Best and worst of state laws - Page 4

Best and worst of state laws

This is a discussion on Best and worst of state laws within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by rhinokrk If someone in TX is stealing your truck, one could shoot the thief if he felt so inclined. I'm quite sure ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Best and worst of state laws

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rhinokrk View Post
    If someone in TX is stealing your truck, one could shoot the thief if he felt so inclined. I'm quite sure that in UT, you don't have to avoid a threat in your home but you cannot defend property.
    Unless that property is occupied, or to stop a forcible felony.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    Unless that property is occupied, or to stop a forcible felony.
    Correct, as I understand the law.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

I'm stuck in WISCONSIN

I would just like to be able to CCW, however until our Crook of a Governor leaves office and we elect a Governor who is more for the people instead of his pocket we shall see what comes about.

We finally might have a chance.
    Dave
    I carry a gun cause a cop is too heavy.

Sounds like we need to adopt Utah's gun laws and add the TX protect property statute and I would be a happy camper.

In OK, you can't carry in a bar, professional sporting event, school, any govt. property except for parks and fairgrounds, and it is kinda gray on the gun buster stickers on private property.
    The Second Amendment ...... Because crime SHOULD be a hazardous occupation.

If you want to piss off a conservative, lie to him.
    If you want to piss off a liberal, tell him the truth.

In a way I don't want a national permit BUT I'd be thrilled if we could get a federal law allowing us to keep arm on any interstate or US highway in the country from CA to NY.

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    I have no idea where you heard this, but.....you're wrong. Utah has Castle Doctrine. No duty to retreat.

To the OP:

I am happy with Utah's gun laws for the most part, we have:

-OC without a permit....empty chamber
    -CC is shall issue
    -CC includes ALL weapons, and ANY firearm you can legally posses
    -Castle Doctrine
    -OC/CC in State buildings, City buildings, Police stations
    -OC/CC in schools
    -OC/CC in bars, restaurants that serve alcohol
    -No gun signs don't matter
    -State preemption
    -No waiting period for purchase
    -No purchase permit
    -No limit on purchases
    -No capacity limitations

I don't like that Churches can register with the state to be "no-weapons areas". Only the Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latter Day Saints (Mormons) has registered, but any can.

I don't like that employers aren't forced to let employees CC. But at least they are forced to let them have it in their vehicle in the parking lot.

That's all I can think of now, I'll probably edit later
    UT needs a training session to get a permit, this could make or break a deal with any of the numerous states that honor UT's permit. NV dumped UT this year because of this non-existent requirement and I worry more states will do the same making it less attractive to have a UT permit.

If someone in TX is stealing your truck, one could shoot the thief if he felt so inclined. I'm quite sure that in UT, you don't have to avoid a threat in your home but you cannot defend property.
    From my understanding in TX, if you wake up in the middle of the night and see someone running off your property with your 12 pack of beer you can shoot them in the back to retrieve your beer.

Quote Originally Posted by dlclarkii View Post
    From my understanding in TX, if you wake up in the middle of the night and see someone running off your property with your 12 pack of beer you can shoot them in the back to retrieve your beer.
    That's how I understand it. If one is so inclined, I don't know if I'd do it for a twelve pack, but a thief is a thief.

In a way I don't want a national permit BUT I'd be thrilled if we could get a federal law allowing us to keep arm on any interstate or US highway in the country from CA to NY.

UT needs a training session to get a permit, this could make or break a deal with any of the numerous states that honor UT's permit. NV dumped UT this year because of this non-existent requirement and I worry more states will do the same making it less attractive to have a UT permit.
    NV requires a class as does UT... Not sure what point you're trying to make.

VIP Member
    NV's class is MUCH more in depth than UT's. IMO, Utah's class is a joke.
    Some instructors are better than others. The inst. who taught my class did the bare minimum, not even shooting.

Some instructors are great and personally require much more than the State. I'd advise anyone interested in a Ut permit to find an inst. who actually requires more, including shooting.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

I don't think it's the states place to see people are trained. It's peoples place to seek training.

I don't think permits should be required either, but that's another thread.

What I meant to say is UT doesn't require live fire training. I had a good instructor for my UT training and I did learn a few things, it was a long day, 8 hours of lecture.

Surprised I haven't seen this one yet

On another post here someone mentioned that in their state they are required to inform a homeowner before entering the house.
    I'm not sure what state this is, but it seems like it makes it difficult to stay concealed.

I do admit when I started carrying I wondered if I should inform friends when I visited, but since it's not required here I just keep it concealed and secret.

Quote Originally Posted by lee n. field View Post
    Illinois. No CCW. No preemption, so Chicagoland gets to to whatever the heck it feels like. Hopefully the Chicago gun case will steamroll that situation into oblivion.

No approved gun list. No magazine size limitation.
    I think we're all pulling for you that the current case opens things up for you. At least I am.

Hmm. My brother-in-law is a truck driver and he carries a gun in his cab on all interstates across America - although I think he says he refuses to go to NY because of their anti-gun laws. . It seemed a no-brainer since he has 10's of thousands of dollars of merchandise (or more) to protect - besides himself - and it would be stupid to do his job without protection.

He does not have any license or permit, he always tells the officers that he has it and where it is. He says they'll find it anyway if you don't tell them. From his stories I took it that interstate travel allowed you to defend yourself but maybe he can't go to any states with laws like NY's.

I don't think it's the states place to see people are trained. It's peoples place to seek training.
    This is technically correct I think. CCW means nothing besides permission to carry a weapon that otherwise would be illegal. So, requirements are limited to what safety is needed to prevent accidents in carrying or operation, one of which is of course how to aim the gun - and then the rest, loading safely, unloading, etc.

Shooting anyone is covered by a whole other library of law: Self-Defense Law which does not concern the means of self-defense: gun, knife, body, a handy tree branch etc. but the conditions under which it is legal to use Self-Defense. CCW does not give you any additional Self-Defense rights than not having a CCW.

In other words, shooting beyond safety concerns, is your business, not the states. Sounds practically kind of weird, but I guess that's the technical reason extensive training - or even moderate training - in the field and testing for that is not a part of most states CCW requirements.

By the way, I'm not stating that this is good or bad, just the reason that it might be this way (minimal testing).

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links