Got my permit (FINALLY!)

This is a discussion on Got my permit (FINALLY!) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Congratulations. Mike...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Got my permit (FINALLY!)

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Congratulations.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

I understand there is a range out in Ontario, also one around Panorama Plaza.

NY gee's, can't believe it... Schumer and Hillary must be slipping.

Good for you!
    If its not loaded it just a paper weight!

Mine was pretty rough to get. I think I applied on a Tuesday and got it on that Thursday. Welcome to Montana! Of, course on the down side it takes 7 1/2 months to get a new job here and you need 2 jobs to survive and 3 jobs if you shoot alot! So, everyone has 3 jobs!
    Lions, Tigers, Bears and MTGun! Oh My!

Quote Originally Posted by Roadking51
    I understand there is a range out in Ontario, also one around Panorama Plaza.
    ill look into those. A co-worker belongs to genesee conservation league. I've also heard of the rochester rifle club. Thanks for the ones you knew about.

Congrats Darkvibe...

I have been waiting almost 8 months now in Monroe County. I turned my application two days before you, and still no word. Unfortunately, I live in the city of Roch so I think this is where the holdup is. I got a call into the pistol office to see what's going on? Hopefully I'll be joining you at the range in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by slimjim
    I have been waiting almost 8 months now in Monroe County. I turned my application two days before you, and still no word. Unfortunately, I live in the city of Roch so I think this is where the holdup is. I got a call into the pistol office to see what's going on? Hopefully I'll be joining you at the range in the near future.
    I had called after 6 months and the woman at the pistol office said that the background checks in albany were done and it was pending with the sheriff's office. Yours is with the city court for sure.

What did you put down for reasons for needing a permit? According to packing.org the city puts restrictions on them but the county usually does not. Someone i know got his with the city about 2-3 years ago and his is not restricted so I dont know how accurate packing.org is on that issue.

Hope you get it soon. And check your pm's. I'm going to send you a message.

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar
    Darkvibe, Well congratulations. I'm glad you made it. However, it is outrageous that free Americans have to wait months for overbearing state and local officials to impede the right of a citizen to protect himself while the officials "decide" if it's OK for you to have a permit. Wasn't it Jefferson that said something about needing a revolution periodically?

Wow!

I live in Victor and had my un-restricted permit in 7 weeks. For anyone thats not from Roc-cha-cha....Victor is about 20 miles from downtown and in a different county.....

County by Couny here in NY....but as several have said...at least we got it!

Congrats.....I used to live in Monroe but after doing some research I decided to wait until I moved to a better county before applying.

Ontario is pretty close to shall issue....I was investigated out the wahzoo......I felt like I was getting a security clearence...but got unrestricted no problem....

Have fun with that XD .40 I love my service.

As far as ranges.....I was looking into the GCL. Just haven't got around to joining.....looks like a nice place....they hold lots of pistol classes and everyone needs as much practice as possible.

Congrats again......when you work this hard to get them you can be darn sure we NY'ers value our rights.

7 weeks? I wish it was that quick here.

I'm going to check out rochester rifle club. GCL is really nice but it costs something like $160 a year with the indoor range fee. Rochester Rifle club was a lot cheaper and closer to me. I need a sponsor for it though. Hopefully i can show up there some saturday and find some random person shooting that would be willing to sponsor me. I look like a stand up guy so hopefully i can get someone to do it. I don't know any members to sponsor me.

Darkvibe...

PM sent.

When you say pistol permit do you mean CCW? Permit to carry? Or just a permit to buy and own them. You say you can now pick up the guns you bought? We don't need a ccw permit to own guns just to carry concealed. Maybe Im just confused, straighten me out. I thought New York just didnt give out CCW permits.
    George Washington: "A free people ought to be armed."

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Why 7 1/2 mos. ???? Cuz they can !! SAD,VERY SAD. -------

Quote Originally Posted by Rugerman
    When you say pistol permit do you mean CCW? Permit to carry? Or just a permit to buy and own them. You say you can now pick up the guns you bought? We don't need a ccw permit to own guns just to carry concealed. Maybe Im just confused, straighten me out. I thought New York just didnt give out CCW permits.
    In NY, in order to own a handgun you must have a NYS Pistol Permit. If in public, it must be carried concealed. I think we use the terms interchangeably. New York City doesn't seem to issue permits unless your a bigshot, but north of that they are issued by the specific county you live in (still a state permit). These counties tend to differ on ease of attaining and wait time. Hope this answers your question.

Yep, what slimjim said. You need a permit to purchase any handgun here. Ny will only issue two types of permits. A premesis permit to keep a gun at a business or a carry permit to posess and carry.

My permit is unrestricted meaning i can purchase, posess and carry a handgun anywhere I want except places like gov't buildings and city and county parks (county law). Some counies will stamp the permit "for hunting, target, camping, hiking" or something similar. In that case you are allowed to purchase but only carry when going to, from or participating in one of the activities listed on your permit. Both cases require concealment in public. If you carry out of your restrictions it is not a criminal offence but you can have your permit suspended or revoked.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links