Talking to a guy at a shop; "Fat people have it easy" - Page 2

Talking to a guy at a shop; "Fat people have it easy"

This is a discussion on Talking to a guy at a shop; "Fat people have it easy" within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I guess I can either lose weight to get 1 size smaller than my pants or just keep pocket carrying....I'll probably just keep pocket carrying. ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I guess I can either lose weight to get 1 size smaller than my pants or just keep pocket carrying....I'll probably just keep pocket carrying.

My buddy custom made me some pocket holsters...I'll try to post some pics. They work great and he made them in 10 minutes.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    I am 5' 11", weigh 150, and conceal a Glock 21 with no difficulty.

VIP Member
    I'm a big guy at 6' and 275, but I can easily carry a G19 or G26 IWB at about 3:30-4:30 or over my right kidney palm out. I pocket carry a G26 or 642 most of the time in the summer...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Machina View Post
    I had a funny conversation at my local shop/range. I was talking to sales guy about my class coming up, the gun I had and I was going to conceal and he said he carried a full size glock. I asked him how, and he enlightened me:

"You might need to carry a smaller gun. You are relatively skinny"
    Now I'm not too skinny... I powerlift, and although I'm not huge, thought I could conceal a gun because I have a good sized frame.
    "What do you mean?"
    "Fat people have it easy! See, look"
    He grabbed a full size glock from under the counter (I guess his carry was the one in his open holster), checked to make sure it was unloaded, and put it in an appendix carry position in front of his shirt.
    "See? The fat molds around it. I could conceal a 1911 if I wanted to"
    Sure enough the gun pressed in just enough and if he wore a loose shirt it would be concealed.

We had a good laugh. Funny how I learn something new about guns every day, even if it is funny. Myself, however, I will stick to my P11 and 'skinny' frame
    Worked for this guy

HPD: Inmate Hides Gun In Fat Layers - Houston News Story - KPRC Houston

When I started carrying I was 6'0 and about 185. I have a pretty large frame, so 185 is actually a little skinny for me, I looked underfed. I carried IWB all the time, and thanks in part to my big rib cage, I could conceal handguns like a S&W 4" N-frame without any problem. Now that I have developed love handles, there is no way in the world I could comfortably carry a N-frame IWB. At least for me, more weight has made it a lot harder to carry IWB. I suppose that means its time to loose some if it. :)
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

i'm 6'1" and about 245 so i guess i'm one of the smaller big guys but my wife keeps telling me i'm to big so i guess i do need to lose a little. i carry a glock 19 with a supertuck and i does fine with most of my t-shirts but i do have to check before i leave and have had to change t-shirts a couple of times. i thinking of getting a G26 for the summer when all i do is wear t-shirts. i guess i could lose some weight and save the $400+ dollars on another gun but not losing the weight just gives me another reason to buy another gun. i just started carrying so i only have a few pairs of pants that i can fit me and my gun into so i need to get a couple more pair that are a little bigger.

I've substituted food for sex for so long, now I can't even get into my own pants.

(ps. this is a joke about my expanding waisteline, not meant to be dirty, offensive, or anything else....it's a lame attempt on my part for some clean humor at my own expense)
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

KaH
    I feel like anyone can conceal any gun, within reason. I'm a petite 5'2", 125 lb. woman so I don't think I could conceal, say, a S&W 500, without wearing a trenchcoat everywhere...but I could conceal a full-size 1911 almost anywhere on my body without significantly changing my wardrobe. If I wanted to.

My hubby is a big guy at 6', nearly 300 lbs, but he isn't fat - just massive and dense. He can conceal a Taurus PT92 using both his IWB at 3 o'clock and his shoulder rig, and it's invisible. He's still wearing clothes he had before he was even considering concealed carry.

