What is your everyday carry set-up? - Page 11

What is your everyday carry set-up?

This is a discussion on What is your everyday carry set-up? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Harryball Some of us think it is better to be prepared. Then being left out in the cold dead somewhere. Bronson had ...

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Some of us think it is better to be prepared. Then being left out in the cold dead somewhere. Bronson had a gun that would stop a mac truck. It all balances out in the end.
    I understand being prepared, that's why I have a CCW and carry A gun. The question was "your EVERYDAY carry set-up". So, your telling me that you are preparing for some kind of WAR in your everyday carry set-up, everyday? Again I ask you what kind of hell hole or high crime infested community do you live and work in to feel it necessary to pack or haul around all of this extra stuff EVERYDAY? And regardless of the caliber of Bronson's gun, he had A gun, not another in his pocket and another holstered to his ankle, two knives, a can of Mace, three extra magazines of ammo, handcuffs, or a Dick Tracy two way wrist radio, etc. What balances out, having a big imagination?

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    i guess you missed the point of this thread, and forum.
    You guess wrong. I get the point. I said it seems far out IMO. I guess you missed my point.

Quote Originally Posted by Bart View Post
    I understand being prepared, that's why I have a CCW and carry A gun. The question was "your EVERYDAY carry set-up". So, your telling me that you are preparing for some kind of WAR in your everyday carry set-up, everyday? Again I ask you what kind of hell hole or high crime infested community do you live and work in to feel it necessary to pack or haul around all of this extra stuff EVERYDAY? And regardless of the caliber of Bronson's gun, he had A gun, not another in his pocket and another holstered to his ankle, two knives, a can of Mace, three extra magazines of ammo, handcuffs, or a Dick Tracy two way wrist radio, etc. What balances out, having a big imagination?
    Wow...the level of naivety never ceases to amaze even in the firearms community. When you have more than one attacker on your hands feel free not to call any of us when you hear click instead of bang... Not to mention that whole adrenaline dump thing and maybe thinking you've only fired 2 rounds when in fact you've probably emptied the mag... You also have to look at the fact that not all of us carry full size glocks with 15-17rnd mags. Many of us carry a 1911 style pistol which at best gives us 8 rounds total.

As for the knives...you've either been sheltered or never been in a real life combat situation on the street, or just plain lucky. I've never once witnessed or been part of any sort of brawl that didn't end with someone on the ground and someone on top of them. Try getting to your gun then... Partly why I train for and carry an assisted opener in a low hanging carpenter pocket 99% of the time. I know I can get to my knife in that situation because I've trained for it. I also keep a knife for more than just self defense. I don't use my good SD knife for box cutter type chores so that requires I carry a different type of knife(typically a simple small swiss army knife in another pocket).

As for the mace comments, I don't carry it, but some feel it necessary to have a step in between 0 and 60. Kinda goes back to that concept of every problem looks like a nail if all you have is a hammer.

We're also seeing a huge rise and trend toward multiple attackers(3+) with home invasion style attacks. Good luck with your one gun and no reloads. Hope you have a 99% accuracy rate while under duress...

Oh and the sky comments previously... Where I grew up the sky was gray from smog during the day and orange at night from the street lights reflecting off the smog. And at night there were no sounds of crickets and happy melodies...only sirens, yelling, and shots...every night. Thankfully I got out and live in suburbia now, but the experiences don't just vanish, nor does the danger. We even have home invasions out here in suburbia...

BTW...how do you train for failure if you're firearm fails? Or have you even thought of this?
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by jimbofox View Post
    Not judging anyone, but I honestly don't see the point of carrying 2 of the same folding knife on you if you carry a gun.
    Simple one beater knife for opening boxes, cleaning fish and cutting
    miscellaneous objects etc. The newer never used SD knife is for opening...
    “Put your pain in a box. Lock it down. No man is stronger than one who can harness his emotions.” -Act of Valor

Again I ask you what kind of hell hole or high crime infested community do you live and work in
    I'd like to make another point.
    What is with the mentality that bad things only happen in "crime infested cities"? I'll posit that you're more likely to need a "bat belt" in more rural areas.
    Why?
    Because in rural "safe" areas, you're on your own. In the city, 911 response is often measured in minutes with multiple LEO units. In many rural areas, 911 (if you can even get a cell signal) response can be an hour or more and consist of a lone deputy or game warden.
    Bad guys are also much more likely to be emboldened and extra aggressive in rural areas where they know it's just you and them.
    Stumble across a guarded meth lab or pot farm in a secluded rural area and a 5 shot J-frame with a speed strip reload isn't very comforting.
    Last edited by JodyH; January 14th, 2010 at 10:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    I don't see how that applies to "two of the same knife" which is what I originally stated. If you've got one for SD and one as just a beater, I'd think they'd be different. If you've got one that dulls from excessive use you either a.) need to learn to sharpen a knife a lil better or b.) simply need a better knife. I'm all for people doing what they feel works for them, but I just think that's excessive. On top of that, if you are pulling a knife for SD and not a gun, I don't see the point of carrying a gun. I would think the charge is the exact same -- assault with a deadly weapon -- should the officer on site elect to arrest you. If you have to pull a knife for SD, your life better be in danger or you are going to jail, period. Again, in which case, I'd rather pull my gun. I understand you can't always get to your gun, but having one knife on you covers that outside chance IMO. Again, I'm not telling anyone what to or not to carry. I'm merely disagreeing with an opinion that's been stated in all due respect.

