Does your ammo change with the weather?

This is a discussion on Does your ammo change with the weather? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't change my ammo (Detroit Michigan) .40cal 165grain Law Enforcement T-Series by Winchester...... Year Round 15+1... if the double tap to the chest doesn't ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Does your ammo change with the weather?

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    I don't change my ammo (Detroit Michigan) .40cal 165grain Law Enforcement T-Series by Winchester...... Year Round 15+1... if the double tap to the chest doesn't work (which i think it will be fine) the next one is going to the head.....
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

2. Remove Ads

Wink +1!

Quote Originally Posted by mikiec View Post
    I had never thought about winterizing my ammo. I need to look into this more. I carry a 3inch 1911 in 45.

EX Soldier. I also, had the pluming re-arrainged last year. Down 155LBS.

Mike
    Good for you! GREAT WORK! I've got another thirty pounds to go and I'll be at my target weight. Are you there yet?

Do you have any feeding or extracting issues on your 3" 1911? I have owned THREE of them from different brands and never had a good one yet that wasn't extremely prone to FTFs and FTEs. That's a track record that won't allow me to carry any 1911 that has a sub four inch barrel.

I exchanged letters on this subject with the late great Jeff Cooper before he died and he even made it the topic of a column, where in he rendered reports confirming my experiences from all over the nation and he opined that he himself would never own such a gun unless it was given to him as a gift.

I like that "nose on" shot of the Hydra-Shok. Does anybody have a pic of a similar shot featuring the original Hydra-Shok and the HST (aka Hydra-Shok Two?) I'd love to see if there are any discernible differences and I don't have any HSTs on hand.

On a slightly different matter but same topic, I remember a story from back when I was a student in the school of Criminal Justice at the University of Alabama (next national champs!) and our Prof was relating a funny story of the then new science of CSI. Some county sheriff in rural Texas had heard a story that what was last seen on the eyeballs of a murder victim was imprinted forever there, so this enterprising Texan had the EYES of a murder victim sent to the FBI Crime lab in DC and politely asked them to develop the image so he could arrest the killer. The guy was shot in the forehead at close range so obviously the last thing he would have seen would have been his killer! After the FEDs got done laughing they considered the request and sent the sheriff an 8x10 glossy pic of the LAST thing this victim would have seen: it was a "nose on" shot of a 38sp JHP.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

is it really that big of a deal?

In my mind if the hollowpoint fails to expand then it is hardball, if it does expand then voila. When it comes down to it you're punching holes in vitals either way it flies. jmo
    Culture cannot be inherited. The culture of previous ages will vanish unless each new generation wins it for itself again and again. Only that for which we have worked, or even suffered, truly belongs to us. - Zoltan Kodaly

VIP Member
    Nope! Corbon DPX 365 days a year!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by lacrosse50 View Post
    I don't vary. I'm comfortable with, and have trained with, my ammo of choice.

And just so I'm understanding this correctly, the fear is that if you use hollow point rounds they will fill with clothing material and fail to expand, yes? And no expansion = smaller wound channel = lessened stopping performance?
    Yes, and as I understood it, that's the point of the Hornady Critical Defense? I was shown that the little rubber ball is meant to keep the hollowpoint from clogging in that thick winter clothing. Is that not right?

We use the Golden Sabers in summer and flatnose FMJ during winter. Since we only have the minimal power of the LCP, max penetration is needed. We're using the Critical Defense rounds right now however for the reasons stated above...
    It is utterly illogical to believe that passing laws to reduce gun violence will be successful when those who are commiting the gun violence do not obey the law.

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by cass8171 View Post
    In my mind if the hollowpoint fails to expand then it is hardball, if it does expand then voila. When it comes down to it you're punching holes in vitals either way it flies. jmo
    Pretty much my thoughts. I doubt I'll be counting on one round to do the job anyway. Same ammo all year long for me. I know it hits to point of aim at any distances I have any business shooting. If the Carhartts and parkas worn around here plug it up, I'll give them a half-dozen more.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

I've changed in my primary 9mm to the 147gr Golden Sabers. Some ballistics reviews I have come across said that, on average the heavier rounds tend to penetrate 2 to 2 1/2" deeper than the 124gr and 115gr. I just figure that with the heavier clothing and layers, not to mention the "COM" ideal target location is pretty much surrounded by bone, that the extra penetration couldn't hurt. YMMV

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Exsoldier..

20 more to go.

I have had no problems with my Defender with the exception of the occasional straight back ejection. The defender is new and manufactured back in August of 09.

I have about 700 rounds through it using 230G FMJ and 185G JHP

Mike

best +p's I can get all year, for carry.

I'm actually in the process of switching guns for that very reason. I'm going from a G26 with Federal HSTs (124 gr +Ps) to a G27 with Federal HSTs (180 grain). Part of my logic also has to do with recent shootings ... both the LEOs in Washington state and the crazy Muslim at Ft. Hood. I've never been able to find out precisely what guns/ammo were used in those shootings, but I suspect 9mm ball ammo didn't do the job at Ft. Hood and the bad guy killed the officers with a .40 or .45. Just wish I knew for sure.

Meantime, I've found the G27 to be plenty accurate, excellent on double taps and very reliable with the 180 grains hollow points and 165-180 ball ammo that I shoot in IPSC meets.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy - Tom Waits

South Texas,when winter hits I put on long jeans and a long sleeve shirt,maybe a sweatshirt if it gets below 60
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Wink Yup!

Quote Originally Posted by 9mm10mmamen View Post
    I'm actually in the process of switching guns for that very reason. I'm going from a G26 with Federal HSTs (124 gr +Ps) to a G27 with Federal HSTs (180 grain). Part of my logic also has to do with recent shootings ... both the LEOs in Washington state and the crazy Muslim at Ft. Hood. I've never been able to find out precisely what guns/ammo were used in those shootings, but I suspect 9mm ball ammo didn't do the job at Ft. Hood and the bad guy killed the officers with a .40 or .45. Just wish I knew for sure.

Meantime, I've found the G27 to be plenty accurate, excellent on double taps and very reliable with the 180 grains hollow points and 165-180 ball ammo that I shoot in IPSC meets.
    I carried a Glock M27 for years and used it plenty in IDPA. Funny thing, I discovered the ever present muzzle whip is still present in the Glock 27 just as it is in the Glock 23 but I don't notice it at all in an IDPA match. But take myself to the range and shoot static targets? Sheeeeeeeeesh! I'm all quiver and flutter from the twitch it induced. But under match conditions, nada. I think it must be like that line from Butch Cassidy and the Sun Dance Kid: "Can I move? I'm BETTER when I move."

Still, I sold the little 27 a few years ago. It was the only 40 I had and I was into streamlining my ammo supplies for bulk purchases down to strictly 9mm and 45acp. I have just enough 38sp for the M642 for occasional carry. But I don't "stockpile" any 38 beyond a couple hundred rounds. My 45 and nine mill number in the thousands. I also fairly recently bought a S&W XVR 460 and I have laid in a fairly significant amount of 454 Casull and 460 loads. Probably far more than I'll ever need. I think I now have about 500rds total of them. I always wanted a handgun that would drop a T-Rex or a Sasquatch in it's tracks.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links