Defensive Carry banner

Florida CCW-6 months and my reflections...

3K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  Phantoms 
#1 ·
On Saturday, December 18th my CCW finally showed up in the mail.

My 90 days was up on Oct 2...and I started calling once every week to two weeks to find out the status.

Finally I talked with on of the supervisors and was told that my application was under review. It seems that the FBI check came up with a case where they couldn't determine the outcome.

On Friday the 12th I finally got a letter in the mail that stated that I had a court case in Kansas that I needed to send information on. So, I got on line and checked with the County Courthouse and found the court case that had been holding up my CCW. It had been dismissed 13 years ago and the file had been destroyed by the courthouse.

On Monday I called the review office and spoke with a Mrs. Johnson and asked them if they wanted a certified copy of this case or could/would they take the information from the internet I had printed off. The lady was amazed that I could access my court case and asked me how I was able to do that...I told her I simply got on the court website and did a records search. She asked me for the website address and I gave it to her...walked her thru the process and she said that was what she needed.

My liscense was processed on Tuesday and sent out on Tuesday, and as I was pulling out of my driveway to come down to Georgia my mail lady came and gave me my liscense.

My reflection is this: If you have ever been to court for anything other than a speeding ticket then either print off the information (if your courthouse cases can be accessed by a record check) or if you have the disposition of the case already then make a copy of it and send it in along with the application. I waited twice as long as most others, but now I have what I wanted.

Hope this helps anyone who does this in the future.

See less See more
#2 ·
My reflection is this: If you have ever been to court for anything other than a speeding ticket then either print off the information (if your courthouse cases can be accessed by a record check) or if you have the disposition of the case already then make a copy of it and send it in along with the application. I waited twice as long as most others, but now I have what I wanted.
Newhunter1

Congratulations,
Sounds like good advice or at the very least, maybe make copies of the incident(s), and have them so you could take them down tho the courthouse if need be .

I noticed you live in Illinois, the FLA. permit is not valid there, and I do not know how many states recognize a Fla. permit from someone who does not reside IN Fla.
I know Mi. used to recognize all Fla. permits, but now only does so if you are a Fla. resident.

Please be careful and know the laws for the specific States
Here are a couple of reference sites, if you are not already aware of them,
Handgunlaw.us

Carry Concealed

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

#3 ·
Newhunter1

Congratulations,
Sounds like good advice or at the very least, maybe make copies of the incident(s), and have them so you could take them down tho the courthouse if need be .

I noticed you live in Illinois, the FLA. permit is not valid there, and I do not know how many states recognize a Fla. permit from someone who does not reside IN Fla.
I know Mi. used to recognize all Fla. permits, but now only does so if you are a Fla. resident.

Handgunlaw.us

Carry Concealed

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent
Look here...
Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps

Simply tap FL and then check 'non-resident'...:yup:

#4 ·
The EXACT same thing has happened to me. FL sent me a letter stating they needed a certified copy of the disposition from the court in DC. My case is over 19 years old and when i contacted the court, they said it happened so long ago that they have to go pull the written case file and then will send me a certified copy so I can send it to FL. It's too old to be in their system apparently and old records are not put in elctronically. The stupid part is that VA, NV and UT have issued me CCW permits that I applied for after FL. The charge is an obvious misdemeanor that does not disqualify me for a permit under FL law. But FL asks for a certified copy of the disposition so they can process my application. FL cashed my check last July 1 and I am still dealing with this.

I think they're being obtuse but that's only my humble opinion. What do VA, UT and NV know that FL can't figure out?

Sheesh.

#5 ·
Congratulations,

Handgunlaw.us

Carry Concealed
Carry Concealed web site info is considerably out of date and repeated requests to the site admins to update the info have been ignored.

Click on the Nevada link and it stll shows that NV honors UT and FL. NV stopped honoring FL and UT permits last July.

Another better and up to date site is:

USA Carry

Using the old info on the Carryconceled.net web site could cause you to be arrested.

#6 ·
Yea, I'm aware of states that do not honor the Fla permit. A while back I checked Tennessee and it stated that Tenn did not honor Fla non-resident permits. However checking last night the law states that it does? Anyone know if this is the case. I live in Illinois but work in MO and mainly hang out in MO...so this the reason I got the Fla...since MO does not give non-residents out. The USA website states that all the states I travel in will accept my permit...

#15 ·
Pa. will issue you a permit, if you live in a state that has permits, then you have to send a copy of your permit with app. since (Illinois) does not issue a permit, Pa. will still issue one to those people that live in states like Ill.

#18 ·
The final word on reciprocity for any state should come fro the state in question's AG or state police site.While NRA. USACarry and Handgun Law are all excellent references, using them to defend yourself in court if they are wrong will not be a good defense. When I travel I carry a few documents with me:

TSA handgun air travel guidelines
Specific airline policy on handgun travel
State of travel destination AG document or State Police document with state reciprocity listed.
Handgun Law or USA carry or NRA list of reciprocity as a backup.

Many official people you encounter including some LEO's are woefully deficient on handgun law and reciprocity. it's up to you to be able to prove you're legal. I carry all these papers in my Gunvault Micro travel safe along with my pistolas.

:santaclaus:

#19 ·
I hate that SC does not recognize GA and I live right next door:mad:. And since they only recognize permits for residents of their issuing state, that prevents me from obtaining non-resident permit of another state to be recognized in SC that way. The only option I would have would be to buy real property in SC and pay taxes on it to get a non-resident permit (the only way they'll issue a non-resident:confused:).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.