I hate working in the 'hood... - Page 2

I hate working in the 'hood...

This is a discussion on I hate working in the 'hood... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If I were in your situation my stance would be: I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6....

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: I hate working in the 'hood...

If I were in your situation my stance would be:

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Knowing that you will probably lose your job if forced to defend yourself, I would still carry (because it is not illegal to do so).
    It's hard to pay the bills without a job, but far more difficult to do so if you're dead.
    OMO, but you have to make the call!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by gdm320 View Post
    I agree with this assessment completely. I've actually argued this point against management trying to tell me I'm safe because I've been so active with martial arts. True martial arts... sure. But then again I've never had a shank pulled on me when I've been sparring in the gym.

1. I had been looking for a new job up until the holidays when we went to six day work weeks and I literally did not have the free time to go out for interviews. I will absolutely be going back out on the hunt when my schedule gets back to normal.

2. On the face of it, this is the best option. My original store (Coral Springs) is now an hour drive from my home. My fiancee took my open position in Delray Beach, and we cannot work together. The only other store in my area that does S&R work is about 45 minutes from me, and their performance is so poor there are serious rumors their S&R department will be shut down... which would leave me without a job.

3. I inquired about pepper spray or chemical mace and was told I was not allowed to carry it. Another co-worker who works in a corporate office in the area was also refused when he requested the same.
    Actually Pepper Spray and Taser are legal for self defense in the state of Florida. See Florida statute 790.01

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes :->2009->Ch0790->Section 01 : flsenate.gov

Note that this includes both contact tasers and those which fire wire attached needles.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Knowing that you will probably lose your job if forced to defend yourself, I would still carry (because it is not illegal to do so).
    It's hard to pay the bills without a job, but far more difficult to do so if you're dead.
    OMO, but you have to make the call!
    + 1. Well said. I would go with deep concealment and give yourself some peace of mind. BTW, tell NO ONE. Not even someone that you think that you can trust. They may slip without intending to hurt you.

The only way anyone would know that you are carrying is if you need to defend yourself. Then what Resupt99 stated will apply.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

I'd carry deeply concealed and forget the company policy. If they don't have armed security to provide for your safety, then IMO, it's your duty to make sure that the life given to you by God, or what ever your belief may be, falls directly and squarely on your shoulders.

Some will disagree and frankly, I couldn't care any less. IMO, The companies right to deny doesn't trump your right to self defense. As long as it's legal in the state you live and all you're doing is breaking company policy, I'd say make the call and know that the worse case scenario is a simple one. If you ever have to use your weapon while on the job, you'll most likely loose your job as a result, but if you don't carry some form of self defense and something happens that results in the loss of your life. You loose your job and life. For me it's a simple answer. I can find a new job if I have to, but I have only one life to give and it's not for the company I work for.... JSGOTI

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

conceal well, DON'T TELL ANYONE. its your life. if you die because you couldnt defend yourself due to corporate policy, i'm sure your employer will send a nice letter to your family saying how sorry they are about the unfortunate incident that occured. the letter written by someone that would never go to the area you are told to work in due to the crime rate. this is something i will never understand. send someone to do a job without a way to defend themselves while hiding behind a desk and corporate b.s. about no ccw even though they passed a background check by the FBI and passed a course that proves they know the law and how to properly use a fire arm. i just don't get it. someone please explain that to me!!

Quote Originally Posted by NY27 View Post
    + 1. Well said. I would go with deep concealment and give yourself some peace of mind. BTW, tell NO ONE. Not even someone that you think that you can trust. They may slip without intending to hurt you.

