Forgot something important (LEO encounter)

This is a discussion on Forgot something important (LEO encounter) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I own a 2003 Suzuki Aerio, but for the last year I have been driving my 2000 Crown Vic. The Ford has automatic headlights, and ...

Thread: Forgot something important (LEO encounter)

Forgot something important (LEO encounter)

I own a 2003 Suzuki Aerio, but for the last year I have been driving my 2000 Crown Vic. The Ford has automatic headlights, and as such, I was not in the habit of turning them on. Two nights ago, I hopped into the Suzuki for a run into town.

The Suzuki has a digital speedometer, so the instrument cluster lights up when the car is started. It also has daytime running lamps, which are as bright as the low-beam headlights. So I didn't think a thing about turning on my lights, and was oblivious to the fact that I had no taillights. The local police officer was not, however, oblivious, as indicated by the bright flashing lights that came on as soon as I passed him.

I'm pretty picky about obedience to traffic laws, speed limits, and such, so I was wondering what the problem could be as I pulled over, retrieved my DL, CWL, and insurance card from the pocket in my wallet where they all reside. It wasn't until I had turned on the dome light, lowered the window, and turned off the engine that I realized what I had done, as the daytime running lamps shut off in concert with my application of the handbrake.

The officer was quite professional. I immediately informed him that I had a concealed weapon license and that I was armed (In Oklahoma, it's not just a good idea). He asked where my weapon was (right hip, where it should be), and then we laughed together at my stupidity for not turning on my headlights. He wrote me a warning and bid me a good evening.

A good experience with a very courteous and professional local police officer, in spite of my own dumbness.
    He said to them, "But now let the one who has a moneybag take it, and likewise a knapsack. And let the one who has no sword sell his cloak and buy one."

- Luke 22:36 (ESV)

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Don't ya just hate it when that happens? BTW: Welcome to the forum.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Been there, done that. Welcome neighbor, from deep in the Ozarks, to your East.

Another example of a LEO with common sense and a sense of humor.
    Glad you didn't get a ticket.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Solution:

Leave the headlights to the ON position as in your Suzuki at all times.
    I have been doing this in every car I've ever owned since long before DRL was even a national discussion point and prior to mfr. rollout of the feature.

During the day normal beam (not-high beam) washes out in a persons vision enough so as to not blind anyone but the most absolutely sensitive, who are persons that would wear sunglasses/shades or have tinted glass anyway.

My '93 is set this way (pre-DRL) while my wifes '04 truck is set same even as it does have a DRL feature.
    No forgetting and no which car am I in uh oh there go the po-po problems.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Solution:

Leave the headlights to the ON position as in your Suzuki at all times.
    Might or might not work: In my car, leaving the headlights on will result in them turning themselves off about 30sec after you leave. Doing so on my wife's car results in a dead battery.

A dead battery would be the result in my car as well.
    He said to them, "But now let the one who has a moneybag take it, and likewise a knapsack. And let the one who has no sword sell his cloak and buy one."

- Luke 22:36 (ESV)

This was well handled by the LEO. I wish more LEOs would take note that people responsible enough to inform when they should are no threat and should not be treated like common criminals.

I also applaud the LEO for recognizing your traffic situation for what it was: an honest mistake. It is my experience that in my County an idiot Deputy would have written a sizable ticket for something so innocent.
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

sounds like an all together good exp. with the LEO, im sure that you will remember from now on. LOL

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    I really wonder sometimes what kind of interraction some of our posters have had with LEOs and where these LEOs are located. Maybe because I live in a nice area, the LEOs that are hired must meet very strict standards including college degrees and to a man are very courteous and friendly--we even have a citizens' academy where you meet with all departments, learn all about the business of police and can, at any time, request drivealongs with patrol officers. To somehow pony up what I perceive as an aggressive, almost belligerent attitude is, by common sense, going to be met the same way by an LEO. Rights and the constitution etc etc are important and I fully understand that some people are very concerned about this when dealing with an LEO---I guess I feel that some accomodation for where the LEO is coming from is important. Then again, I do not know where some of these posters live and what kind of LEOs they have encountered. Maybe I am just lucky, but I truly believe I have a responsibility to the LEO as well, who does not know who I am or what I am up to or whether he will go home tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Cycler View Post
    Might or might not work: In my car, leaving the headlights on will result in them turning themselves off about 30sec after you leave. Doing so on my wife's car results in a dead battery.
    Right, and then they turn back on next time you get back in the car and start it.
    As to very much older ge/tech cars that do not have auto off lights (my car is a '93 and this then was a normal feature) then well it goes without saying that the fix is either reprogramming of ones brain or a sticky note reminder as applied to ones windshield stating "LIGHTS ON!".

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Links