Concensus of CC in SC - Page 2

Concensus of CC in SC

This is a discussion on Concensus of CC in SC within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First of all SC is not bad compared to say NC where I can not carry anywhere that I pay for admission. A bank is ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    First of all SC is not bad compared to say NC where I can not carry anywhere that I pay for admission. A bank is NOT a federal institution and you can carry there. If you have a current permit it serves as your backround check. You can find "family" restaurants, ones that do not serve alcohol in a pinch. In 5+ years in Myrtle Beach I have seen ONE valid sign. The IHOP on Bus17.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Hey SC from NY: First off--me too--originally from NYC, then NJ and now 9 years in Charleston. Glad to see your comments. Now all I have to do is convince my wife of 46 years that on our next anniversary we should go to IHOP for dinner. She'll end up using my CCW on me. Hopefully, the groups in SC trying to uphold and expand gun rights will get something accomplished either in legislature of by attorney general clarification/interpretation. You would think that a state that raises the middle finger to the feds with a statewide tax holiday on gun sales would find a way to give its citizens a break on some of our nightly activities. Big difference between sittin at a bar drinkin and going to a fine restaurant and having a glass of wine with my meal. To me, at least, it is that walk out of the restaurant to the car parked on the street at say 10PM that bothers me the most and right now my CCWP ain't worth a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by scorpion12 View Post
    It's my understanding that the ambiguity of the law in regards to restaurants that serve alcohol is the interpretation of the attorney general...
    That is about the best I have heard it put. Right smack dead on.

If you want details there are several threads about it on here under a search for "SC Alcohol" that will come up and have lots of links and explanations and discussions.

I am not understanding the questions about background checks and CWP's... but let me say this. If you have your Concealed Weapons Permit in SC you do not go through the call to NICS for an OK on the sale. You simply fill out the 4473 form and provide a copy of your permit and its done. No call. If thats what you mean? Then no.... you do not have to go through a background check on every purchase of a firearm if you have your CWP in SC.

Sc cwp

If you have a CWP in S.C. you DO NOT have to have the check done when you buy a pistol. Your permit is proof that it has been done and fingerprints on file. They will copy your permit and NOT charge you the 5.00 for the check.

What is this $5 for a check thing you speak of? I have never, even before my CWP was obtained, been charged to run a the check...

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    ..... what in the world is left other than going to WallyWorld and driving around in my car?
    Every where! Even at home.
    Watch the news; people are attacked, raped, robbed, ect. at home, in the parking lots, at ATMs, gas pumps, grocery stores, Hardees, at red lights, at the mall........every where.

So to answer your question with a question: Why wouldn't you carry every where else that you could?

Besides, I have yet to see a single place that is legally posted w/ no conceal carry signage in the upstate.
    Grassroots SC, SC CWP, NH NR-PRL

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Hey Delucas: With all due respect to your post, and I understand and definitely respect your frustrations with society, but I do not know where all these rapes and robberies are occurring in all the locations that you mention ( you make it seem like it is on every street corner in every burb in the nation) but in 68 years it has never happened to my wife, my friends, my relatives or me. I can understand the "what ifs" in your blanket statements; I guess I live a very dull life and your examples are living somewhere next to hell. The interesting thing about this entire forum is the fact that I cannot remember the few times, if ever, that all of these robberies, rapes and mayhem actually occurred to anyone posting in these forums. I agree with you if you are really talking about the "what ifs"; this country is not Iraq and it is not in a state of anarchy and total meltdown as the perps run rampant over the citizenry. I am asleep by 11PM, I do not frequent ATMs, and most of my activities are during daylight hours among people, and I believe I have a heightened sense of my surroundings at all times so as not to be caught off guard in some way, shape, or form, due to my honed engineering discipline. I truly only see the real need for CC on the night venture with my wife to a restaurant and the eventual recovery of my parked car at night on some fairly quiet street, and the potential road rage that can occur almost anytime. As I mentioned, I have added the pit bull encounter as I walk my neighborhood as a new potential reason for CC. Outside of the pit bulll and my walk, the other potential reason has been eliminated due to the SC law, as it currently stands--unless I think a nice dinner at an IHOP is the ultimate in fine dining. This forum is just not filled with a huge number of "I just stopped a robbery or rape of someone else or myself because I had my CCW" threads.

don't screw with old guys!

hey,
    i'm from ct and thinking of moving to sc in the future. am 58 and have had a cc permit since i have been 21. tired of all the crap about what is legal and what is not. as i get older, though i am in good shape, i recognize that i am more vulnerable to the little shi*ts who would do me harm . i don't go where i am not wanted and i don't expose myself to risky situations but evildoers will seek out their prey. with that in mind and with obamacare willing to incarcerate me if i don't want health care, i would prefer not to be a prey animal and will implement own brand of health care insurance--via 1911.

Part of the responsibility of carrying a gun for personal protection is to think about and avoid situations where you might have to use it. To alter your habits and think before going into situation or places where you might be in danger. To be aware of things happening around you and to err on the side of caution of something doesn't feel right or something looks odd.

