Amazing Florida

This is a discussion on Amazing Florida within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My hat's off to the folks in Florida's Division of Licensing. I received the notice to renew my CWP about two weeks ago. My license ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amazing Florida

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar

Amazing Florida

My hat's off to the folks in Florida's Division of Licensing.

I received the notice to renew my CWP about two weeks ago. My license expires in April of 2010. Since I assumed it would take a few weeks to process, I got my new photo, filled out the necessary paperwork, and mailed everything on 12/8 09. My check cleared the bank on 12/11/09 and on 12/17/09 my renewed permit arrived in the mail.

Nine days, door to door. Florida has generally been a very firearms friendly state, but this was amazing. Good job Florida.

By the way, Gov. Chas. Crist wants to be Senator Crist. Think that had anything to do with this efficiency??? I'm just saying.
    Wisdom of the Older Gunner:
    To carry a firearm and not have to use it is a blessing
    To not carry a firearm and need one is avoidable and sometimes fatal stupidity

2. Remove Ads

That's got to be a new record.
    Good news is that permits are being issued rather quickly, hopefully the bad news is NOT that fewer individuals are getting their permits.
    And yes...I think Crist's political future may have something to do with the quick service. Of the things that I dislike about Crist, his support to gun owners is not one of them.

Stay armed......stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by older gunner View Post

I received the notice to renew my CWP about two weeks ago. My license expires in April of 2010. Since I assumed it would take a few weeks to process, I got my new photo, filled out the necessary paperwork, and mailed everything on 12/8 09. My check cleared the bank on 12/11/09 and on 12/17/09 my renewed permit arrived in the mail.

Nine days, door to door. Florida has generally been a very firearms friendly state, but this was amazing. Good job Florida.

By the way, Gov. Chas. Crist wants to be Senator Crist. Think that had anything to do with this efficiency??? I'm just saying.
    It is good that you received your permit renewal. It is also good that you received it in a timely manner.

This would not seem out of the ordinary to me. You have already had a permit that was in good standing. Since you are not a BG, it was only a matter of the state clearing your check.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

I have one friend that got his permit in 9 days, and one that got ther permit in FOUR, yes FOUR (4) days.

Of course we live in Tallahassee, but 4 days? That is amazing!

The Dep. of Agriculture has been spitting these things out fast lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Coastie 585 View Post
    I have one friend that got his permit in 9 days, and one that got ther permit in FOUR, yes FOUR (4) days.

Of course we live in Tallahassee, but 4 days? That is amazing!

The Dep. of Agriculture has been spitting these things out fast lately.
    Dept of Ag issues Fl conceal licenses? I'm stumped. Tx Dept of Ag issues my pest control licenses but that makes sense because we are an extension of crop dusting, enviromental concerns, etc. What's the connection of guns and Ag in FL?

I always assumed every state involved it's public safety/law enforcement entity.

Things are still rather slow, overall, it seems. My son requested an appointment with the regional office, in Orlando, in late October, and the appt. is set for mid January. But, at least it should process quickly from there, hopefully.
    Extremism in the Defense of Liberty is No Vice--Moderation in the Pursuit of Justice is No Virtue. - Senator Barry Goldwater

Quote Originally Posted by CommonMan101 View Post
    Dept of Ag issues Fl conceal licenses? I'm stumped. Tx Dept of Ag issues my pest control licenses but that makes sense because we are an extension of crop dusting, enviromental concerns, etc. What's the connection of guns and Ag in FL?

I always assumed every state involved it's public safety/law enforcement entity.
    FL Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services.

Beyond that, who knows.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

I applied for a replacement card and received it in 5 business days!

We are the gunshine state!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Renewals are much simplier than initial applications, but considering the massive backlog that section has, nine days is excellent. And, now it's good for 7 years.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    That's got to be a new record.
    Good news is that permits are being issued rather quickly, hopefully the bad news is NOT that fewer individuals are getting their permits.
    And yes...I think Crist's political future may have something to do with the quick service. Of the things that I dislike about Crist, his support to gun owners is not one of them.

Stay armed......stay safe!
    I can tell you that it is NOT due to a reduction in CCW permit requests. My wife took her class and you can now go directly to a Dept of Ag office where they do photo, fingerprinting, everything and you get it back in 2 weeks. Well, she called for an appt and they said that they do them every half hour and all appts are booked through mid January. I'd say that is pretty good proof that they are still getting quite a few requests.

What I read here is good news though, I can tell her to submit the old fashioned way and she may get it sooner.
    I am the Walrus...Goo Goo Goo Joob

“Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.” –Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by older gunner View Post

Florida is #1

Quote Originally Posted by CommonMan101 View Post

The object, when the reform movement occured, was to have the licenses issued from a totally unbiased and independant authority.

Experience in other jurisdictions has clearly shown that when left in the hands of LE or Judicial powers that arbitrary issuance was a real problem.........IE: W.Va had to REMOVE granting authority from it'
    s judiciary......SC SLED is another good example of LE foot dragging in such matters.

Prior to the '87 bill, licenses were issued by the various county commissions.........some did so readily, some, primarily in larger more urbanized county's didn't......regardless of the FSC ruling that a license was a matter of right and not discretion. Apparently our system has worked at LEAST as well as those seated in PS circles, and probably better than most.

[QUOTE=CommonMan101;1413566]Dept of Ag issues Fl conceal licenses? I'm stumped. Tx Dept of Ag issues my pest control licenses but that makes sense because we are an extension of crop dusting, enviromental concerns, etc. What's the connection of guns and Ag in FL?

Pesticide licenses allows you to handle materials to get rid of pest.
    CCW permit allows you to handle material to get rid of pest.
    Makes sense to me.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by dogrunner View Post
    The object, when the reform movement occured, was to have the licenses issued from a totally unbiased and independant authority.

Experience in other jurisdictions has clearly shown that when left in the hands of LE or Judicial powers that arbitrary issuance was a real problem.........IE: W.Va had to REMOVE granting authority from it'
    s judiciary......SC SLED is another good example of LE foot dragging in such matters.

Prior to the '87 bill, licenses were issued by the various county commissions.........some did so readily, some, primarily in larger more urbanized county's didn't......regardless of the FSC ruling that a license was a matter of right and not discretion. Apparently our system has worked at LEAST as well as those seated in PS circles, and probably better than most.
    That makes a lot of sense. Thanks.

I'm always curious about the differences and why. I think it helps raise awareness of what's wrong with our own states when we consider what the other states have going on. I'm still leaning towards Vermont being the one who has it right the most - but I'm open for being taught differently.

What I see is that most people think their state has it right but I think that's a result of "What I grew up in is the way it should be" without really stepping back and considering everything.

Like, I find it interesting that Wisconsin has, pretty much, the opposite rules that Texas has. I'm sure the avg citizen in each thinks their state has it right but how can that be? One allows open carry and not concealed and the other allows concealed but not open carry. Even if you add the two together you still don't equal Vermont.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links