the shakes and the instant headache after the adenaline(sp) dump started to go away.

Then the wanting to vomit and sour stomach.
    Geez, maybe death would be easier?
    *** IN CASE OF EMERGENCY, DIAL - 1911 ***

Dan Wesson / CZ: Pointman 7, Stainless .45 ACP
    LaserMax, Carbon Fiber Ultra-thin Grips, Milt Sparks VM2, Milt Sparks 1.5" Tapered Gun Belt, Nickel Buckle, Galco Dual Magazine Carrier

Charles Daly: Field Hunter VR-MC, Semi-Auto 12g

Links