Concensus of CC in SC

This is a discussion on Concensus of CC in SC within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey Y'all: Sorry if this is a repeat; I can recall many different threads and posts but my current what if thiinking is very frustrating. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Concensus of CC in SC

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar

Concensus of CC in SC

Hey Y'all: Sorry if this is a repeat; I can recall many different threads and posts but my current what if thiinking is very frustrating. If you leave out all the specific locations you cannot CC (ie federal buildings, schools, etc) specifically listed in the SC CC regs, and add to the list what appears to be a somewhat ambiguous "restaurant serving liquor" statute, what in the world is left other than going to WallyWorld and driving around in my car? If there was a real reason for me to CC it is at night, and late at night my only location would be a restaurant that serves liquor (not a bar, which is more of an obvious CC-related issue). There are many what ifs even during daylight at WallyWorld or a movie and I can see a shopping center parking lot possibility and road rage, but outside of those potentials I find my reasons for CC somewhat limited. I do not use ATMs, I am 68 and usually sleeping at midnight or earlier. Appreciate any enlightening reasons that extend my need for CC and any comments regarding the legalities surrounding restaurant (who serve liquor/wine w/meals) CC.

2. Remove Ads

Concealed means concealed.

Kelcarry,
    the laws penalize the law-abiding folks, and give criminals the advantage. We need to work to change these laws.
    Two places I am very glad to have my gun with me are the grocery store parking lot and the gas station. Since I lead a quiet life these are the spots I frequently find myself outside and vulnerable at night. Too many people and cars flow into these areas for a person to keep completely aware of all potential threats.
    If you are like most of us, you probably are in these zones a fair amount. Loading the car with bags of stuff or standing still, pumping gas - that's when the BG will approach you.
    CinSC

It's my understanding that the ambiguity of the law in regards to restaurants that serve alcohol is the interpretation of the attorney general...

GrassRoots GunRights South Carolina is working to get the law changed to allow CC into restaurants that serve alcohol.

Always carry, but don't break the law...never tell.

Stay armed...stay in yellow and always have a 'plan'...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Hey Y'all: Sorry if this is a repeat; I can recall many different threads and posts but my current what if thiinking is very frustrating. If you leave out all the specific locations you cannot CC (ie federal buildings, schools, etc) specifically listed in the SC CC regs, and add to the list what appears to be a somewhat ambiguous "restaurant serving liquor" statute, what in the world is left other than going to WallyWorld and driving around in my car? If there was a real reason for me to CC it is at night, and late at night my only location would be a restaurant that serves liquor (not a bar, which is more of an obvious CC-related issue). There are many what ifs even during daylight at WallyWorld or a movie and I can see a shopping center parking lot possibility and road rage, but outside of those potentials I find my reasons for CC somewhat limited. I do not use ATMs, I am 68 and usually sleeping at midnight or earlier. Appreciate any enlightening reasons that extend my need for CC and any comments regarding the legalities surrounding restaurant (who serve liquor/wine w/meals) CC.
    Same for NC, reason why i dont carry everyday. I keep one at home and one in my car and once in awhile i carry depending on where im going. I plead the 5th about the resturants because i got a warning for that yesterday.
    Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    If you are living your life worried about being a victim all the time and not enjoying life to the fullest, you are already a victim...
    -You don't know what you don't see-

1*

NRA Member

Hey cinsc: Appreciate your what ifs. I consider myself, after having been an engineer for over 35 years, as a common sense, always thinking ahead kind of person. I am always aware of my surroundings as I go about my business be it in shopping centers, parking, in my car etc--almost exclusively in the daytime. I truly find it difficult to believe that someone, who could sneak up on me causing me to give um my money when I am not CC could not do the same when I am CC--only now I lose my firearm. Just seems to me that it is at night, when I go to a restaurant, that I would have the least control over my surroundings and right now it does not seem to be a place that I can CC.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Can't help you with the SC law on places that serve alcohol. The 50% or more income based on alcohol is rediculous.
    It's simplier in Fl. If it's a restuarant that serves alcohol, you can't sit at the bar. Easy as that. Bars and taverns are no-no to CC as they exist mainly for alcohol consumption, not food.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

That's how i wish it was here in NC, as long as you're not sitting at the bar or even in the lounge area then it should be fine. Maybe one day they will change it.
    Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    If you are living your life worried about being a victim all the time and not enjoying life to the fullest, you are already a victim...
    -You don't know what you don't see-

1*

NRA Member

federal is federal i dont think much will ever be done about that. court rooms,.... well sometimes emotions will turn a good person wrong. the restaraunt thing needs to be changed. schools met us kind of half-way. everything else is posted or not posted. now dont get me wrong i think we should be able to carry everywhere, but just as we want to have our right to carry, independents that do not feel the same have the right to say no we dont want you to carry on our property. i just try to avoid those places. all in all sc could be better but there are a lot worse states.

Not to hijack the thread, but since a couple of you are from SC, I have a question.

In SC, do you still have to go through a backgroung check to buy a pistol,,, if you have a cwp? I have not bought a gun since receiving my permit, but will be soon. Just wondering what to expect.

Thanks.

Permit...what kind of permit? CWP? Yes, a background check is mandated: permit or not!
    Kimber UC II
    SA XD-45 SC
    1948 16g Remington Model 24
    Mossberg .410g shottie

VIP Member
    4. A tavern where the primary source of income is the sale of alcoholic liquor by the glass consumed on the
    premises

this is the definition of Mi. bar/tavern/restaurants serving alcohol.
    Somewhat better than S C, but not by much.
    You are ok to go into a TGIF, or a chilis/red lobster, etc,, because they do not derive 51 o/o or more of their income from the said sale of liqour.
    SC sure does have a big gaping hole in it seems to me. Hope they change the wording for the better.
    It all depends on your State Attorney General.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by GA1dad View Post
    Not to hijack the thread, but since a couple of you are from SC, I have a question.

In SC, do you still have to go through a backgroung check to buy a pistol,,, if you have a cwp? I have not bought a gun since receiving my permit, but will be soon. Just wondering what to expect.

Thanks.
    To the best of my knowledge the background check is a federal requirement, not a state rule, and must still be conducted. That said, we're talking 15 minutes tops at my local shop.
    The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights Reserved

Hey Y'all: Well I found another reason for my CCWP. Walking this morning with a friend in our community and met up with 2 dogs (one a pit bull) "prancing and barking" on a front lawn and in the street. As we approached the dogs placed their attention on the two of us and circled us with the same prancing and barking manner (no real growling). Certainly had me concerned knowing that my wife walks a similar path and there are children in the area. The increased barking alerted the new renter in the house who opened the door and shooed the dogs inside. My friend told the gentleman that there are stringent leash laws in our community and I told him that this was not acceptable, I have a CCWP, and will shoot the dogs if they threaten me physically in the future. He closed the door without saying anything. I followed up with a call to police who were going to visit him and inform him again about our leash laws. I will now walk with my CCW, having found an immediate reason for doing so.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links