A liberal news guy gets it PART II!

This is a discussion on A liberal news guy gets it PART II! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; O.K. folks, here is the follow-up article. I think we can turn him! With gun, I will aim for safety Posted at 12:09 AM on ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A liberal news guy gets it PART II!

O.K. folks, here is the follow-up article. I think we can turn him!

With gun, I will aim for safety
    Posted at 12:09 AM on Tuesday, Dec. 15, 2009
    By Bill McEwen / The Fresno Bee
    Now that I've written of my intentions to buy a handgun and apply for a concealed-weapons permit, readers are stuffing my mailbox with advice, opinions and invitations.

The advice from gun owners is almost unanimously sober. They talk about the duties that go with carrying a weapon: picking the right gun, taking safety classes and practicing shooting.

Writes a Turlock man, "I would ask of you these things if you are serious about pursuing a [permit]. Never forget that doing so brings upon you a huge responsibility to practice and to constantly think about the terrible consequences that come with having to defend yourself with deadly force, whether a firearm or anything else. Carrying a weapon of any sort brings with it an awesome responsibility."

Some gun-control advocates say I've lost my mind or am trying to stir controversy. A friend suggested that if I am worried about the crime rate where I live, I should move back to my old neighborhood closer to Shaw Avenue "and forget about a weapon."

Call me stubborn, but I'd rather stay put than surrender to the bad guys.

So, after the holidays, I'll hang out with a few experts who have invited me to learn more about guns -- including assault rifles, which I bad-mouthed in the column.

Then I'll buy a gun, enroll in a safety class, fill out the permit and see whether I pass a Fresno County background check.

I understand the argument that more guns will create more pain and havoc. I acknowledge that carrying a concealed weapon probably wouldn't have helped Richard Hernandez, the deliveryman who was shot in the back.

But I've seen ample research backing Fresno County Sheriff Margaret Mims' contention that society is safer when responsible people bear arms. And, heaven forbid, if I face a life-or-death situation, I don't want to go out a defenseless victim.

I know people who have permits and carry concealed weapons. You can't pick them out of a crowd. They don't brag about it. They take the responsibility seriously. The Second Amendment provides the right to own firearms, and they exercise that right.

Responding to my column, a retired registered nurse with a doctorate in education described what led her to get a concealed-gun permit after moving to an isolated spot in the Madera County foothills. She said that she felt unsafe during her daily walk and driving to choir practice at night.

"I had never held a handgun until I retired five years ago," she said. "I was determined not to give up my independence."

Owning a gun is a personal choice for people with clean records. Carrying a gun in California is decided by the sheriff of each county.

Criminals don't play by these rules. They steal guns or buy them illegally, putting us all at risk. And, unlike responsible gun owners, they don't think much -- or care -- about the consequences of firing their weapons.
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    How ironic would it be if he doesn't pass the background check?

Seems most anti gun people are only turned after they or someone close to them is a victim of a bad crime.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Senior Moderator
    Miracles never cease.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Sure sounds positive!

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    One at a time. Little by little. More and more responsible gun owners. More and more gun friendly legislators. More and more gun rights people in congress. Progress sweet progress.

Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    How ironic would it be if he doesn't pass the background check?

Seems most anti gun people are only turned after they or someone close to them is a victim of a bad crime.
    Or if they tell him he doesn't have "just cause" (it is CA he's applying to, I don't recall if the county is CCW friendly or not)
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

He's getting there. One of his readers now needs to inform him that the 2A does not "provide the right" to own a firearm - it merely recognizes a pre-existing natural right.

If the 2A was overturned tomorrow, we would all still have a right to own a firearm - it would just be "illegal."

The fight goes on...
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Wow.

I'm impressed. He seems to be coming around.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Very impressive, especially coming from California and from a liberal no less!
    We shall see what this turns into, but so far it seems very positive and a very nice change of pace.

~Steve
    BETTER TO BE TRIED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6
    Hesitation kills faster than a bullet.
    If your head is up your *$$ you are unaware of danger. You are in the perfect position to kiss it goodbye.
    Open Carry LAW for Pennsylvania
    http://www.thecrimsonpirate.com/rtkb...pdate_2009.pdf

Man great article, hope he sticks with it. If any follow up articles are written, please post them here, thanks!

I hope when he gets to the range his favorite gun becomes an AR-15...
    Glock 27,Hi-Point .380, S&W 3913, RIA 5" Tactical

NRA Member/Supporter

"Government is not the solution to our problems; government is the problem." - President Ronald Reagan

Not to troll..... but I want to make a point about what 10th mountain said.....

Our natural god given right is NOT to own firearms, it is to defend ourselves by any means possible.......
    The 2nd Amend. only gives us the right to have arms...... should that be taken away, we would still have the right to self defense by any means possible.

We need to make sure that we don't confuse our god-given rights, with those granted by the constitution. Owning a firearm by itself is not a god-given right, it a constitutional right.
    Sarcasm - Just one of the many services I provide!
    Ever wonder why massacres never happen at a gun range??
    You might find me dead in a ditch one day, but I'll be in a pile of brass. - Stolen from Zebra64

VIP Member
    My American Rifleman mag had an article about a Washington Post writer, Christian Davenport ,who went to his editor and told him that he wanted to go and get training , buy a pistol, etc,etc , all the while, living in D. C.
    The higher ups gave them a hard time at first ,but they finally conceeded ,and even paid for the process.

Here is the link for further reading.

NRA-ILA :: Washington DC: Strict regulations make gun ownership difficult

*"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional,
    illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream
    media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to
    pick up a turd by the clean end**.**" Author Unknown
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

I liked the fact that he quoted some advice and reasons from reasonable-sounding gun owners. That may help others see that concealed carry types aren't Rambos.

I've enjoyed watching this unfold. I haven't read his other articles but only read here and online that he is very liberal. I'm helping get the liberal-turned-prospective gun owner story put out there by linking to the article on some other social media accounts.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links