CW in Walmart parking lots

This is a discussion on CW in Walmart parking lots within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I always read the anti Wal-Mart posts with a smile on my face. While respecting the right of anyone else to shop where they choose, ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: CW in Walmart parking lots

I always read the anti Wal-Mart posts with a smile on my face. While respecting the right of anyone else to shop where they choose, I also embrace my right to shop wherever I want to and spend my money in whatever fashion I choose.

I don't work at Wal-Mart so a policy of employees not carrying does not affect me. The employees who are affected by such a policy also have rights... they have the right to either continue to work there and abide by company and/or store policy... or they can exercise their right to go and find a job elsewhere.

My wife and I shop at Wal-Mart on a regular basis. Since we are both retired, we shop where we can save the most money. That's the bottom line.... we save money there. Sure, we have to put up with a bunch of folks we would not normally associate with, or step over crap filled diapers in the parking lot.... but we save money. Through trial and error, we have found that by going at certain times of the day, we can also avoid a lot of the shopping hassle... and people. We do not go late at night, armed or not.

Wal-Mart has no policy against me carrying in their stores, and that's what matters to me. If a little old lady working the exit needs to see my receipt as a matter of store procedure to protect the company against the high cost of shoplifting, it's not a big deal... a very minor inconvenience in the grand scheme of life. I don't shoplift so I have nothing to be concerned about, they are just doing their jobs. I certainly would not want their job, so I always try to be nice and usually end up getting them to smile as they look through my shopping basket.

Wal-Mart is also a source of amusement to me. I scan the crowds and often wonder how many hits I would have if I was still on the job and was able to run computer checks on even half their customers. It's a mental game with me, and helps to keep my SA skills fresh.

I'm a strong supporter of ALL our rights guaranteed by us by the Constitution, especially our Second Amendment rights. But I am also a realist and I won't be standing on a soapbox blasting Wal-Mart because of their corporate policies when they do not affect me... and as I have mentioned throughout this post, I save money by shopping there.

This past week, I was even able to buy a 100 round box of .45 ACP ammo there..... and that is a rarity for any store here in Abilene, Texas. PLUS.... it was purchased at a decent price and no one tried to rip me off like vendors at local gun shows do with the price of their ammo.

Here's another way I look at things: I buy guns on a pretty regular basis. If I find a good buy on an internet forum like this one, I'll get it. I'd rather save money by purchasing good used guns from individuals rather than new ones from dealers. Even buying guns is all about saving money when I can, and... I have the money to buy guns because of efforts to save money in other areas.... like shopping at Wal-Mart. So I guess it's a fair statement to say that shopping at Wal-Mart and saving money helps me to purchase guns !

2. Remove Ads

Those who condemn WalMart for selling goods imported from China obviously have not bothered to look at where the products sold by Lowes, Home Depot, Sears, Target and most other retailers are manufactured.

A significant percentage of the stuff at HD and Lowes is made in China. Same deal for tools with the Companion label from Sears, and some Craftsman label, as well.

I even have some things from that good, old Maryland firm, Black and Decker, that says Made in China on it.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    Those who condemn WalMart for selling goods imported from China obviously have not bothered to look at where the products sold by Lowes, Home Depot, Sears, Target and most other retailers are manufactured.
    But it was really started by walmart. They were the driving force behind the legislation and infrastructure to make foreign goods financially viable in this country.

To CCw9mm - Some of us understand perfectly well what walmart has done and have balanced it with the "good" that they've done and, have come to the conclusion that we'd be better off without them. What I see are many that try to rationalize a poor ethical decision by painting the other side as stupid.

As a corporate citizen, they have choices on how they wish to do business. In just about every case, walmart makes choices that are good for short term profits at the expense of American society. They do this actively by lobbying for legislation that allows them to avoid U.S. laws in their manufacturing.

