Best and worst of state laws - Page 5

Best and worst of state laws

This is a discussion on Best and worst of state laws within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by CommonMan101 Hmm. My brother-in-law is a truck driver and he carries a gun in his cab on all interstates across America - ...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Best and worst of state laws

Quote Originally Posted by CommonMan101 View Post
    Hmm. My brother-in-law is a truck driver and he carries a gun in his cab on all interstates across America - although I think he says he refuses to go to NY because of their anti-gun laws. . It seemed a no-brainer since he has 10's of thousands of dollars of merchandise (or more) to protect - besides himself - and it would be stupid to do his job without protection.

He does not have any license or permit, he always tells the officers that he has it and where it is. He says they'll find it anyway if you don't tell them. From his stories I took it that interstate travel allowed you to defend yourself but maybe he can't go to any states with laws like NY's.
    I find that very hard to believe, is he carrying a handgun or a shotgun? He's carrying a concealed illegal firearm from state to state? I'm not saying your a liar but maybe he's pulling your leg?
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    In Colorado I love the fact that you can carry a handgun in your vehicle loaded w/ out a permit.

I would change the post office law and also go with the Texans on protecting property if I could.

I would really love for every state to just be like Vermont.

Quote Originally Posted by Adkjoe View Post
    I find that very hard to believe, is he carrying a handgun or a shotgun? He's carrying a concealed illegal firearm from state to state? I'm not saying your a liar but maybe he's pulling your leg?
    You're right, it is hard to believe because it's not accurate. There is nothing in any law that grants carrying on an interstate nationwide. There's no federal law prohibiting a truck driver from carrying a firearm in the cab of his truck but he has to comply with the laws in the state in which he is traveling. No interstate highway exemption tho.
    183 FBINA

Quote Originally Posted by Adkjoe View Post
    I can ask him any specific question you may have about it. He is not pulling my leg. My guess is that it depends on the state. His life and property are under constant threat - as any truck carrying goods are. According to him you may be shot by the average truck driver if you try to steal his load/truck. How helpless should they be when they have their life and livelihood on the line every day?

I find it both amusing and confounding that "illegal firearm" is used by someone here. That's a Bloomberg tactic to sway opinion. There is nothing illegal about the firearm itself.

In Texas any driver coming through the state has more ability to carry a pistol in the glove box than the average resident. Strange but true that a traveller from another state with a pistol on or near him is more good to go than joe-shmo getting some diapers at 3am and having one in his pocket.

So they can cruise my neighborhood armed and unlicensed when they are from somewhere else but if you live here you better have a permit.

Quote Originally Posted by ispcapt View Post
    You're right, it is hard to believe because it's not accurate. There is nothing in any law that grants carrying on an interstate nationwide. There's no federal law prohibiting a truck driver from carrying a firearm in the cab of his truck but he has to comply with the laws in the state in which he is traveling. No interstate highway exemption tho.
    Strange. You first deny then affirm what I wrote. Never said there was a law granting anyone anything. Never said there was an interstate highway exemption but being a traveller is defined... how? (serious question still asked of courts here in TX) Basically you re-wrote what I wrote and added to it. More confirming of what I wrote than denouncing.

Truth is - he defends himself and the officers that stop him don't take away the gun he tells them he has. Wherever that fits in all the laws that apply - there it is.

Maybe because it's a mouse gun they have to let him go before they bust out laughing?

The only problems I have with the laws are more about Clark county(Vegas) laws.
    Can't open carry in parks.
    Blue cards:Gun registration in the county.
    And having to qualify each make/model and caliber of handgun on the CCW. This requires going to the range and paying an licensed instructor for each gun. Then $25 to update your card, paid to LVMPD. No limit on the amount of guns when updating.
    Because of that, unless you already have it on your card you can't buy a gun on start CC once you leave the store. But you can OC, which I've been doing for over a month now. And once I do get my new card, about a week away in the mail. I will probably OC my XDm 40 more than CC anyways.

Then there's Utah
    Requirements:has not been convicted of any offense involving the use of alcohol.
    I have been sober for over 8 years now and because I got in some trouble out at the lake 12 or 13 years ago, I can't hold a Utah CCW. Oh well, screw them. I'm just glad I found out before I gave them my money. My NV CCW is still good there.
    If I ever need one for a state that doesn't honor my NV CCW. I'll just get one from Florida.

I want the Texas CHL to become a true CCW license and include knives. If you are licensed to carry a gun then what difference should it make if you have a 6 inch Bowie or a katana? I also think it is time for open carry in Texas. There is 0 reason we shouldnt be able to do that here
    "How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." -Suzanna Gratia Hupp

In MA I hate the fact if you accidently show your firearm (wind for example) you can be deemed "unsuitable" to carry and have your license taken away.

there is no law stating the OC is illegal, but again, you will most likely be deemed "unsuitable"

on yeah, forgot about pre ban magazines...if you are to own a high capacity magazine, it must be pre-ban...made before september something or other of 1994...

