ITT Tech is crazy. The doors in our new building dont lock from the inside!

This is a discussion on ITT Tech is crazy. The doors in our new building dont lock from the inside! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just realized that the doors in the new wing of the building do NOT lock from the inside. Since I cannot carry at school ...

Thread: ITT Tech is crazy. The doors in our new building dont lock from the inside!

ITT Tech is crazy. The doors in our new building dont lock from the inside!

I just realized that the doors in the new wing of the building do NOT lock from the inside. Since I cannot carry at school without the risk of being expelled i would at least hope i could put something between me and an active shooter. I mean a locked door isn't much but it would be better than nothing. I mean even if it wasn't an active shooter and just a crazy guy tryin to get to someone a locking door could prevent a situation from getting worse. Granted the doors in the old building lock but there are about 10 or so rooms over there that dont lock from the inside. I asked the director about this situation and he said it was so no one could lock themselves inside. I asked him "Isn't that a bit of a catch 22?" He said it was. I'm really debating on buying a small cz 9mm and carrying that while at school.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Do they lock from the outside? They may be egress doors, required by current building codes, which means the door must be able open from the inside at all times.

Just be careful if you decide to carry. Is illegal to carry on your campus due to state or local laws? Or is it something the school itself put out? Also remember concealed is concealed and no one should be the wiser.

While it may be legal in Alabama, you might need to check with the local sherrif and see if he has any rules governing this. I think Alabama allows the sherrif to impose additional restrictions.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Not to slam your choice of education, but a lot of ITT's aren't accredited so I wonder if that's a loophole in campus carry. Without accreditation, isn't it just technically another private business?
    Glock 22 (G2) & 27 (G3)
    S&W 686 .357 4" Stainless Pre-lock
    Ruger 10/22
    Marlin Model 65 .22LR - 1968
    Remington Model 31 16ga - 1932
    Remington 1900 12ga - 1904

VIP Member
    IMPROVISE!

I used to use a screwdriver from my tool bag to use as a wedge to either keep a door open or closed.

Some of the stuff I work on is located near doors & I have been hit by the doors when people open them.

Since I ended up needing the screw driver, I ended up getting two regular door stops from Wally World. Problem solved.

There is bound to be something you can use to improvise one.....
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Biomortis View Post
    Not to slam your choice of education, but a lot of ITT's aren't accredited so I wonder if that's a loophole in campus carry. Without accreditation, isn't it just technically another private business?
    Being a 'public school' doesn't necessarily mean that it is accredited.

Also, most commercial buildings will not lock from the inside...in the sense that you're thinking. If they did, any 'Joe Smuckatella' could lock the door at his/her pleasure...not good. Most doors have locking bars that require special key to lock, thus preventing unwanted locking from the inside...I'm just sayin'...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    IMPROVISE!

I used to use a screwdriver from my tool bag to use as a wedge to either keep a door open or closed.

Some of the stuff I work on is located near doors & I have been hit by the doors when people open them.

Since I ended up needing the screw driver, I ended up getting two regular door stops from Wally World. Problem solved.

There is bound to be something you can use to improvise one.....

If the doors open into the hallway a wedge would not help.

I carried for two years at Everest college. No one was the wiser you simply do not ever tell anyone that you are doing so

college carry map\/ college carry is gtg in alabama... in fact you could actually be 18 and carry to class your senior year of HS if you got an unrestricted permit

S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Quote Originally Posted by rmodel65 View Post
    college carry map\/ college carry is gtg in alabama... in fact you could actually be 18 and carry to class your senior year of HS if you got an unrestricted permit

HS? Not so much. Alabama restricts K-12. Besides I grew up in Alabama. When I went to school there, many decades ago, 18 years of age was more representive of 7th grade. We got out of school 1/2 days on election day to vote in the 7th grade.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by fox2102 View Post
    I just realized that the doors in the new wing of the building do NOT lock from the inside. Since I cannot carry at school without the risk of being expelled i would at least hope i could put something between me and an active shooter. I mean a locked door isn't much but it would be better than nothing. I mean even if it wasn't an active shooter and just a crazy guy tryin to get to someone a locking door could prevent a situation from getting worse. Granted the doors in the old building lock but there are about 10 or so rooms over there that dont lock from the inside. I asked the director about this situation and he said it was so no one could lock themselves inside. I asked him "Isn't that a bit of a catch 22?" He said it was. I'm really debating on buying a small cz 9mm and carrying that while at school.
    Tell him that unless the doors become lockable from the inside that the school can't go into 'emergency lock-down' mode. Also point out that the school would be liable in that scenario.
    Walther P99 AS full size 9mm
    Kahr P9 compact 9mm

NRA
    Michigan Sheriff's Association
    “The key is to hit them hard, hit them fast, and hit them repeatedly. The one shot stop is a unit of measurement not a tactical philosophy.” Evan Marshall

Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    HS? Not so much. Alabama restricts K-12. Besides I grew up in Alabama. When I went to school there, many decades ago, 18 years of age was more representive of 7th grade. We got out of school 1/2 days on election day to vote in the 7th grade.

sorry you're wrong.....

Places Off-Limits Even With A Permit/License
    Section 13A-11-72
    Premises of a public school. The term "public school" as used in this section applies only to a school
    composed of grades K-12 and shall include a school bus used for grades K-12
    (c) Subject to the exceptions provided by Section 13A-11-74, no person shall knowingly with intent to do
    bodily harm carry or possess a deadly weapon on the premises of a public school.
    (d) Possession of a deadly weapon with the intent to do bodily harm on the premises of a public school in
    violation of subsection (c) of this section is a Class C felony.
    (e) Law enforcement officers are exempt from this section, and persons with pistol permits issued pursuant to
    Section 13A-11-75, are exempt from the provisions of subsection
    (c) of this section.
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Quote Originally Posted by Biomortis View Post
    ITT is nationally accredited but it is a horrible school. So much dirt running through here. I'm trying to get out but since i also work there i cant leave until i find another job. Not finding much though. I wouldn't recommend ITT to anyone. There are better schools cheaper

Quote Originally Posted by fox2102 View Post
    ITT is nationally accredited but it is a horrible school. So much dirt running through here. I'm trying to get out but since i also work there i cant leave until i find another job. Not finding much though. I wouldn't recommend ITT to anyone. There are better schools cheaper
    I think it depends on your major and where your school is...... I graduated in ITCNS from the Syracuse campus and I thought the school itself was pretty decent. But I've heard bad things about other campuses around the country....

It seems the electrical and computer schools are good but the programming guys were not real happy. I think the schools lost a lot when they started doing what the local businesses told them to do in order to prepare graduates for work. They started concentrating too much on the corporate side of things and left out a lot of technical, especially in the CNS curriculum.

Really the best thing about them is the flexible schedules. Its not easy for full time workers to get a degree in two years but ITT does make it possible......

FWIW the doors at my campus were always locked/unlocked from the inside. And usually they were locked all day except the main entrance.
    Last edited by fatcat; December 21st, 2009 at 10:41 AM. Reason: add more thoughts

Links