If goods manufactured in other countries were required to meet equivalent intellectual property, environmental safety and occupational safety requirements, much of the labor cost advantage would be negated by the shipping costs. Walmart is one of the strongest influencers on policies that allow them to avoid our U.S. regulations on those issues. Before you start blurting about free market, I need to point out that in the case of intellectual property and environmental safety regulations, the costs associated with their violations of our policy are being born not by walmart (who should be bearing it) but by us, the citizenry of America.

The mercury laden fish of U.S. fisheries don't care that the murcury in the water is because walmart sourced products from china to avoid the high price of energy in the U.S., partly due to higher emissions standards on U.S. energy plants. Are walmart consumers paying for damage they've done to those fisheries? No, it's the fishing industry and the consumers of fish who are bearing that cost.

Do you think the Chinese factories paid for the intellectual property for the CAD and CAM software they use to run the machines they also copied illegally from U.S. and European designs? Who pays for that?

In terms of occupational safety, that's one that isn't born by us but just because a worker is foreign, does that mean they should sacrifice their limbs or childhood just so that we can by a cheaper lead painted barbie doll for christmas? I live in Detroit and everybody here has at least one older relative with missing fingers from the 50s before we had any sorts of safety requirements. Should humans really have to suffer through all of the indignity and contempt that the U.S. did 60 years ago just because their Chinese?

Yes, you may be better off today by shopping at walmart but when they're quickly becoming the 'only choice' in a lot of places, the future doesn't look good. Monopolies are never good for anyone except the guys at the top. Do we really want to live in a country where everyone works for walmart? If you don't, think about shopping elsewhere when you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post

A significant percentage of the stuff at HD and Lowes is made in China. Same deal for tools with the Companion label from Sears, and some Craftsman label, as well.

I even have some things from that good, old Maryland firm, Black and Decker, that says Made in China on it.
    .... as does Harley-Davidson, one of the last big name symbols of American Pride. H-D now has a lot of foreign parts on the bikes, and a whole lot of clothes and accessories have tags indicating they were made somewhere besides the USA.

We are living in a global economy and the companies that have a hope of being successful have to take advantage of the world market in order to survive.

I will still buy 'Made in the USA' whenever I have a chance, but lately those opportunities seem to be fewer and fewer.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT View Post
    We are living in a global economy and the companies that have a hope of being successful have to take advantage of the world market in order to survive.
    You're right, they're certainly taking advantage of us.

VIP Member
    ...and Wal-Mart probably has more crime in their parking lots than any other stores in the nation!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

So you think that when Sam opened that first few stores he was buying from China? I don't think so but that company has always purchased from the lowest cost provider no matter where that was. They now have a LOT of clout and can dictate the price too much but what does it say when in Ketchikan Alaska they had to close the Wal Mart the second day after it opened because there was nothing left to sell. Sounds to me like the regular merchants were taking to big a piece of the pie. They do not mark up their merchandise to what the market will bare but to what gives them a good return on their investment. My WW had a box of .380 last week and I can guarantee you they did not charge $50 for that box although they probably could have.

Quote Originally Posted by faif2d View Post
    I don't think so but that company has always purchased from the lowest cost provider no matter where that was.
    You should add: and no matter what the impact to American society or the rest of the planet was. Not only that, they built the legislation and infrastructure to allow it.

Quote Originally Posted by BudMan5 View Post
    and I always wonder why people hate WalMart.

As far as anti-military, One of the Walton son's was a highly decorated US Army Special Forces enlisted man who was assigned to Command and Control North (CCN) and made cross border insertions into Laos and North Vietnam. He earned the Silver Star and the Purple Heart when his recon team was ambushed and he was the only one still able to fight and direct helicopter evacuation into the landing zone. Before he died in an experimental aircraft crash, he established an Educational Fund that so far as spent $65 Millinion dollars on sending disadvantaged kids to college.

Did you know WalMart Managers have direct authority to react and sip[port local emergencies. Road Warrior, in Illinois, when the shooting at NIU was going down last year, a local manager immediately began delivering food from the local WalMart store to the police, EMS and fire departments and kept it up for three days. He didn't need to ask permission, but when he notified the WalMart Operations Center in Bensenville, AR they authorized him to expend any amount necessary to support the local emergency workers.