NC

Pro's- Unlimited gun purchases with no NICS check at time of sale. Also, we dont need to qualify with a gun to carry it, our permit allows all handguns with no limit as to how many you can carry.
    Con's- No carry in Bars, Taverns, Pubs, or Resturants that serve and consume alcohol. (I agree with previous posters that it should just be no carrying while consuming alcohol) Also, we cannot carry inside of public malls which is an area i think would be high priority for this. NC CCW should be lifetime instead of 5 years. Keep it going until a criminal conviction revokes it from me. There are several others but these are the main ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    If you are living your life worried about being a victim all the time and not enjoying life to the fullest, you are already a victim...
    -You don't know what you don't see-

1*

NRA Member

VIP Member

No Way!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnyjeep View Post
    The main thing I hate is not having a national license - would save a lot of hassle when traveling.

For my state of West Virginia I hated that I had to go through a $75.00 handgun course, I qualified with pistols in the Marine Corps and with the Department of State (who I currently work for in Iraq) have gone through Blackwater's (now known as Xe - yes them) High Threat Protection course and Combat Handgun Course but WV does not feel that those courses make me qualified to carry - go figure

Why Do you guys so desperately WANT a national reciprocity license???
    I have a Michigan Drivers license, and it allows me to drive in ALL 50 states if I choose to.
    Even Canada, home of the sheeple lets me drive there with my Mi. license when I go there for work.

Why would I want the feds having ANYTHING to do with this is beyond me!!, I'm just sayin

"An Englishman is a person who does things because they have been done before. An American is a person who does things because they haven't been done before." - Mark Twain
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Quote Originally Posted by sixsccw View Post
    What do you dislike the most about your own state's handgun legislation, and how you would change it, and;

What do you think your state does right on that same topic?
    Absent any posts from AZ, I'll add one.

I most dislike that bars and restaurants can post against carrying weapons. Although the law was got better recently, it still has room for improvement. My home state of CT simply has one set of rules for (concealed) carry, and I would apply that here.

What I like best is that 18 year olds can own handguns and carry them openly (21 is the min age for a CCW), and that with the possible exception of Tuscon, open carry is neither prohibited nor seen as a really big deal.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

I live in Texas, for the most part I like the laws. There are a few things that I would like to see.

Carry in bars when not consuming adult beverages.
    Be able to carry anywhere, removing State Buildings, Amusement Parks and if you must disarm allow lock boxes.

Colorado:
    Pro: Carry in bars, Universities (school policy may prevent)
    Signs have no weight of law
    Car carry without permit
    No requirement to retreat
    No ammo, mag restrictions
    Very few places off limits by law
    Shall issue
    Denver must respect CCW

Cons:
    Need a permit at all (VT style is best)
    Background checks for firearm purchase
    No post office carry
    Need to make employers respect firearms in vehicles
    Need to make employers respect CCW (2nd Amed is a "special right that can not be infringed")
    Force Co Sheriff to allow NFAs
    Cover knives, other weapons

In Missouri:

No license required for car carry.
    No penalties for carrying into a state restricted zone (notice I said STATE)
    Good in 30-odd other states.
    Any states permit is good in Missouri

What I would like to see changed:
    Castle Doctrine changed to wherever you have a legal right to be.
    Issue non-resident permits.
    Parking lot laws changed. If I can describe this correctly, right now I can not carry at work, AND cannot leave it in the car while I am there if the company says no.
    Cape Locum Et Fac Vestigium

Quote Originally Posted by CommonMan101 View Post
    Strange. You first deny then affirm what I wrote. Never said there was a law granting anyone anything. Never said there was an interstate highway exemption but being a traveller is defined... how? (serious question still asked of courts here in TX) Basically you re-wrote what I wrote and added to it. More confirming of what I wrote than denouncing.

Truth is - he defends himself and the officers that stop him don't take away the gun he tells them he has. Wherever that fits in all the laws that apply - there it is.

Maybe because it's a mouse gun they have to let him go before they bust out laughing?
    He can carry a firearm in his truck if he complies with FOPA or the state laws in the states inwhich he is traveling. For FOPA that means he has to be in legal possession from his starting point and in legal possession at his ending point and the firearm has to be unloaded, in a case, and inaccessible as possible to the occupants of the vehicle. State laws vary.
    There is nothing in the motor carrier safety regs which address an OTR driver concerning firearms.
    There is no federal law granting interstate concealed carry for OTR drivers. I've heard drivers claim such.
    183 FBINA

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Sponsored Links