anyone have or use a holster shirt

This is a discussion on anyone have or use a holster shirt within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm waiting on my permit to come in, so I have been looking around at guns and holsters so I'm got everything picked out when ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anyone have or use a holster shirt

I'm waiting on my permit to come in, so I have been looking around at guns and holsters so I'm got everything picked out when I do get it. I plan on buying a glock 26 for my pistol.
    I just came across this Holster shirt and thought it looked pretty interesting.
    Holster Shirts

Does anyone on here use or have one of these shirts? Any information you can give me would be great.

thanks

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    I've tried one, my dad has one. Its a nice option, but if you are skinny in the chest make sure you get a tight fitting one. The pistol if its loose will beat your ribs sore just walking.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

I don't own one personally. It seems that unless you are wearing a loose v-neck shirt, it would be quite hard to draw from. Also the Glock 26 while small is rather wide; I dont know how comfortable it would be. Maybe if you had a small single stack pistol like a Sig P-238 it might work better. Good luck with carrying friend!
    "People should not be afraid of their governments; governments should be afraid of their people".
    -- V for Vendetta

NRA Associate Member

I don't have one and after talking with many firearms instructors and reading several books I think the best draw is from the strong side hip.

Quote Originally Posted by jimtem View Post
    I don't have one and after talking with many firearms instructors and reading several books I think the best draw is from the strong side hip.
    If you're in an upright(standing) position, then yes. If you're seated, then crossdraw generally makes your firearm more accessible.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

In talking to people who've used them, they are best suited for small, light, thin guns. It's not that they can't be used with bigger guns, but they were really designed for "deep concealment" and not ease of draw.

I saw a post by someone who use's one and he said what he did was take a couple of button down shirts, sew the buttons to the button hole's, and sew velcro on both sides of the shirt so that it looks like his shirt is buttoned, but he can simply "rip" the shirt open to gain access to the gun.
    When Guns Are Outlawed, Only Outlaws will have guns

Just remember, When seconds count help is mere minutes away

Also remember, When you go to trial by jury you are putting yourself into the hands of 12 people who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty.

I carry a 26 on a regular basis. My advice is to purchase a shoulder rig, an IWB w/mag carrier and an ankle rig. Every carry option in all types of weather are covered. I love the G26. I think it's one of the best CC weapons on the face of the planet.
    I am not The Word
    I am the parchment on which
    The Word is written

Sponsor
    I don't have this particular brand of holster shirt so I can only hypothesize on it specifically.

It looks to me that this design will not pull the weapon's grip in close to the ribs and make for a large bulge in the under arm area. I do have the 5.11 Holster Tee and use it occasionally. It holds the gun in tight and pulls the grip in close minimizing the profile. I did add an extra section of Velcro as a full size 1911 tends to force the factory supplied closure open. I would also recommend going a size smaller than you usually would with these to ensure a snug fit and ride.

One of our distinguished members, fed_wif_a_sig has several posts and a video or two about different deep concealment shirts and their specific pros and cons. I remember one vid where he has a veritable arsenal concealed and you could see nothing until he divested himself. It was truly impressive.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Try looking at A Better Holster I have 4 of these holster shirts, and normally wear them in the summer when it gets hot out. I carry a Sig229 and have had no problems with this style of holster. Like TerriLi stated, you will want one that fits tight to help in keeping the firearm secure. Hope this helps.

VIP Member
    I agree with ‘jimtem’. If you’re fairly new to handguns or conceal carry, try something a bit more conventional that provides an easier, faster and safer draw.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

I've got the 5.11 holster shirt. I use it from time to time if I need deep concealment. My XD9SC fit in there pretty good. I haven't tried it with the PF9, but I'm sure it would be even better to hide.

Drawing from it will take a good bit longer, but its still better than not packing.

I use a 5.11 Holster Tee occasionally when I need semi-deep concealment. It is comfortable and effectively conceals something like my PM40, but for me doesn't work well with any of my 1911s (3.5 inch or full-size). It does print slightly under only a dress shirt.

I use this option when I am in dress clothes as an option to a SmartCarry. If I am dressed with shirt, tie, and jacket, I leave a button or two unfastened under the tie, which actually allows a fairly quick draw.

Certainly not my first choice for concealed carry, but a good option at times.

CP Lincoln

Would you have to worry about sweat with the tee? There is probably no sweat gard there.

cmb
    You could also try kangaroo carry, worn over a t-shirt may be just as effective and not as costly. I have never tried either. I am a IWB, front pocket, cargo pocket, and rarely ankle.

Best for lightweight guns. Hard to get to your weapon quickly. Takes two hands, too.
    1. See threat
    2. Rip open top shirt with off hand
    3. Draw

This takes time and a second hand that may already be engaged. Unless you have Velcro closures, it rips your shirt buttons off, too. If you're wearing a golf/polo-type shirt, it'll take time and that off hand to pull it up to access the gun.

I prefer an OWB worn under a loose, untucked sport shirt. One hand: lift shirt and draw or slide hand under shirt and draw.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links