Outback Steakhouse (again)

This is a discussion on Outback Steakhouse (again) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well done! I wont go into any establishment that is so signed, armed or not....

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Outback Steakhouse (again)

Well done!
    I wont go into any establishment that is so signed, armed or not.
    “Most people do not really want freedom, because freedom involves responsibility, and most people are frightened of responsibility.”

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”

Sigmund Freud

2. Remove Ads

Just checked they are not listed in the no carry list for Michigan from MCRGO so it must be a local thing

VIP Member
    Thanks; I too will stop visiting 'Outback Steakhouse' Restaurant.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

I have visited the Outback on Merchants Road in Knoxville, TN. I dont recall if they had a sign posted. I carried my weapon inside regardless. I will not be dining there in the future.
    I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit

I've been eating at Outback since they first opened. I have yet to see one posted, and I've eaten at them in at least a dozen states.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    I've been eating at Outback since they first opened. I have yet to see one posted, and I've eaten at them in at least a dozen states.
    Another person who has experienced this same issue of Outback not allowing CCW folks:

Tennessee Firearms Assoc. Inc. • View topic - Chain Restuarants Posted in All States?

After my last meal at Outback, I swore I would never go back (terrible food and service). Now, I have one more reason.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DBRideout View Post
    Well done!
    I wont go into any establishment that is so signed, armed or not.

Nope, me neither!!!^^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by ntkb View Post
    Just checked they are not listed in the no carry list for Michigan from MCRGO so it must be a local thing

I like that site(MCRGO).!!^^^^^^^^^

Can't the powers that be find a loophole in this idiocracy,
    As in, they are denying cpl holders of some form of civil right.
    Kinda like a black lady who did'nt want to be forced to sit at the back of the bus, way back when.
    I know its not a racial thing but geezzzz!!
    Can I sue an establishment for denying me the right to protect myself lawfully while on their property, if something were to happen???

"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil"
    Thomas Mann
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Outbacks in Minnesota I've been at are not posted.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    I have not seen an Outback posted and have been to many of them in different locations. Sounds as if it might be the policy of the management for that store.
    NRA life member.

VIP Member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Majorlk

Same here.

Quote Originally Posted by ccman View Post
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Majorlk

Same here.

OK. Let me make this particular site's thread more visible (from Tennessee Firearms Assoc. Inc. • View topic - Chain Restuarants Posted in All States? [Tennessee Firearms Assoc. Inc. forum]):

Outback restaurants are posted in Tennessee
    by BulletBillSR » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:44 pm

This is a follow up letter I sent to Mr. Joseph Kadow upon receiving a confirmation from his that Outback restaurants are posted as a matter of corporate policy. Perhaps other members might contact Mr. Kadow and let him know how they feel about the subject. The bold print was in my original email.

Bill

July 23, 2009

Dear Mr. Kadow,

Thank you for the response stating "NO GUNS" is a corporate policy of Outback. Yes, I understand the conflict of interest. What I don't understand is why you have chosen to disarm the citizen with a carry permit, yet provide no security in either your restaurant or the parking lot. The criminal, by definition breaks the law, and will pay no attention to your sign. In fact he may even consider it to be a "gun free zone," you know, the ones where most of the mass shootings have occurred, like Luby's Cafeteria; let's not forget Jonny's Sports bar in Nashville. These are places that barred the law abiding carry permit holders from carrying their sidearms into the restaurant, and they obeyed the law. Susan Gratia Hupp lost both her parents and Nicole Goeser lost her husband, both to men who ignored the law.

The majority of people who would feel uncomfortable in the present of an armed permit holder would never know if the person next to them is carrying a gun. We carry discreetly and have never created a disturbance in public places yet your corporate policy doesn't even give us a chance, though we have received 8 hours of classroom training, passed both a written test, a live fire test, and undergone a state/federal background check.

Since your corporate policy is not to allow citizens with carry permit in your restaurants, as is your choice, I will respect that. I will also make my choice not to eat at any Outback or purchase gift cards for our children and grandchildren. Simply put, you say "NO GUNS," I say "NO MONEY FOR OUTBACK." Today we ate at Ruby Tuesdays, whose corporate policy is NOT to post their property. We had a nice, quiet dinner and nobody got shot. The point is that Ruby Tuesday's respect my right to protect myself and family; Outback does not.

Until such time as Outback changes it corporate policy, I will not patronize any Outback. Just wanted to let you know that. Outback is already listed as posted property on our state gun group's web site and I think you will find that most of the 220,000+ carry permit holders will not spend their money in an Outback restaurant.

Thank for clearing things up.

William Noll
    Corryton, TN
    Life NRA, Life GOA, CCRKBA and
    Tennessee Firearms Association

Dear Mr. Noll,

Joe Roberto forwarded your e-mail to me for response. The e-mail Joe sent you accurately states our policy and it is a corporate policy, not a local one.

We have had this policy for some time since one or two other states passed laws similar to Tennessee's recently passed law.

We recognize the conflict of interests between customers who want to bring their guns into the restaurant and other customers who are made uncomfortable by that. I understand you would reach a different conclusion, but hope that although you disagree with our conclusion you can respect the fact that we gave this issue serious consideration.

Joseph Kadow
    Executive Vice President

Sent: Wednesday, July 22, 2009 8:29 PM
    To: Joe Ruberto - JVP 0031
    Subject: Re: Outback Steakhouse

Dear Mr. Doucette:

Thank you for the prompt response but you didn't answer my question--is this corporate policy or that of the local Outback?

I have no idea what your position in the Outback hierarchy is. JVP means nothing to me. I'm just trying to figure out if the "NO GUNS" is a corporate decision, or a local one.

Thank you,

William Noll

From: Joe Ruberto - JVP 0031<mailto:JosephRuberto@Outback.com>
    Sent: Wednesday, July 22, 2009 5:26 PM
    To: wsnoll@comcast.net<mailto:wsnoll@comcast.net>
    Subject: Outback Steakhouse

July 22, 2009

William Noll
    6331 Ricky Allen Rd.
    Corryton, TN 37721

Dear Mr. Noll,

Thank you for your recent email concerning the newly passed gun law in the State of Tennessee. While we respect the right of all citizens to bear arms, it is our decision to not allow people to do so in our restaurants. We are not disrespectful of the rights of gun owners, we merely want all of our guests to feel welcomed and safe, and frankly see no need for guns to be brought into restaurants.

Please feel free to call me if there are any additional concerns or questions.

We look forward to seeing you soon.

Sincerely,

Bruce Doucette
    615-661-8555

I look for signs everywhere and haven't seen one on our local Outback. I do the Virginia Tuck and walk on in with no problem.

I too refuse to partonize stablishments that are posted. Upon having a talk with the manager of our local Magic Mart that WAS posted, I noticed last week that they have now turned their taped paper no weapons sign around where it is now BLANK facing the outside.

Score +1 for common sense and they have now earned my business!!!
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Outhouse will never get my business again no matter what their stance is!

Quote Originally Posted by jem102 View Post
    In TN it just needs to get the point across with some verbiage. The only thing that does not count is the international circle with the line through it alone. It is a criminal offense to disobey a posting in TN and a judge just overturned the new law a few weeks ago so now nowhere that serves alcohol s legal.

If not mistaken, the signage needs to be posted referencing the T.C.A. code (can't remember it verbatum). Just a simple, locally made sign will not get you arrested, but if asked to leave, you must. If the sign is post as per code, then you're looking at big trouble. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Either way, I won't visit the establishment. As for this judge overturning the law, that's the first I've heard of this. What reference? I'd like to see it.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links