Some random, miscellaneous observations about various stuff

This is a discussion on Some random, miscellaneous observations about various stuff within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just some random stuff: Lady horrified at the sight of me I was standing at the Walmart pharmacy counter the other day. No one else ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Some random, miscellaneous observations about various stuff

Some random, miscellaneous observations about various stuff

Just some random stuff:

Lady horrified at the sight of me
    I was standing at the Walmart pharmacy counter the other day. No one else was in line, and no one from the pharmacy was there... just me. I look around and see a 30-something lady sitting on one of the benches. She's looking at me with a horrified look on her face. I'm thinking, "Dang, I may look a bit rough around the edges, but horrified?" I'm in tattered jeans, long sleeve shirt, with a cold-weather vest on. Granted, the jeans are ragged, but so?

My only guess is she was reacting to the knife clipped inside the pant pocket that's about halfway down my leg. I had no intention to conceal it, as it's acceptable here and in my work, so it wasn't a failure of concealment.

Horrified? Some people are hopeless.

Smartcarry: blue or white?
    I've heard this question asked. I wondered myself when ordering. At some point I ordered one of each. After a couple years, here are my observations:

I've encountered zero instances where the color mattered in terms of concealment. I can think of some hypothetical situations, but none have materialized for me.

Minor observations: the white shows gun oil more. If there isn't much leakage of oil, it's a non-issue. The black waistband on the blue holster leached black onto one of my light grey sweatpants, around the top in the rear. Not really an issue. It doesn't even show if I'm wearing a t-shirt.

Bottom line: the color doesn't much matter.

Smartcarry with 2 auto's
    I read where someone carries 2 Glocks in his SC, but whenever I tried to carry 2 auto's, the rear sights clinked together when I moved. An auto and a hammerless revolver is what I usually carry with no problems.

Since almost nobody carries 2 autos in a SC, I don't guess it matters much. Just a bit of info that surprised me.

Standing up, then hearing a heavy metal object fall to the floor and BOUNCE :(
    Last night we went to a ritzy place for some Christmas music. Afterwards we were invited to dinner nearby. Great food. I had some Mexican combo something-or-other.

As I stood to leave, I felt something fall off my body, and I heard a heavy metal object bounce off the floor. Several thoughts occurred to me simultaneously:
    • Metal has fallen from my body. Not good.
    • No BOOM associated with falling object. That's a little bit of good news.
    • Exactly which metal piece was it, and how did it fall out?
    • Okay, let me grab it and try to reconceal it, whatever it is, before anyone notices.
    I reach down, but my wife has reached first. She grabs the full mag, hands it to me below the table, I palm it and stick it in my pocket, then try to act like nothing happened.

I have posted before how the full-size mags for my XD-45 compact wouldn't stay in the mag holder pockets of the Deep Concealment Shoulder holster. They would fall out anytime I bent over. So I swore off wearing that rig with XD-45 mags.

Last night I was wearing a S&W 6906 9mm in the shoulder rig, with 2 spare mags in the mag holders under my right arm. These mags are relatively short, and were almost fully covered by the mag pockets.

Apparently my body movements during dinner caused the front mag to edge up until it fell out. I give up on carrying mags in this holster until I can sew some velcro retaining straps to the mag holders. I've never heard of anyone else having this problem with this holster, but unfortunately I've proven it just won't work for me, without some further modification.

Any shoulder holstler
    If I feel I'm not swinging my arm naturally, I'll stick something in that hand which may provide an excuse to keep my arm stiffer. Not necessary for experienced carriers.

U.S. Senator
    Back when it was warm weather, I attended an outdoor event in our fine city. At some point I looked around, and over to my left about 15' stood a former U.S. Senator. I didn't bother him. Gave him his privacy. No security around, just him.

No problem until I decided to leave. I was wearing a button-down, short-sleeve shirt, and was wearing a large pistol IWB underneath the untucked shirt.

During the event, a tremendous wind had kicked up. It wasn't a problem until I turned to leave. I had over 50 yards to walk to my car, across an open area. The wind kicked up my shirttail, or attempted to, until I reached out and held it down.

So there I am, walking across an open area totally exposed, holding my shirttail down with one hand, and trying to look inconspicious. I'm pretty sure I looked guilty as sin, but what else could I do? All I wanted to do was get out of Dodge.

I never made that mistake again.

Coworker 1
    I posted a few months back about some of my coworkers and their level of gun interest. A few weeks ago, another coworker (whom I avoided talking gun issues with) came to me in private. He had a gunshop brochure in hand, and he wanted to ask my opinion of a sale they had. He said he felt it was time to be armed.

Sooooo, change of plans, we went to some gunshops at lunch. He didn't buy that day, but he is now armed, for the first time in about 30 years. That was a pleasant surprise: he is one of the last one's I would have expected to choose to be armed.

Coworker 2
    This is the female who decided on her own it was time to be armed. About 2 months ago Geds and I took her shooting, then to several gunshops, and she then purchased a 9mm XD for home defense.

About 10 days ago, she came up to me and said she needed a smaller gun to carry. Soooooo, off to the gunshop we went again.

I recommended a single-stack 9mm, both for the slimness and ammo compatibility with her other 9. We tried:
    • PF-9
    • Kahr
    • Taurus slim
    • Sig 225
    She liked the sizes, but she couldn't drop the slides when they were locked back. I expect some of them would have loosened up over time, but I also had to exert a lot of force to drop some of them even when slingshotting the slide.

So we looked at revolvers. Nope, not a revolver girl. She's from the city, and she wants an auto.

I look disappointingly at a .22 auto... I had only days before convinced her to NOT buy a .22, and now we're holding it and trying it. She can rack it just fine.

