Why Do I Carry in My Little 'Ol Town? - Page 2

Why Do I Carry in My Little 'Ol Town?

This is a discussion on Why Do I Carry in My Little 'Ol Town? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Recently, three guys from the hood in north St Louis drove more than 100 miles to steal two cars. Of course the neighbors snitched and ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why Do I Carry in My Little 'Ol Town?

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    Recently, three guys from the hood in north St Louis drove more than 100 miles to steal two cars. Of course the neighbors snitched and they got caught about sixty miles from St Louie. Every little town and local sheriff got in on this chase and they finally got them with some spike strips. Looked them up on casenet. All were listed. Two had been in jail. One was still on parole. They will find the local judicial process is less of a revolving door out here in the sticks. I hope the prosecutors and judges send the city thugs a message that gets back to the hood. We have plenty of our own criminals and don't need any from the city.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    The first incident is the perfect example of a topic we have discussed repeatedly: DON'T ANSWER THE DARN DOOR by opening the door.

If you didn't invite them, or don't know them well, leave them on the porch. If you need to, install a peep hole doodad.

Some folks here say they don't want to feel paranoid. Perhaps where these guys live, they see the Publisher's Clearinghouse van every day, or the Playboy bunny bus breaks down in their drive way.

Me? Not so much.
    I gotta agree. The other night I heard the door bell ring. Around 8:30 PM or so. I went to the door, turned on the outside light and looked out the side window. Some guy apparently trying the door to door sales of something or another. I didn't open the door and simply asked him loudly what he wanted. Couldn't quite understand his spiel with the door closed.... didn't matter. I cut him off and told him I wasn't interested. He left. Good thing for him since I had by .45 auto cocked and locked in my right hand.
    Glock, Colt, S&W,Beretta,ParaOrdnance
    Springfields, Browning, Keltec... to name a few.

TSRA, NRA, IDPA, IPSC, USPSA
    NRA Certified RSO and Instructor
    Certified CHL Instructor in Texas and Lousisiana

My area is so crime free,that the Hidalgo County Sheriffs Dept. is going to start giving classes on how to defend yourself against home invasions and Firearms training.It's really bad down here right across the border
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    There was a period when I sold my guns and quietly put my head in the sand. I took on the vision that my exposure to crime was so low that it would be 1:1,000,000 chance of me being a victim. Then something happened and I realized the odds are now more like 1:100. As our economy continues to tank, the ratio will continue to increase against us all. 'Change we can believe in...'
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by DBRideout View Post
    I take exception to being "paranoid" if you have a weapon readily available.

Are you paranoid to have smoke detectors in your home? Are you paranoid to have fire extinguishers in home/car? Are you paranoid to never go below the half way mark on your gas tank? Are you paranoid to have some extra cash, food, water, medical supplies handy?... I call it "Being Prepared"!
    There ya go.

Maybe this has something to do with it?

multimediafinal

VIP Member
    The first incident is the perfect example of a topic we have discussed repeatedly: DON'T ANSWER THE DARN DOOR by opening the door.

If you didn't invite them, or don't know them well, leave them on the porch. If you need to, install a peep hole doodad.

Some folks here say they don't want to feel paranoid. Perhaps where these guys live, they see the Publisher's Clearinghouse van every day, or the Playboy bunny bus breaks down in their drive way.

Me? Not so much.
    YEP!!!^^^^^^ Just like Some people think just because the phone rings ya gotta answer it

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    If the Playboy Bunny Bus broke down in my driveway, just my luck I'd be at work. The wife would tell me all about it, and maybe even get an autograph for herself, but forget to get a PIC and autograph for me.

Biker
    YEP!!!^^^^ My luck too

Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    Tinley Park Massacre

Of course the Illinois legislature has determined in its wisdom that six women shot execution style and five of them murdered is a better outcome than one of them defending herself and the other five with a concealed handgun.

ILL. Leg. = Buffoons^^^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by DvlDgSoldier View Post
    Maybe this has something to do with it?

multimediafinal
    Frightening^^^^^^^

"Only a coward supports gun control, you know how to stop car jacking? Shoot the carjacker. If someone is going to kill me for my Buick, I'm gonna shoot until I'm out of ammo, and then I'll call 911."
    Ted Nugent, People Magazine, 1994
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post

Stay armed...stay alert...stay safe!

Heh, a warm feeling to my heart does this bring. Never gets old! Well said -- per the usual.
    It is utterly illogical to believe that passing laws to reduce gun violence will be successful when those who are commiting the gun violence do not obey the law.

Couldn't help but notice that the second story described a white male as the aggressor but the first had no ethnic description. In this PC world it is okay to show what a problem the white male is but no other race as the media would not want to be accused of showing prejudice.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilDog7781 View Post
    To all the sheep who question me and say that I am "just paranoid":
    Why do I choose to have a Concealed Handgun License and am prepared to protect my family and myself inside and outside my home? Here are two examples from my little home town:

South Tyler Robbery Probed
    Posted: Thursday, 17th December 2009 11:26AM

TYLER -- Tyler police are investigating the robbery of several individuals in their south Tyler apartment. It happened around 7:00 last night in the 2700 block of South Broadway. When the victims answered a knock at their door, three suspects, two of which were armed, entered the apartment. A girlfriend of one of the victims arrived at the apartment while the suspects were inside and was also held at gunpoint.

The suspects were described as between the ages of 16 and 24. One suspect had a ski mask covering his face and another one had a black beanie cap on. They took several electronic items, including a big screen television, and left the apartment. It is unknown if the suspects left the scene on foot or had a vehicle waiting on them. One of the victims received minor injuries during the incident, but refused medical attention.

Aggravated Assault Probed
    Posted: Thursday, 17th December 2009 11:25AM

TYLER -- Tyler police are investigating an aggravated assault that occurred late yesterday afternoon. It occurred at Loop 323 and Highway 69 North. The victim, a 46 year old man, told officers he was south bound on Highway 69 coming from Lindale, when a white male 55-60 driving a dark colored Toyota Matrix pulled up beside him honking and gesturing. Trying to avoid a confrontation the victim accelerated away and continued south.

As the victim approached the Loop on Highway 69, the Toyota pulled around in front of the victim, slammed on the brakes and exited the vehicle. The suspect approached the victim’s car yelling and threatening to kill him. The suspect then went back to his car where he pulled out a handgun and said he was going to kill him. The victim then pulled around the suspect vehicle and left. There were no injuries and no shots were fired.

'Nuff said.

While I advocate everyone who can carry should carry when they feel it is right or they just want to, Tyler, Texas is not exactly a little home town like one might be led to believe, 108,000+ is not exactly your Mom and Pop little town of 12,000 or 2,500 or even 600 in the middle of the Iowa Corn Fields ok.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

I know exactly what you mean we just had a drive by in our little town of Milbridge, Maine. I absolutly can't believe it but I guess it just goes to show you anything can and will happen anywhere it so desires. WLBZ2.com | Bangor, ME | Washington County Sheriff's Office finds gun used in drive-by shooting
    Live in yellow or die in white.

Me? Not so much.
    I agree. I live in a limited access development. This means, there is only one way in via car, and limitless ways out on foot.

If you come to my door uninvited, the persons behind the door are prepared to 'repel boarders'.

My little home town is now a sprawling southern suburb of Dayton, Ohio.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links