I hate working in the 'hood...

This is a discussion on I hate working in the 'hood... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by gottabkiddin I'd carry deeply concealed and forget the company policy. If they don't have armed security to provide for your safety, then ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: I hate working in the 'hood...

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    I'd carry deeply concealed and forget the company policy. If they don't have armed security to provide for your safety, then IMO, it's your duty to make sure that the life given to you by God, or what ever your belief may be, falls directly and squarely on your shoulders.

Some will disagree and frankly, I couldn't care any less. IMO, The companies right to deny doesn't trump your right to self defense. As long as it's legal in the state you live and all you're doing is breaking company policy, I'd say make the call and know that the worse case scenario is a simple one. If you ever have to use your weapon while on the job, you'll most likely loose your job as a result, but if you don't carry some form of self defense and something happens that results in the loss of your life. You loose your job and life. For me it's a simple answer. I can find a new job if I have to, but I have only one life to give and it's not for the company I work for.... JSGOTI

GBK
    Normally I might disagree, but in a case like this, I can't, you need to arm yourself and be prepared especially where crime is a problem around you or that area. It doesn't have to be a Rambo Weapon, get yourself something small that's easy to be concealed like a fire extinguisher "Break Glass in case of Emergency".
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

2. Remove Ads

There are other options too. My situation is similar in some ways. I teach in an inner city public high school in Miami FL. That neighborhood, too is full of the bad guys. Most of the REALLY bad BAD GUYS are outside our perimeter. They have no interest in "school" for their own academic benefit. They like the school as a "customer base." The MS13 guys are easy to spot and avoid with all those tats. Of course I can't carry at school and my parking situation precludes then carry to or from as well.

But when things are really wild and wooly sometimes I take my plastic travel wrench http://www.shomer-tec.com/product/im...erambit-96.cfm in my pocket or a SHARKEY marker from "Cold Steel." http://www.coldsteel.com/pocketshark.html

Last year, a teacher was jumped in my hallway after school. He was tutoring the kids for FCAT on his own time. There was no security available after school there. He'd confiscated an iPod during his class that day and the female student had slapped him. She was given an outdoor suspension although she should have been arrested according to district policy, but the principal at that time was a wuss and didn't go that route. She came back after school and ambushed the teacher (sheep) outside his class which is right across the hall from ME. I usually stay late to grade my papers, but that day I was out sick with the flu. The perp brought her crack addict mom and her golden gloves boxer brother. They busted the teacher's jaw in three places. The next day the girl (student) shows up looking all innocent and stupid. She was THEN arrested on the spot. The teacher, never returned.

I was asked by my kids what I would have done and am I now "scared to come to work?" I laughed at that one. Out loud. I looked at my class who was waiting expectantly for my answer:

"Look, I'm too young to die and too old to get my butt kicked. So ... I'm just gonna kill ya." They were mostly stunned. But a few of my guys all kind of yowled and said: "Yeah we sorta figured you'd say something like that! You GO, sir!"

Once I got a bad kid expelled and he made all sorts of DIRE threats. Nothin' I'd not heard before, especially when I was getting some dirtbags probation or parole revoked while I was a badged parole officer. I heard that stuff in court sometimes. This case made the other teacher's afraid. I guess the kid had a "rep." So I started walking around school with a section of the Miami Herald rolled up under my arm. My Aikido Sensei had been working with me on this particular improvised weapon quite extensively and I felt very confident that I could use it to best advantage against one or more opponents any time they cared to step up. None ever did. Personal bearing is everything in my business.

"If you look like prey you WILL be eaten."
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I think your situation is very different from the man from Illinois because Florida is far more gun friendly.

If you carrying concealed is legal, i.e. you have a license, and there is only a company policy against it on their premises, not a law against it then I assume the worst that could happen is they would fire you..

Of course they would first have to KNOW you are violating company policy.
    It's called "Concealed" carry for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by BkCo1 View Post
    Sometimes a man has to do what a man has to do.
    Get my drift.
    Semper Fi
    What he said!

Quote Originally Posted by Puppy View Post

Of course they would first have to KNOW you are violating company policy.
    It's called "Concealed" carry for a reason.
    We learn to break policy and a young age and continue to do so all our lives.........that is why we have to get a good lawyer when we need one. Until then rock on!

2 options as I see it;

1; Start showing up to work in a full suit of body armor and maybe just maybe "they" will get it.

2; Carry.
    ((Place funny, whitty comment here))

Amazing. A few weeks ago we had a discussion about whether or not an employer should have the right to ban you from protecting your life and I was the only one who thought it should be illegal for an employer to do so and was lambasted for my opinion.

Now everyone says "screw the employer" - his "right" (which it isn't) doesn't trump yours.

Unfortunately find a new job or break company policy are your only options. I think that the right to defend one's self is another right that employers should not be allowed to violate and we should pass laws to make it so.

Seems the concensus is to deep carry against company policy and in your situation I agree. As far as telling anybody you mentioned your fiancee carries as well and encourages you to carry anyway. Well to that I say hurry up and marry her before somebody else sweeps her away!
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

I'm familiar with that area and that store. The wife and I bought our current phones from there(also got my tux for our wedding in the same plaza). After dark I prefer not to be anywhere near that area with our without a firearm. If I had to be in that area after dark there's no way I would do it without being armed.
    Rob

Iíve been there myself, and I can understand your dilemma.

If you choose to carry anyway, and someone finds out youíre terminated

If you choose to carry and use your sidearm to stop a BG, youíre terminated

If you choose to carry and miss the BG trying to hold up your store and instead shoot through the glass and hit a by-stander across the street you may face criminal charges, or at least need to hire an attorney for representation.

If you choose NOT to carry and a BG robs your store, you may be killed or injured, and not even have a chance to defend yourself.

The only think Iíll tell you is when I faced the same issue, I chose to carry.

But, I figured that if it was a uncomplicated robbery, Iíd leave my pistol holstered, but if the stickup went wrong, at least I would have options.

God bless

At the very least consider wearing a kevlar vest. You can get a secondhand one for not too much money. EMS is fast enough that most limb hits won't be terminal. The head is a relatively small target. Not ideal but it sure improves your odds.

Quote Originally Posted by NY27 View Post
    + 1. Well said. I would go with deep concealment and give yourself some peace of mind. BTW, tell NO ONE. Not even someone that you think that you can trust. They may slip without intending to hurt you.

The only way anyone would know that you are carrying is if you need to defend yourself. Then what Resupt99 stated will apply.
    I agree with the above posts. In the end the only one you can trust to keep you alive is yourself. No job is worth getting killed over.
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

ACTIVELY look for another job. If you're a Super Tech, then you should have marketable skills desired by OTHER mobile telcom providers.

Your choice, your life.

If you chose to ignore your employers 'no carry' policy, you'll get fired when someone finds out (oh, and they WILL). So you know your solution....just got to move on it. Best of luck.

I agree with the point on marketable skills. Part of my dilemma regarding simply moving to another carrier is the lack of corporate Service and Repair for most wireless carriers... and a third party dealer doesn't offer the same type of compensation as a corporation.

Guh...
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

The company I work for also has a strict no firearms policy. My policy is one that I adapted from Slick Willie, Don't ask, Don't tell.........just sayin

YMMV

Lon

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links