I hate working in the 'hood... - Page 6

I hate working in the 'hood...

This is a discussion on I hate working in the 'hood... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by liljake82 If you do decide to carry at work it would probably be best not to post it. To many people are ...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: I hate working in the 'hood...

Quote Originally Posted by liljake82 View Post
    If you do decide to carry at work it would probably be best not to post it. To many people are already loosing jobs thanks to facebook and myspace. Just a FWIW.
    That's for sure. I never post anything that I wouldnt say in front of my boss.
    Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    If you are living your life worried about being a victim all the time and not enjoying life to the fullest, you are already a victim...
    -You don't know what you don't see-

1*

NRA Member

I do not know if company policy is going to make much difference if you are dead or badly hurt because you could not defend yourself?

If you are robbed or mugged the company may not stand with you?

You may become a liability to be gotten rid of and out of the way of profit.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pangloss9 View Post
    Possible options:
    1. Actively look for a new job, but don't quit until you find one.
    2. Request to be transferred (again).
    3. Buy pepper spray.
    4. Carry concealed against company policy.

I do think a group of three people closing a store would be a less desirable target than only two people. While this is small comfort, I do think it is an improvement.
    i like #1-3 my #4 would be Defensive Knife.... carry the pepper spray on your hip and draw the attention of your management give them the choice concealed gun... or open carry pepper spray....
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

I haven't read all the threads but I would just carry in your case. Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Jim

Wink Assumption of the risk is the rebuttal at law....

Quote Originally Posted by xsigma40cal View Post
    The short and easy of it is this, the company knows you are in a high risk area and also has documented inquiries into the "no carry" policy. Therefore they have acknowleged that it is a forseeable risk that one of their employees may be assaulted. since you are technically considered an employee, your duties to your employer stop once you have left that store for the evening and are not subject to company policy.

Im not lawyer(yet), but should you get into an altercation where deadly force is acceptable under Florida statute, you are immune from civil suit, but not firing from your company. Thats where it gets complicated as to whether you'd want to fork out a bunch of money to sue for your job when the company didnt much give a crap for your safety in the first place. If you were shot/stabbed(god forbid), you could be entitled to damages from the company.

So, pick your battle. Its either with the company or that jive mofo Ray-Ray.
    Yeah but when I went to law school over 20 years ago, the doctrine of foreseeability can cut both ways. Yes there is a foreseeable risk but the rules were made clear before employment was accepted. So if you work there you accept the risk and that pretty much clears the employer. It's like taking a seat at a ball game along the foul line. You ASSUME the RISK for the choice of seating as you might get hit by a foul ball. That was actually one of the cases I had in law school where we learned about "assumption of the risk."
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by BkCo1 View Post
    Sometimes a man has to do what a man has to do.
    Get my drift.
    Semper Fi
    I would listen to this advice. My friend grew up in a bad part of FL. They set people on fire there. Yeah, there are not job around so tough it out and protect yourself.

This is what the old geezers call cutting your teeth. Hopefully you will be rewarded in time.

You may even save your boss's or supervisor's life one day with it, then what will they say.....
    Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    If you are living your life worried about being a victim all the time and not enjoying life to the fullest, you are already a victim...
    -You don't know what you don't see-

1*

NRA Member

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Links