This makes you safer and closer to your goal of never having to take a life or pull your gun in self defense AND it makes you less likely to be a victim.

kelcarry: I think you should carry as you you are comfortable with as everyone should.

I, too live in a very quite neighbor hood (there are only three homes w/in sight distance of mine.) But in this a quite country area, I was shocked, no mortified, that just beyond this radius that there were three inconspicuous drug houses, one of which was frequented by by childhood neighbor and best friend all through school. (BTW, I built my home across the road from my parents.)

So I guess what I'm getting at is this, things aren't always the picture of peace and harmony that we think it is. While I'm no survivalist preparing for the end of days, I do try to protect me and my family. Cause there's no one else will. I carry everywhere I can and take it off and put into the glove box when I can't.

I do apologize if I sounded a little strong with my replies; that isn't my intent. Sometimes with writing, the emotion of the writer is not always interpreted by the reader.
    Grassroots SC, SC CWP, NH NR-PRL

Quote Originally Posted by Old Sometime View Post
    If you have a CWP in S.C. you DO NOT have to have the check done when you buy a pistol. Your permit is proof that it has been done and fingerprints on file. They will copy your permit and NOT charge you the 5.00 for the check.
    Yea thats how its done in NC too, and CCW holders can purchase as many guns as their money can allow, no limit.
    Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    If you are living your life worried about being a victim all the time and not enjoying life to the fullest, you are already a victim...
    -You don't know what you don't see-

1*

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by Old Sometime View Post
    Cool! That's the way it was when I lived in AZ, and GA.. I didn't think it was a federal thing, but had not bought a pistol since the CWP came in the mail. Georgia did the $5 thing for a while, but as I recall they stopped that.

Concealed means CONCEALED. If I do it properly, no one will ever know unless the mess hits the blades - then they'll be glad I have it.

While I will NEVER advocate anyone to break the law:

As more and more mess happens in more and more different places, I become less and less concerned with the pure legalities of CC.

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Hey Delucas: With all due respect to your post, and I understand and definitely respect your frustrations with society, but I do not know where all these rapes and robberies are occurring in all the locations that you mention ( you make it seem like it is on every street corner in every burb in the nation) but in 68 years it has never happened to my wife, my friends, my relatives or me. I can understand the "what ifs" in your blanket statements; I guess I live a very dull life and your examples are living somewhere next to hell. The interesting thing about this entire forum is the fact that I cannot remember the few times, if ever, that all of these robberies, rapes and mayhem actually occurred to anyone posting in these forums. I agree with you if you are really talking about the "what ifs"; this country is not Iraq and it is not in a state of anarchy and total meltdown as the perps run rampant over the citizenry. I am asleep by 11PM, I do not frequent ATMs, and most of my activities are during daylight hours among people, and I believe I have a heightened sense of my surroundings at all times so as not to be caught off guard in some way, shape, or form, due to my honed engineering discipline. I truly only see the real need for CC on the night venture with my wife to a restaurant and the eventual recovery of my parked car at night on some fairly quiet street, and the potential road rage that can occur almost anytime. As I mentioned, I have added the pit bull encounter as I walk my neighborhood as a new potential reason for CC. Outside of the pit bulll and my walk, the other potential reason has been eliminated due to the SC law, as it currently stands--unless I think a nice dinner at an IHOP is the ultimate in fine dining. This forum is just not filled with a huge number of "I just stopped a robbery or rape of someone else or myself because I had my CCW" threads.
    As others, I am not trying to be confrontational, but I have to wonder why you even worry about carrying a weapon. Obviously, since the bubble you live in is an "all protective" bubble, you really have no need! Do you carry Home Owner Insurance?..Why?...Do you carry Car Insurance? ...Why?...Do you carry Medical Insurance...Why?...Do you have Fire Extinguishers, Fire alarms in your home? ...Why...Do you carry AAA?...Why? Do you get preventative physicals, dental visits?...Why? Odds are you may never need any of these things according to your way of thinking.

Just for grins and giggles...why don't you peruse these tidbits of crime information concerning Charleston, SC ( I believe you said that's where you reside) and notice the comparison between Charleston and National stats... Charleston Crime Statistics and Crime Data (Charleston, SC)
    With the exception of burglaries, it appears that Charleston EXCEEDS the National Statistics in ALL violent crime...I would hope that would be reason enough for you to carry. Just because it's NEVER happened to you or yours, doesn't mean it can't. I believe the whole purpose of carrying a weapon is to BE PREPARED. The security of my loved ones is much more important to me, as I'm sure it is to you, than saying "the odds of something happening to me based on my surroundings, location, associates, etc is slim to none"... It's not just about being prepared to kill that dog that barks at you on your walk, or having your weapon while enjoying that glass of wine in your fine dining location. I strongly urge you to reconsider your mindset and situational awareness and say to yourself, "I will develop and remain in a condition yellow SA and will carry my weapon in all legal locations, just in the event the odds happen to be against me on a certain day". Prepare and train because YOUR reactions in a situation will default to your highest level of training and preparedness. I just don't want to see you and yours added to those statistics that exceed the national average. I truly do care!!!!
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    Good post First Sgt

Thank God I have never needed the seat belts in my car but I still wear them.
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links