Travel to PRNJ

This is a discussion on Travel to PRNJ within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I live in NC and am driving to NJ for the holidays. I know my CCW is not honored in DC, Maryland or NJ. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Travel to PRNJ

Travel to PRNJ

I live in NC and am driving to NJ for the holidays. I know my CCW is not honored in DC, Maryland or NJ. I am considering bringing my CC pistol with me on my trip. I assume that I can just leave it locked in its case in the glovebox or storage area of the car while in NJ and traveling through DC and Maryland.

Trying to figure out if its worth the trouble to even bring. Would you bother to bring it and keep it locked up?

2. Remove Ads

If I am not mistaken, NJ has to provide transition rights, meaning if you are driving through the state and not TO. Be very careful as NJ is a very gun UNFRIENDLY state.

that's my problem. I am going to NJ for about 9 days (lucky me). With the exception of a couple road trips to Pa, I will be in Jersey the whole time. NOT looking to get in trouble with the LEO while there, but will be traveling through some ugly places at some late night times...

with travel restrictions in NJ, the gun will do you know good if you have it properly stored in the car. With you not being a citizen of NJ your handgun probably isn't legal anyway...

It sounds like you are going to NJ for something other than target practice and you are thinking of bringing your gun for self defense reasons.

If self defense is the reason, don't do it. That is not a legal reason to be in possession of a handgun in NJ unless it is in your home or you have an unrestricted NJ permit to carry a handgun.

If you are going for target practice, that's fine, but you must be traveling directly to or from the range. So if you are staying in a hotel, or a friends house, then don't do it. If you are going to stop to visit with anyone, don't bring it. With the exception of if your friend happens to live on land where shooting is legal and that's where you are also staying -- not likely.

Unlawful possession of a Handgun is a 2nd Class crime in NJ. That means 5 years mandatory.

If you have the time, look up Revell v. Port Authority. Gregg Revell, traveling from UT to PA got stuck in Newark and missed his connecting flight. He had a handgun in his checked baggage that he was bringing with him for self defense. While traveling through NJ, he was fine, but when he missed his connecting flight and spent the night in a hotel, he was arrested the next morning when he declared the gun when checking his bags again.

I suggest calling your Congressmen to request the reciprocity bill to be submitted again, that and sign the petition on Change.org, search for A1282 and choose NJ Right to Carry and click on Sign the Petition.

Wish I had better news.

Smity

N.J.A.C. 13:54-2.2 Permit required
    No person, except as provided in N.J.S.A. 2C:39-6, shall carry, hold or possess a handgun
    without first having obtained a permit to carry the same in accordance with the provisions of this
    chapter.

2C:39-5. Unlawful Possession of Weapons.

a. Machine guns. Any person who knowingly has in his possession a machine gun or any instrument or device adaptable for use as a machine gun, without being licensed to do so as provided in N.J.S.2C:58-5, is guilty of a crime of the third degree.
    b. Handguns. Any person who knowingly has in his possession any handgun, including any antique handgun without first having obtained a permit to carry the same as provided in N.J.S.2C:58-4, is guilty of a crime of the third degree.

2C:39-6. Exemptions.

N.J.S.2C:39-5 does not apply to:

(1) A member of any rifle or pistol club organized in accordance with the rules prescribed by the National Board for the Promotion of Rifle Practice, in going to or from a place of target practice, carrying such firearms as are necessary for said target practice, provided that the club has filed a copy of its charter with the superintendent and annually submits a list of its members to the superintendent and provided further that the firearms are carried in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section;

(2) A person carrying a firearm or knife in the woods or fields or upon the waters of this State for the purpose of hunting, target practice or fishing, provided that the firearm or knife is legal and appropriate for hunting or fishing purposes in this State and he has in his possession a valid hunting license, or, with respect to fresh water fishing, a valid fishing license;

(b) Directly to or from any target range, or other authorized place for the purpose of practice, match, target, trap or skeet shooting exhibitions, provided in all cases that during the course of the travel all firearms are carried in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section and the person has complied with all the provisions and requirements of Title 23 of the Revised Statutes and any amendments thereto and all rules and regulations promulgated thereunder; or

g. All weapons being transported under paragraph (2) of subsection b., subsection e., or paragraph (1) or (3) of subsection f. of this section shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and in the course of travel shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances.