Photos here if you'd like to see his first walk: DSC06671 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Anyway, point is, fat people don't have it easier or worse - everyone can find their ideal carry method and carry almost anything they want...though I do find the image of the fat molding around the gun to be hilarious, if not slightly concerned for the next person to hold that gun...ew.
    Last edited by KaH; December 17th, 2009 at 04:43 AM.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    After reading all of this, and having read KaHs post I realize one thing. I must have like something really odd about me, because I can conceal just about anything given a few minutes of trial and error with my holster collection.
    Seriously, Im carrying a Model 65 S&W revolver with a 4" barrel with just a tshirt untucked, and its actually one of my tighter tshirts....
    So to this one type of body has it easier, not in my experience. It really comes down to how inventive you are and experience, and maybe how big your holster collection is possibly.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by TerriLi View Post
    After reading all of this, and having read KaHs post I realize one thing. I must have like something really odd about me, because I can conceal just about anything given a few minutes of trial and error with my holster collection.
    Seriously, Im carrying a Model 65 S&W revolver with a 4" barrel with just a tshirt untucked, and its actually one of my tighter tshirts....
    So to this one type of body has it easier, not in my experience. It really comes down to how inventive you are and experience, and maybe how big your holster collection is possibly.
    I'm with you! I'm 5'11" and 180 and conceal either my G26 (summer firearm) and/or my Kimber Custom II the rest of the year. I will confess that I had an IWB holster specially made for the Kimber and I wear it at 3:30 position. Extremely comfortable, easy to access, and no-print.
    "A strong body makes a mind strong. As to the exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the Body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind . . . Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks."
    --Thomas Jefferson August 1785

I'm 6'2" 230lbs with a 38" waist. I don't consider myself fat, a chunk maybe, but not tremendously overweight. I carry my G26 or G36 IWB in a variety of holsters @ the 4:00 position with no problem. It's not super comfortable, but it's not all that uncomfortable either.

For me the best carry method I have come up with is a modified belly band that uses a piece of leather attached by velco to the outside to distribute the bulge along my waist line.I also have a piece of leather sewn inside the band to keep the pistol from making direct contact with my skin. I like the way it fits and it keeps my G26 completely concealed and secure at all times. I simply wear my under shirt with the belly band over that and tuck my button down in completely and bend deeply to the left to pull my shirt up a little and I ready to go. I sometimes carry it in my (Galco Horsehide USA 286 IWB) as seen in the pic, when I'm just wearing a cover shirt during the weekend and around town. Very comfortable holster BTW. Anyway, I have tried several holsters over the years and the Belly band for me fills the bill pretty well. myBellyBand.jpg
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    This is an entertaining thread!

I consider myself an "average" sized guy, maybe very slightly on the larger side of average.
    I'm 6'0", 215 (with clothes and "accessories" on). I carry my Sig P220R IWB at 4:30-5:00 in a CB Supertuck. Even with a semi-tight t-shirt, it disappears.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    As a small guy 115-120pounds at 5'8"ish, it is kinda an odd conversation. Considering a lot of people have said you can't carry what I carry, even if you are a bigger guy, meanwhile Im off to the side smirking.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sirdarksoul View Post
    My love handles tend to push the butt outward making ccw a bit more difficult. I'm 5'5 and 165.
    Ditto. I'm 6'4", 310#.

The combination of wide hips and a spare tire push the grip out past armpit width.

Because of this, the shirt drapes directly onto the backstrap, not around the grips.

IMHO, athletic builds are more conducive to CC, as the shoulders tend to be wider than the waist, and shirts (if not overly tight) drape around the handgun

Quote Originally Posted by KaH View Post
    I feel like anyone can conceal any gun, within reason. I'm a petite 5'2", 125 lb. woman so I don't think I could conceal, say, a S&W 500, without wearing a trenchcoat everywhere...but I could conceal a full-size 1911 almost anywhere on my body without significantly changing my wardrobe. If I wanted to.

My hubby is a big guy at 6', nearly 300 lbs, but he isn't fat - just massive and dense. He can conceal a Taurus PT92 using both his IWB at 3 o'clock and his shoulder rig, and it's invisible. He's still wearing clothes he had before he was even considering concealed carry.

Photos here if you'd like to see his first walk: DSC06671 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Anyway, point is, fat people don't have it easier or worse - everyone can find their ideal carry method and carry almost anything they want...though I do find the image of the fat molding around the gun to be hilarious, if not slightly concerned for the next person to hold that gun...ew.
    Im not judging or anything, but um...something is wrong with your hubbys face....
    Andy
    You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas - David Crockett
    When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links