Does your ammo change with the weather?

This is a discussion on Does your ammo change with the weather? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was thinking today about how in the winter, people wear thicker and heavier clothing. As I thought about that I decided to replace the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I was thinking today about how in the winter, people wear thicker and heavier clothing. As I thought about that I decided to replace the ammo in my CCW from Hornady Critical Defense to a deeper penetrating round, the Winchester PDX1.

Hornady designed the Critical Defense for everyday carry by the CCW citizen who does not need to penetrate auto glass and walls, but clothing and have superior expansion. But in the winter it seems necessary to have the extra oomf of a deeper penetrating round for the thick winter coats the BGs wear.

Anyone else do this?

Florida winter pretty much just adds a sweatshirt... so luckily I don't have the problem of having to penetrate extra layers of clothing.

Interesting idea though.
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

That would make sense for our folks up north .

I will run the hornady year long in the 442

VIP Member
    I don't change mine, Speer GoldDot Hollow Point in .45acp 200+P year round.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

I'm about as far north as you can get and stay in the U.S. In the winter here I use Cor-Bon DPX+P 45acp. These rounds are just plain nasty, and expensive.
    Randy
    Law Enforcement Armorer
    NRA
    GOA
    Range Officer
    Advice is seldom welcome; and those who want it the most always like it the least.

I really like the DPXs, but just can't find them. When I did get some in the past they were expensive.

VIP Member
    I carry the same ammo year round. Federal .38 spcl Nyclads in my chiefs special, Corbon DPX in my .357 magnum, and Corbon DPX in my P239 .40.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar

Hadn't thought about it

I hadn't thought about that. I am going to make sure I consider that as well. And as I'm sure you know, be sure you are familiar with how the different ammo shoots in your CCW.
    Walk softly ...

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    I don't vary. I'm comfortable with, and have trained with, my ammo of choice.

And just so I'm understanding this correctly, the fear is that if you use hollow point rounds they will fill with clothing material and fail to expand, yes? And no expansion = smaller wound channel = lessened stopping performance?
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

I'm with Randy up here in MN. I know many guys up here who have winter ammo and summer ammo for the exact reasons noted by the OP. I'm sure there's some performance degrade with extra layers, but not enough to make a decent SD round ineffective. I don't switch. I figure if I'm already carrying ammo that does well in barrier tests, like windshields, the extra clothing isn't going to matter. At least not to the degree that would cause me to change ammo. My .45 ACP will maybe expand to .59 instead of .80. Still enough to get the job done. That, and I regularly practice failure to neutralize drills. If the double tap CoM to the chest doesn't do the trick, the next one is a shot to the head. No extra clothing there!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gdm320 View Post
    Florida winter pretty much just adds a sweatshirt... so luckily I don't have the problem of having to penetrate extra layers of clothing.

Interesting idea though.
    Pretty much the same thing here in SE Texas...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

I don't change my ammo depending upon the weather. I select an ammo that will meet the conditions I am likely to find myself in and run with that year 'round.

I'd much rather spend my time practicing than selecting/testing ammo. If I change my ammo, that means I have to "dial in" the sights for that new load. No thanks, I know where my bullets are going with the ammo I have chosen. That's all I need.

Biker

I'll be sticking with my Winchester Ranger bonded 180 gr.
    He said to them, "But now let the one who has a moneybag take it, and likewise a knapsack. And let the one who has no sword sell his cloak and buy one."

- Luke 22:36 (ESV)

Senior Member Array xsigma40cal's Avatar
    It doesnt matter which season it is. the main problem with hollowpoints is that they dont expand the way they are suppose to when penetrating through clothing. I got the same ammo you just mentioned and from what Ive heard,(dont quote me on this) this the standard ammo used by FBI, secret service etc. because its ability to pass clothing, glass, whatever. You should just carry that ammo full time.

Quote Originally Posted by gdm320 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post
    Pretty much the same thing here in SE Texas...
    What these guys said.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links