Defensive Carry banner

State Trooper Warned Me

7K views 53 replies 51 participants last post by  Hotbrass 
#1 · (Edited)
A couple of weeks ago, wife and I were traveling on I-15 south to central Utah to get a new dog from a breeder, we lost our other family companion earlier this fall after 15 yrs. On the way we were talking and listening to the radio and the next thing I saw, a light bar in my rear view mirror. I looked down at my speedo and sure enough, I was speeding about 15+ over the limit. Limit was 65 and I was pushing 80 ... oops! So, I pull over right away, turn on the interior lights, get my wallet out with DL and CCW permit in hand. With my hands on top of the steering wheel, the trooper comes up on the passenger side of the car. He taps on the window and my wife rolls it down. "Drivers license and insurance please", he asked. I handed him my DL and permit and informed him that I was carrying a concealed weapon. The trooper asked where it was, I told him at 3 o'clock on my right hip. He asked, what kind of gun? I told him it was a .45 cal model 1911. "Oh, a colt?" he said. No, I said it was a Kimber ... "Oh nice" he said. I asked how fast I was going and he said he clocked me at 78mph. He asked me to sit still and he would be right back. He returned to the cruiser, ran my info and returned. The trooper handed me back my DL and permit and said, "I am giving you a verbal warning to slow down, your history is clean and I believe you just werent paying attention to the speedometer". He says, "The only reason I am giving you this verbal warning is because you are actually carrying a gun". He said, "More people should be carrying a concealed weapon these days". My wife was flabergasted. I'm sure her jaw hit her lap when he said this.

Long story short, the trooper was pleased that I was carrying my handgun, commended me on my efforts to protect myself and family and let me go with a verbal warning. How cool is that?

He was very professional and conducted the stop very well. Kudos to Utah Highway Patrol, your officer today showed himself as a class act.

ETA: Utah does not require permit holders to notify LE that they are carrying. The officer reminded me of this and I explained to him that I thought he had every right to know who he was dealing with right up front. He appreciated the fact that I was honest and did notify him of my weapon. I guess I will continue to notify LE of my weapon no matter if it's required or not. I dont think it can hurt to tell them up front.

See less See more
#2 ·
Wow, hearing this was a nice way to start my day. I've heard a lot of stories about pleasant LEO encounters where they paid no attention to the concealed carry, but never one who was actually openly pleased that someone was carrying. Thanks for sharing!

#44 ·
Funny!!!^^^^^^^

I wish all LEOs were that intelligent. Understanding that armed citizens help make their jobs easier and safer.

YEP!!!^^^^^^^^^

Smart trooper!
can't hurt to wear a tin foil hat either.
You were lucky to say the last. Most cops aren't happy to know you have a gun, some may even be aggrivated, but few cops are going to commend you for it.

I hope my first encounter with a police officer will go half as good as your encounter did. Rogerthat

"When you were born you were crying and everyone around you was smiling. Live your life so that when you die you are smiling and everyone around you is crying."

#8 ·
It's really nice to hear something good about our LEO's for a change. Thanks for sharing.

#10 · (Edited)
Those are the kinds of cops I enjoy hearing about...now slow down.:wink:
Adtually, I probably would have been the one 'passing' you.:22a:

Stay armed...stay safe!

#11 ·
I believe that LEOs know that the THIN BLUE LINE of enforcement is stretched very thin, and folks who have CHLs and carry are a asset.

#12 ·
Wait...you actually got stopped for going 78 in a 65? Around here you're liable to get shot at for going any slower than that. You usually have to be doing at least 80+ and doing something else stupid to get the Troopers attention.

Sweet story though... I'm always glad to hear about more of few good people out there

#38 ·
Wait...you actually got stopped for going 78 in a 65? Around here you're liable to get shot at for going any slower than that. You usually have to be doing at least 80+ and doing something else stupid to get the Troopers attention.
You wouldn't like driving in Oregon.

The highest speed limit on the state is 65, and you're likely to have a red and blue rave if you go over 70.

#14 ·
NICE! (Not the speeding, but the rest. BTW, in agreement with the trooper about your kimber, nice indeed.) I like to hear encounters like this one.

Stay safe
~Steve

#15 ·
Thanks for the post. Where were you on I-15? About 5 miles south of me on I-15, (MP 160) it changes to 75 and stays at that or 80 the rest of the way to AZ.

Good stop, good interaction. The best way to have a good interaction with a LEO is to stay courteous. You did that, and he did as well.

Cars have cruise for several reasons, the ONLY reason I use it is because I have a "lead foot". Cruise works great to keep me from speeding any more than I plan on.

#18 ·
I had almost the same exact story happen to me a year ago. I was going 80 downhill on the interstate not paying much attention because i was exausted from being up at 2:30 am and just worked 12 hours. I showed him my permit and told him i had a gun in the center console. He came back with a written warning and told me to have a nice day. As soon as I got my CCW a couple years ago the police seem to look at me in a totally different manner.

Edit: Forgot to mention it was an NC State Trooper, its almost unheard of to just get a warning from them.

#19 ·
Wow, that is almost the perfect interaction. A very intelligent officer that appreciates and rewards good upstanding people. He did his job by warning you and made a great impression that will probably do more to control your speeding than a ticket.

Joker1

#20 ·
Great interaction. I would bet that your courtesy and politeness also got you a warning instead of a trip outside the car and a lot of hassle.

I had something not dissimilar a week ago. Some guys at church caught a couple of kids vandalizing our building, and since I am the pastor of course I got there quick. Eventually talked to the LEO and told him I was CCW and carrying, asked him if he was ok with that. His response: "Sure, as long as you don't point it at me!"

Glad it worked out well for you.

#25 ·
Theres two reasons why he asked you what kind of gun it was.
A. He wanted to see if you actually knew. Someone who has a stolen gun may not actually know what kind it is.
or
B. He too is a firearm enthusiast and may even be one of the many police officers who post on gun forums. He probably related to you if that was the case and felt like you should be given a break because he knows some cops will give you a hard time for carrying, and that was his way of counteracting that letting you know he was on our side.

You were lucky to say the last. Most cops aren't happy to know you have a gun, some may even be aggrivated, but few cops are going to commend you for it.

I hope my first encounter with a police officer will go half as good as your encounter did.

#26 ·
Up until recently, I’ve advocated not disclosing unless I’m required. However, I’m beginning to change my mind... Now watch; I’ll get stopped for going too slow; present my permit and tell the LEO, and then I’ll be thrown over the hood as he tells me ‘I failed the attitude test’. :blink:

All kidding aside, there does appear to be more instances whereby the LEO's appreciate the disclosure in a very nice way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.