The only way anyone would know that you are carrying is if you need to defend yourself. Then what Resupt99 stated will apply.
    Yep, another +1 here. There are not a lot of companies out there that are willing to look politically incorrect and allow people to carry. They are just covering themselves and this allows them to be absolved of any involvement whatsoever if someone had to defend themselves. By the way, are they giving you a daily update on the "reasonable steps" they're taking in making your occupation more safe? Didn't think so. In fact, if you want to see a funny "deer in the headlights" look, ask them for an update. The guy writing that bull is sitting at a desk nowhere near your situation. He cares nothing of your situation either; he only has company liability in mind. Lose my life.....lose my job. No brainer.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Quote Originally Posted by CreapyCrawler View Post
    Actually Pepper Spray and Taser are legal for self defense in the state of Florida. See Florida statute 790.01

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes :->2009->Ch0790->Section 01 : flsenate.gov

Note that this includes both contact tasers and those which fire wire attached needles.
    I'm aware that they're legal, but I was directed that it is a violation of corporate policy to carry either of them.

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    I'd carry deeply concealed and forget the company policy. If they don't have armed security to provide for your safety, then IMO, it's your duty to make sure that the life given to you by God, or what ever your belief may be, falls directly and squarely on your shoulders.

Some will disagree and frankly, I couldn't care any less. IMO, The companies right to deny doesn't trump your right to self defense. As long as it's legal in the state you live and all you're doing is breaking company policy, I'd say make the call and know that the worse case scenario is a simple one. If you ever have to use your weapon while on the job, you'll most likely loose your job as a result, but if you don't carry some form of self defense and something happens that results in the loss of your life. You loose your job and life. For me it's a simple answer. I can find a new job if I have to, but I have only one life to give and it's not for the company I work for.... JSGOTI

GBK
    Gives me a lot to think about... well said.
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NY27 View Post

I'd add the "no tell list" to include your fiancee. She works for the same company and all it would take is an event at her store (robbery, mugging, etc.) and she could tell her closest friend that you have serious crime issues at your store and you carry. Your employment would be toast at that point through an innocent slip of the tongue.

I know your area and it's not good. Your map has more icons than most and is a free-for-all area. Stay safe my friend and carry.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by BkCo1 View Post
    Sometimes a man has to do what a man has to do.
    Get my drift.
    Semper Fi
    Like the Marine says above...

I'm aware that they're legal, but I was directed that it is a violation of corporate policy to carry either of them.

Gives me a lot to think about... well said.

It's actually quite simple. Either you go against company policy and care/take responsibility for yourself/your safety or you don't and take your chances. The company won't give a damn if you get hurt and if you are out of the office for an extended period of time, they'll just look to replace you.

I'd say deep concealment like everyone else. Heck, a Kel-Tec P3AT with a pocket clip is inexpensive and about as deep as you can get. CDNN has them going for $220 in black or $250 in chrome. I'd say chrome because of the heat/sweat.

Quote Originally Posted by sniper58 View Post
    I'd add the "no tell list" to include your fiancee. She works for the same company and all it would take is an event at her store (robbery, mugging, etc.) and she could tell her closest friend that you have serious crime issues at your store and you carry. Your employment would be toast at that point through an innocent slip of the tongue.

I know your area and it's not good. Your map has more icons than most and is a free-for-all area. Stay safe my friend and carry.
    Not telling my fiancee is not an option. We live together, which would make keeping it from her nearly impossible. She's a permit holder herself and we're discussing having her carry at work herself. She's the one encouraging me every day to "carry anyway".
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    I was not asked, but was told I'd be heading up there. The move was not optional.
    Everything in life is optional except death and taxes.

Where there is a will, there is a way! You do work for a "national" wireless company. Be creative in finding a new job.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

VIP Member
    Well, based on the crime map and your lovely demographics, it would appear that you guys are about ready to be next. I don’t know what to make of it, except I already consider you to be brave, to even work there! I agree with some others in that you should be looking to transfer out of that combat zone.

More to say… Remember that part of 'situational awareness' is to lower your exposure.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

The criminal element does not have a list of rules to follow. When they see a chance to profit they take it by any means necessary! The rest of us "law abiding" citizens are always going to be restrained by asinine rules issued by some big wig (politician or employer) who is only worried about their bottom line.

It is your duty to protect yourself and your family!
    1 Corinthians 15:3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; 4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links