Then I spot a Walther .380. I ask the owner if we can see it, and he plops a Bersa .380 on the counter (I don't know if he misunderstood me, or if he was recommending the Bersa, but it didn't much matter due to what happened next). She tried it, easily dropped the slide with her thumb on the slide release, and promptly purchased it.

Not my first choice of carry weapon or caliber, but I think it will do her just fine.

Actually, I had to try very, very hard to NOT buy the Bersa Thunder plus .380 (15+1) that he had for $360. I've shot a Thunder plus before, and it was a fantastic shooter: zero or almost zero recoil, with a very crisp trigger. I'd better quit thinking about it: the gunshop is open at this very moment.

Coworker 3
    This is the guy who owns a .32 revolver and keeps 3 bullets in it, stored somewhere in his house. I've given up many times on trying to help him get better prepared. Then at some point, I'd try again... then realize it's his decision to be unprepared if he insists.

He wanted to look at the type of gun the other coworker purchased, so off to the gunshop we go. Fortunately the shop has a good selection. He found a similar one, held it, caressed it, dropped the slide... and purchased.

It was a good week.

Only one coworker now that either isn't armed, or can't get one almost immediately (his relative's house is a block away, and they both know and like guns).

With a run like that, I'm thinking about going for broke, and bringing up the topic of self-defense with the one remaining holdout. Who knows... maybe she's a closet carrier herself.

When I needed all the help I could get
    Disclaimer: Missouri law differs from many state laws in that it isn't a crime to carry in a place just because the place is posted (fed facilities notwithstanding--I'm talking about private businesses). I understand the arguments about not carrying in posted businesses, and I'm not going to rehash the entire argument here. Suffice it to say that sometimes I'll carry anyway due to safety issues of myself or my family. So I will use "NPE" in a generic sense that includes all places where open carry or concealed carry is frowned upon, including the many places where it "is not a crime" to carry concealed anyway (quoted verbatim from the Missouri Attorney General website). Now that the disclaimer is given...

I compiled this list when I thought I was going to a non-traditional, high-risk NPE, and I was looking for any and every edge I could get. The event ended up being relocated to, um, America, but here are some of the additional tips I found:
    • Stay with family (wife and kids) if possible. I might appear to be less of a threat as a family man rather than a lone wolf.
    • Hang my reading glasses on my nose. Some believe glasses make one look weak. In an NPE, I don't want to look like an alpha male or a combatant, if that would raise suspicions. In a specific case like this, I want to look like a weak sheep. (This was specific to the one place I was researching... I would normally give the opposite advice to look confident and dangerous in order to ward off predators.)
    • Have a recent haircut and dress up a bit--look like I'm a businessman if possible.
    • If I spot security, don't pay them much attention. And DON'T stare at their gun trying to identify it. Ignore it and them other than a pleasant greeting if it seems appropriate.
    • Don't dress overly sloppy or a lot more casual than the normal wear for a typical event. In certain businesses or neighborhoods around here, wearing a ball cap will mark me as someone who is perceived to be of a lower class than their regular clientel, and thus more likely to be armed.
    Maybe some are obvious, maybe some are questionable for different areas, but I was looking for all the help I could get.

Well, I guess I can quit typing now that the gunshop is closed. :(

Conclusion
    I ran across a great quote the other day, so I borrowed part of it.

Speak softly and carry extra mags-- bc45

Modified to:

Speak softly and carry extra guns--grady

2. Remove Ads

Interesting read, wish you luck convincing your other co-worker.

Grady, someday you and I really need to sit down for a cup of coffee.
    Cape Locum Et Fac Vestigium

Grady, Where do you come up with this stuff? You always have entertaining threads. By the way I am finally getting a pocket pistol, Kahr CW40. Being an old Marine I always carry big heavy stuff. If I ride my bike to Law Ride in Wqshington D.C. next year I will try to have coffee with you. i usually take I70 to I64. I hate crossing Ill.

Semper Fi

Senior Moderator
    Good read. Enjoyed it.
    It was well written.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan; by way of St. Mayberry, GA
    Great post. Very intresting week indeed.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Love your writing, Grady!
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

Great write-up.

However, not to sound like a newbie, but what does "NPE" stand for?

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post

Actually, I had to try very, very hard to NOT buy the Bersa Thunder plus .380 (15+1) that he had for $360. I've shot a Thunder plus before, and it was a fantastic shooter: zero or almost zero recoil, with a very crisp trigger.
    I had a Bersa Thunder .380, feels like someone hitting the area between my thumb and forefinger with a hammer everytime I fired it. I sold it promptly.

Good stories though.
    I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit

Fun and informative post - thanks Grady!

I've been using a SmartCarry for a long time now and wondered about the color thing - thanks for answering the question I didn't even have to ask.

I never have tried carrying two guns in my SmartCarry (only own one), but have been strongly considering an XD45 Compact as my second gun and new primary gun.
    How does your XD Compact carry in the SmartCarry? I was thinking it may be a bit thick and tend to print too much.
    Also what size SmartCarry seems to fit the XD the best?

Thanks for sharing,
    Bobo
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other"
    ~John Adams

Grady,

The Walmart incident showed that the lady was incredulous that you were at the pharmacy counter and that you had your own teeth, weren't on oxygen and were paying with your own money!

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    It had me reading the whole thing start to finish. Thanks.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Don't you just love us Old Marines.............SemperFi
    Most people go through life wondering if they made a difference. Marines don't have that problem! Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    That was a great weak Grady. Good job being there for them.

I too look forward to sitting down with you someday in the not too distant future.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

VIP Member
    Good read THX.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links