WalMart doed that in every single emergency. If you have had a tornado, fire or hurricaine in your local area, go ask the emergency workers if they received any support from WalMart. Road Waarior, WalMart supported the towns north of Springfield IL last spring when tornados ripped them up and in 1993, during the floods along the Mississippi and Illinois Rivers, WalMart spent almost $10 million dollars in relief supplies and donated their refrigerated trailers for local food storage.

As far as their employees are concerned, there is no union. Biut if you work hard for the company, the company will reward you. My son was pushing carts in the parking lot as a junior in a high scholl just six years ago and is now a district manager. There are many people in my small rural town that are employed by WalMart and if WalMart wasn't here, they would not be working because there is nothing else.

As far as firearms go, I have never seen any signs at WalMart forbidding concealed or open carry and I know of no corporate policy forbidding employees to keep guns in their cars.

Ammo is sold at many WalMarts as are fioirearms. The only places that is not sold is where the local jurisdictions have put pressure or passed laws that forbids WalMart from doing so.

As far as asking you to see your receipt, here's a surprise tip for you. There are actually people in the world that are perfectly capable of having a WalMart receipt in their hand and walking out with a stolen bicycle, TV or high value electronics equipment and making a living at doing it. Go on YouTube and search "WalMart" and "shoplifting" and watch some of the videos of what people attempt to steal.

Sorry, off my rant now
    Ok, so here's my experiences with Walmart.
    Last year my brother-in-law was ordered to active duty in order to be deployed to Iraq. His wife worked at Walmart and asked for 2 weeks off unpaid before he left. Walmart told her she couldn't have time off, and if she took off anyway, they would fire her for it. She had only been working there about 2 months, so no vacation time.

Before her last night at work, Jackie's manager told her to go ahead and clock out, since she was taking off without approval anyway, Walmart wanted her out. She clocked out 2 nights early.

Last summer, we had an unprecedented flood in that started in the county north of me and continued for several days and affected thousands of people and many municipal water systems.

We have a Walmart distribution center less than 50 miles away. Bless their Chinese hearts - they donated a semi trailer full of gallon water jugs that had expiration dates 2 years before. The gesture may have been good, but the water was rejected and Walmart never did anything else.

Personally, if ammo was being sold at half price what a local gun shop is charging, I'll still spend my money at the local gun shop.

I have no use for Walmart - if they were the last place on earth to run a pharmacy, I would let my family die before I bought medicine there. That, ladies and gentlemen, is a lot of contempt and hate. I don't feel as strong about anything in this world as I do this subject.

Recently, there have been a few brazen daylight parking-lot robberies at the Moraine, Ohio, Wal-Mart; black thugs running up to elderly women and taking their purses at gunpoint, then running back to their cars and speeding away back to Dayton, where they can hide on the West Side with their friends until they decide to try or to do it again. We can't wait until they get killed or hurt by a woman who pulls her "Pink Lady" out of her purse.

Quote Originally Posted by PatrioticRick View Post
    Screw that! two people dead in our local Wal-Mart parking lot last Friday.
    Agreed on that. I just dont go anywhere I cant carry at all. Far too many other places to shop and eat to give my money to someone who wants me to give up my right to self defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    Recently, there have been a few brazen daylight parking-lot robberies at the Moraine, Ohio, Wal-Mart; black thugs running up to elderly women and taking their purses at gunpoint, then running back to their cars and speeding away back to Dayton, where they can hide on the West Side with their friends until they decide to try or to do it again. We can't wait until they get killed or hurt by a woman who pulls her "Pink Lady" out of her purse.
    My wife works at a JoAnns here in town. There was an elderly lady who pulled up into the lot, saw a car next to here with a man and woman sitting in it. She gets out and I guess the man tells her hes got a gun and robs her.
    And my family wonders why Im so paranoid about crime
    My mother and sisters are in that particular store all the time and my wife is there. Of course Im going to take the dangers seriously.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links