The transportation section (g) pertains ONLY to transporting a handgun TO or FROM a range or some type of sanctioned shooting event .

IANAL but from the above statutes I would leave my handgun home and only transport it on NJ soil if I was travelling THROUGH and NOT stopping for anything other than gas...........

I think the first section says it all...""N.J.A.C. 13:54-2.2 Permit required
    No person, except as provided in N.J.S.A. 2C:39-6, shall carry, hold or possess a handgun
    without first having obtained a permit to carry the same in accordance with the provisions of this
    chapter.

OMO

bosco
    Last edited by boscobeans; December 21st, 2009 at 01:11 AM. Reason: clarification

Basically no, you can't legally bring it to NJ unless YOU own property there(not your family, YOU). A trip to the range and back home might be OK, but staying with family or friends would be a no-no.

Unfortunately, NJ doesn't honor the 2A.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

Sounds like you're better off leaving it home.

NJ is very, very anit-gun, they're like #2 on the Brady list after CA. NJ has a lot of crime in their cities. My advice is buy a can of mace and a knife before you leave to protect you in the PRNJ. NJ has no tolerance for guns and if you get caught you'll be staying longer than expect in one of their prisons. The same goes for MD. Be careful, this is coming from a nieghbor in PA If you take your gun keep it in a lock box, in your suit case, in your trunk, with your permits and anything else that could tip a LEO you have a gun. Again keep it in a lock box and in your trunk. Be safe.

edit: If you take your gun and are pulled over for a traffic violation in MD, DC, or NJ, I advice telling the LEO your destination is VT or NH just incase you're discovered in route.

Just a suggestion. You could stop at a gunshop in Virginia or Pennsylvania and drop your CCW off at a gunshop for a "cleaning". Probably cost you $10, it would get a good detail strip, be secured in a safe place, and you could pick it up on the way home. At least you could be armed for most of the roadtrip. I wouldn't carry it to NJ personally. Not worth the risk to me.

JD
    Administrator
    I posted incomplete info before regarding transport of a handgun in Jersey, apparently that info is for if you have a permit...

The NRA words it much better.

NEW JERSEY--New Jersey laws governing firearms permits, purchaser identification cars, registration and licenses do not apply to a person who is transporting the firearm through this State if that person is transporting the firearm in a manner permitted by federal law. This federal law permitting interstate transportation of a firearm applies only if all of the following requirements are met: possession of the firearm was lawful in the state in which the journey began; the possession of the firearm will be lawful in the state in which the journey will end; the person is transporting the firearm for a lawful purpose; the firearm is unloaded; the firearm is not directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle; the ammunition is not directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle; if the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from he passenger compartment, the firearm and ammunition must be in a locked container other that the vehicle`s glove compartment or console. A person transporting a firearm through the State of New Jersey in the manner permitted by federal law need not give notice. Whenever an officer has probable cause to believe that a person`s possession of a firearm is in violation of New Jersey law and not permitted by federal law, then the law enforcement officer may make an arrest.
    As your possession of the gun once you arrive in NJ will be prohibited, you're not covered by the Federal law.

Leave it at home.

thanks for the info guys! Looks like I'm heading to Jersey packing heat (in the form of pepper spray only) for the holiday.

Quote Originally Posted by mtb996 View Post
    thanks for the info guys! Looks like I'm heading to Jersey packing heat (in the form of pepper spray only) for the holiday.
    I recommend a good knife too.

Flair gun in case you get stuck in the middle of the road.

The New JOISEY KGB has Flare guns covered as well.

"A Distress Signaling Device does not require a Permit"

Nothing in this section and in N.J.S.2C:58-2 shall apply to the sale or purchase of a visual distress signaling device approved by the United States Coast Guard, solely for possession on a private or commercial aircraft or any boat; provided, however, that no person under the age of 18 years shall purchase nor shall any person sell to a person under the age of 18 years such a visual distress signaling device.

Weld a set of oar locks on your car doors and throw a few oars in the backseat... Good to go...

bosco

Hey Hitch,
    Had some visitors up from Suffolk county.. They postponed their departure to today.. Didn't want to venture out to Westhampton on Sunday...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links