Travel to PRNJ - Page 2

Travel to PRNJ

This is a discussion on Travel to PRNJ within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by HITCH KING Flair gun in case you get stuck in the middle of the road. Is that the gun you use to ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Travel to PRNJ

Quote Originally Posted by HITCH KING View Post
    Flair gun in case you get stuck in the middle of the road.
    Is that the gun you use to hunt ex pro wrestlers?

So let me get this straight if I have my handgun unloaded and locked inside a lock box and ammo in its original packaging in a separate lock box in the trunk of my car and I'm driving though NJ on I-95 en route to say Connecticut,I'm not legal this way to transport my handgun? This can't be right can it? Doesn't federal law ensure safe passage or transport through any state? And doesn't federal law trump NJ state law in this matter?
    Snub nose revolvers,the original concealed carry guns.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911luver View Post
    So let me get this straight if I have my handgun unloaded and locked inside a lock box and ammo in its original packaging in a separate lock box in the trunk of my car and I'm driving though NJ on I-95 en route to say Connecticut,I'm not legal this way to transport my handgun? This can't be right can it? Doesn't federal law ensure safe passage or transport through any state? And doesn't federal law trump NJ state law in this matter?
    The issue is that in NJ it would be illegal for a non resident (no permit holder) to posses the handgun???. If your just passing through and your possession is legal you're OK to pass through.

The OP is not "passing through" NJ is his destination.

I guess the question is: Does NJ require some form of "permit to possess" a handgun?

FEDERAL LAW ON TRANSPORTATION OF FIREARMS

A provision of federal law serves as a defense to state or local laws which would prohibit the passage of persons with firearms in interstate travel.

Notwithstanding any state or local law, a person shall be entitled to transport a firearm from any place where he may lawfully possess it to any other place where he may lawfully possess such firearm if the firearm is unloaded and in the trunk. In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm shall be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. Necessary stops, like gasoline and rest, seem permissible.

ETA:

NJ law makes no sense...

there are provisions for a purchase permit, but then there's the provision for the carry permit which states as referenced above:
    N.J.A.C. 13:54-2.2 Permit required
    No person, except as provided in N.J.S.A. 2C:39-6, shall carry, hold or possess a handgun
    without first having obtained a permit to carry the same in accordance with the provisions of this
    chapter.
    But if you have a purchase permit, buy a gun and don't have a carry permit, you have the gun and posses it

NJ sucks period.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by dlclarkii View Post
    NJ sucks period.

Unless you look good in prison stripes. I would STRONGLLY suggest that you leave your ccw at home. Friends who live in the state warn (remind) me each and every time NOT to carry in New Jersey. No Joke! No ccw permits are issued to common folks period, unless you are LE affiliated (retired, etc..).

Quote Originally Posted by mtb996 View Post
    thanks for the info guys! Looks like I'm heading to Jersey packing heat (in the form of pepper spray only) for the holiday.
    I don't believe that is legal either.

I hate when I have to go up there to visit family, no gun, terrible traffic, bad roads (plus you have to pay to drive on the bad roads) and crappy weather.
    There are many reasons I left and only one I go back for.

I'm in NJ visiting family right now and went through the same moral dilemma. Decided to remain a "Law abiding citizen" and go without my sidearm. This feeling sucks.

I was especially tempted because the pistol I bought back in the 90s when I still lived in NJ was purchased by jumping through all of the hoops, meaning I still have a copy of my "Permit to Purchase a Handgun", and I strongly considered bringing it (and the paperwork). But ultimately decided I would probably still be screwed either way.

I HATE coming back here to visit but until I have no more family here, a once-a-year visit will continue.

Would be nice if victims of violent crime in NJ found a way to successfully sue the state for dis-arming them.

VIP Member
    Did not see this mentioned either, but no hollow point rounds allowed in NJ. Might as well be another country.

Not correct................you can purchase hollow points in NJ and keep them in your home or take them to the range.

But this is NJ and your 2A Rights here are not garanteed as stated recently by a NJ Supreme Court Judge.

Honestly, sling shots are outlawed here so what more could you expect. 99.9% of all NJ citizens are walking the streets and malls unarmed. A great note for BG's to take although Pepper Spray is legal.
    The elected officials here obviously don't trust it's citizens who put them in office, what does that tell ya............

My perspective from here in northeast NJ is that our biggest problem isn't the politicians, it's the Jersey population.
    Folks here are just plain anti-gun.
    And I don't see that changing anytime soon.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

VIP Member
    OP also mentioned traveling through DC & MD.

MD would not be a problem unloaded & cased.

OTOH, I have heard that DC will prosecute -- for both the gun and the ammo.

As possession of the firearm will not be lawful in the State in which the journey will end (NJ) that prosecution would likely stand.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

A story about 18 months old:

Man legally checked handgun in suitcase traveling from one legal destination to another with a change of planes in Newark,NJ.

Connecting flight cancelled. Airline arranges for a hotel room and has his bags brought to him.

Police arrive and he is arrested for having a hangun. Gets to spend 4 days in a fine NJ penal institution where his martial skills and sexual preferences are put into question and tested before he is released.

This 50 something man with no previous arrests of any kind currently has a fine lawsuit but is it worth it?

My son lives in NJ. Enjoy your trip!

VIP Member

Correct, but...

Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    Not correct................you can purchase hollow points in NJ and keep them in your home or take them to the range.

But this is NJ and your 2A Rights here are not garanteed as stated recently by a NJ Supreme Court Judge.

Honestly, sling shots are outlawed here so what more could you expect. 99.9% of all NJ citizens are walking the streets and malls unarmed. A great note for BG's to take although Pepper Spray is legal.
    The elected officials here obviously don't trust it's citizens who put them in office, what does that tell ya............
    Correct, here is the relevant law New Jersey State Police - Transportation and Use of Hollow Point Ammunition by Sportsmen

In the context of traveling thru the state (poster's question) with hollow points, can cause legal problems. There was a relevant case within the last 1 - 2 years where a mother was traveling thru NJ with hollow points and wound up with a conviction.

But you are correct, residents of NJ may keep them in their homes and transport for sporting purposes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links