Traveling to Missouri

Traveling to Missouri

This is a discussion on Traveling to Missouri within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Question for you Missourians. I'll be spending the holidays in St. Louis. I was looking at handgunlaws.us and I have a question. Under section 571.107 ...

Traveling to Missouri

Question for you Missourians.

I'll be spending the holidays in St. Louis. I was looking at handgunlaws.us and I have a question. Under section 571.107 places prohibited even with a conceiled license #6 government owned buildings. One of the places we are taking the kids is the "City Museum". I don't know but I would assume the city owns the building. Is this restricted or does the law only pertain to government building where government is opperated. If it does pertain to any government owned building is there a way to know if a building is government owned?

Good question........ I'm interested in what the show me folks have to say........

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

Thanks deadeye111. I wanted to read it straight from the source but couldn't find page for MO's laws. That was more clear than handgunlaw.us. When we get there I'll look for the sign to see if it's posted

Edit: ok there really was a post from deadeye111 with a link to Missouri's law pages. What happened? Where did you go deadeye?
    Last edited by cliffyp; December 20th, 2009 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Question?

No sign on the door prohibiting weapons and no metal detectors likely means you'll be able to carry I know in PA museums aren't considered "governent buildings". Government buildings are more like your judicial buildings and not musuems.

You may want to call them directly, but I'm pretty sure the city museum (contrary to it's name) is privately owned and developed.

If you have never been there it is well worth the trip. You should plan to spend at least 2 hours there, if not half a day. Many of the activities are physically intensive, requiring crawling, climbing, sliding, etc. If you plan to participate with the kids instead of observing, you will want to make sure you have adequate retention for anything you bring. I have seen more than one person drop their wallet, keys, etc. It would be embarrasing (at the least) if you dropped something more sensitive.

Hope you enjoy St. Louis.

Quote Originally Posted by cliffyp View Post
    Question for you Missourians.

I'll be spending the holidays in St. Louis. I was looking at handgunlaws.us and I have a question. Under section 571.107 places prohibited even with a conceiled license #6 government owned buildings. One of the places we are taking the kids is the "City Museum". I don't know but I would assume the city owns the building. Is this restricted or does the law only pertain to government building where government is opperated. If it does pertain to any government owned building is there a way to know if a building is government owned?

VIP Member
    I deleted the first post as I had edited it twice but the state government property should have a posted sign at the entrance per 157.107.1 (6)

Any portion of a building in which the carrying of concealed firearms is prohibited or limited shall be clearly identified by signs posted at the entrance to the restricted area.

This is the link to Chapter 571:
    CHAPTER 571

Great thing about the Missouri law, there is no criminal penalty for going into a prohibited place, you can be asked to leave if discovered, only upon refusing to leave can you be charged with trespass.

The government building reference is for buildings where governmental bodies meet (city council etc)

To be legal a "NO GUNS" sign must be 8 1/2" by 11" with 1" lettering, but I refuse to do business with any business that posts even a non compliant sign, they don't want my money.

Depending on the age of your children the St. Louis Museum of Art is also worth a visit, there is an "Arms & Armor" exhibit in the basement that shouldn't be missed; there is more than "just" art there. There is an "easy to miss" no guns sign on the side wall between the double entryway. I have been there several times with no problems.

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    I can only echo what F350 said. With regard to Missouri state statutes, if you have a valid conceal carry permit issued by any government agency in the USA and if you accidentally carry in a place prohibited, you could be asked to leave. If you leave, then the issue is closed.

Quote Originally Posted by tiwee View Post
    I can only echo what F350 said. With regard to Missouri state statutes, if you have a valid conceal carry permit issued by any government agency in the USA and if you accidentally carry in a place prohibited, you could be asked to leave. If you leave, then the issue is closed.
    I like that......

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

St. Louis has a place called the MAGIC HOUSE you and your kids would really enjoy. There is 50,000 square foot facility with hundreds of exhibits

The Magic House, St. Louis Children's Museum

The Magic House is on the list. I had never heard of it but the wife just told me about it. Sounds pretty fun.

Thanks for all the replies CC'ers

Links