Why Do I Carry in My Little 'Ol Town?

This is a discussion on Why Do I Carry in My Little 'Ol Town? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; To all the sheep who question me and say that I am "just paranoid": Why do I choose to have a Concealed Handgun License and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Do I Carry in My Little 'Ol Town?

Why Do I Carry in My Little 'Ol Town?

To all the sheep who question me and say that I am "just paranoid":
    Why do I choose to have a Concealed Handgun License and am prepared to protect my family and myself inside and outside my home? Here are two examples from my little home town:

South Tyler Robbery Probed
    Posted: Thursday, 17th December 2009 11:26AM

TYLER -- Tyler police are investigating the robbery of several individuals in their south Tyler apartment. It happened around 7:00 last night in the 2700 block of South Broadway. When the victims answered a knock at their door, three suspects, two of which were armed, entered the apartment. A girlfriend of one of the victims arrived at the apartment while the suspects were inside and was also held at gunpoint.

The suspects were described as between the ages of 16 and 24. One suspect had a ski mask covering his face and another one had a black beanie cap on. They took several electronic items, including a big screen television, and left the apartment. It is unknown if the suspects left the scene on foot or had a vehicle waiting on them. One of the victims received minor injuries during the incident, but refused medical attention.

Aggravated Assault Probed
    Posted: Thursday, 17th December 2009 11:25AM

TYLER -- Tyler police are investigating an aggravated assault that occurred late yesterday afternoon. It occurred at Loop 323 and Highway 69 North. The victim, a 46 year old man, told officers he was south bound on Highway 69 coming from Lindale, when a white male 55-60 driving a dark colored Toyota Matrix pulled up beside him honking and gesturing. Trying to avoid a confrontation the victim accelerated away and continued south.

As the victim approached the Loop on Highway 69, the Toyota pulled around in front of the victim, slammed on the brakes and exited the vehicle. The suspect approached the victim’s car yelling and threatening to kill him. The suspect then went back to his car where he pulled out a handgun and said he was going to kill him. The victim then pulled around the suspect vehicle and left. There were no injuries and no shots were fired.

'Nuff said.
    "We're surrounded? Good, now we can kill the ******** in any direction."
    ~ Colonel Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, USMC

2. Remove Ads

another good example of anywhere...anytime....anyone....
    Glock 27,Hi-Point .380, S&W 3913, RIA 5" Tactical

NRA Member/Supporter

"Government is not the solution to our problems; government is the problem." - President Ronald Reagan

The first incident is the perfect example of a topic we have discussed repeatedly: DON'T ANSWER THE DARN DOOR by opening the door.

If you didn't invite them, or don't know them well, leave them on the porch. If you need to, install a peep hole doodad.

Some folks here say they don't want to feel paranoid. Perhaps where these guys live, they see the Publisher's Clearinghouse van every day, or the Playboy bunny bus breaks down in their drive way.

Me? Not so much.

If the Playboy Bunny Bus broke down in my driveway, just my luck I'd be at work. The wife would tell me all about it, and maybe even get an autograph for herself, but forget to get a PIC and autograph for me.

Biker
    Last edited by BikerRN; December 18th, 2009 at 12:55 PM. Reason: spelling

Good story, thanks for bringing it. In a two week period recently, we had 3 shooting incidents near my house. Two of which were right down the street and the third involved robbers and automatic weapons, I believe a couple of cops were injured in that scenario. My wife will no longer walk the dogs without me when it is dark, and I am fine with that.
    Smith & Wesson M&P 9c
    Ruger LCP with CT laser grip
    Emerson Combat Karambit
    Ol' .22LR

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    If the Playboy Bunny Bus broke down in my driveway, just my luck I'd be at work. The wife would tell me all about it, and maybe even get an autograph for herself, but forget to get a PIC and autograph for me.

Biker
    Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    If you are living your life worried about being a victim all the time and not enjoying life to the fullest, you are already a victim...
    -You don't know what you don't see-

1*

NRA Member

There really are no 'safe' places...dirtbags are everywhere...times are getting tougher and people will do anything to survive...drugs complicate the issue.

Stay armed...stay alert...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    There really are no 'safe' places...dirtbags are everywhere...times are getting tougher and people will do anything to survive...drugs complicate the issue.

Stay armed...stay alert...stay safe!
    +1 I have noticed alot more crime in my town as well..
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Crime is an equal opportunity thing, not restricted to the "bad" parts of towns. A lot of us are noticing crime more nowadays, especially near Christmas. Seems to be an increase during this time of year.

Even in my so-called "safe" neighborhood, I still look around because we too have had our share of criminal activity.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Tinley Park Massacre

Of course the Illinois legislature has determined in its wisdom that six women shot execution style and five of them murdered is a better outcome than one of them defending herself and the other five with a concealed handgun.

Hello from a fellow Tylerite. You are not alone in your desire to protect your family, and Tyler is not as "rosy" as it once was.

Illegal-alien invaders from Mexico?

BG's will travel from inner city KCMO to a small town 30 miles north to troll for easy pickings.

Noticing more and more crime here as well. Be it shootings/drivebys, robberies or assaults. More and more happens in my neck of the woods and as everyone else has and will say - "It wasnt like this X number of years ago".

~Steve
    BETTER TO BE TRIED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6
    Hesitation kills faster than a bullet.
    If your head is up your *$$ you are unaware of danger. You are in the perfect position to kiss it goodbye.
    Open Carry LAW for Pennsylvania
    http://www.thecrimsonpirate.com/rtkb...pdate_2009.pdf

I take exception to being "paranoid" if you have a weapon readily available.

Are you paranoid to have smoke detectors in your home? Are you paranoid to have fire extinguishers in home/car? Are you paranoid to never go below the half way mark on your gas tank? Are you paranoid to have some extra cash, food, water, medical supplies handy?... I call it "Being Prepared"!
    “Most people do not really want freedom, because freedom involves responsibility, and most people are frightened of responsibility.”

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”

Sigmund Freud

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links