Why two of the same knife?
    Every time you open your "work" knife, open it like you need it RIGHT NOW. This gives you multiple practice "draws" every day on a knife identical to your self defense knife. Much like going to the range and doing draws with your pistol. Inertia opening a knife is also very hard on the pivots and lock mechanisms, better to have a dedicated practice/work knife and save your good knife for serious business.
    Repetition makes perfect.
    Also, it'd suck to be cutting boxes open all day, end up with a dull knife and have to actually rely on your dull knife for self defense when you come up against a crazy biker with a heavy leather jacket on.

Why a knife when you already have a gun?
    I carry my self defense knife on my weak side. That way if my primary hand is occupied with a handful of badguy I still have something to defend myself with.
    A knife on your weak side is also a good defense for attempted gun grabs. While jamming you pistol down in your holster with your primary hand, draw your weak side knife and carve the badguy away from your pistol.

VIP Member
    "Why a knife when you already have a gun?"

Because there are places I'm NOT allowed to carry a gun, but I still have a knife or knives.......I spend a lot of time on Federal property including military bases & government buildings, where a gun is a no no, but I still have alternate means to defend myself.....
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    "Why a knife when you already have a gun?"

Because there are places I'm NOT allowed to carry a gun, but I still have a knife or knives.......I spend a lot of time on Federal property including military bases & government buildings, where a gun is a no no, but I still have alternate means to defend myself.....
    Guys, I really don't think anyone here is actually reading what i am saying so I'm gonna spell it out as clear as I can. I carry a knife daily. I have for over a decade. I have not argued that carrying a knife *and* a gun is a bad idea--especially since that's exactly what I do. The only thing I have argued here is I think carrying two of the same knife (one in each front pocket) is a bit excessive. If you have your gun on one side and knife on weak side, then I don't see the need of carrying two knives. As to the box cutting/SD argument ---again, you need a better knife. If your knife is so dull after cutting up some boxes that you couldn't penetrate human flesh with it, either you are horrible at keeping the edge on your blade with a good sharpener (I use a lansky pro kit) or your knife simply sucks. I have nothing at all against the carry of a knife for either daily chores or SD. I am 100% for both of those things. I simply think the whole twin blades in opposing pockets is a bit much. I see it as the same as a western movie where the gunfighter has a gun on each hip. That almost never happened in the old west for obvious reasons --- it was completely impractical. If you really feel you gotta double up and do a blade in each pocket (again, please let this sink in this time--THE SAME EXACT KNIFE ONE IN EACH POCKET) then rock on. I simply have yet to hear a single suggested situation where that would be necessary, practical, or sensible. Everyone keeps saying the same thing not addressing my original statement whatsoever. I'm honestly not trying to be a jerk here but it's like the issue keeps getting tap-danced around. That being said, I'm doing a bit of that myself as this is supposed to be the "show me your EDC" thread so I apologize for a bit of a thread hijack.

For Reference.... My EDC from a few pages back.

I see. But on that same token, why not carry a knife on one side and gun on the other? Personally I put em both in the same category as far as reason for pulling on someone --your life is in immediate danger.
    It looks more like some people are going off to war instead of CC for everyday activities. I have to ask, what kind of hell hole or high crime infested community do you people who pack or haul around all this stuff live and work in? Even Bronson didn't weight himself down like some do here in all of his Death Wish movies put together. I can understand if you're a LEO, otherwise, no offense intended, it seems far out. IMO
    I carry two identical knives, one flashlight, and a gun in a high quality IWB holster on a Gun Belt. Knives and flashlight go in my front pockets with the light on the weak side. I've carried every day like this for a few years now, usually concealing it all with little more than a T-shirt. It's not hard.

Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    This is why I carry two knives. They just happen to be identical.

I don't see how that applies to "two of the same knife" which is what I originally stated. If you've got one for SD and one as just a beater, I'd think they'd be different. If you've got one that dulls from excessive use you either a.) need to learn to sharpen a knife a lil better or b.) simply need a better knife. I'm all for people doing what they feel works for them, but I just think that's excessive. On top of that, if you are pulling a knife for SD and not a gun, I don't see the point of carrying a gun. I would think the charge is the exact same -- assault with a deadly weapon -- should the officer on site elect to arrest you. If you have to pull a knife for SD, your life better be in danger or you are going to jail, period. Again, in which case, I'd rather pull my gun. I understand you can't always get to your gun, but having one knife on you covers that outside chance IMO. Again, I'm not telling anyone what to or not to carry. I'm merely disagreeing with an opinion that's been stated in all due respect.
    Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Why two of the same knife?
    Every time you open your "work" knife, open it like you need it RIGHT NOW. This gives you multiple practice "draws" every day on a knife identical to your self defense knife. Much like going to the range and doing draws with your pistol. Inertia opening a knife is also very hard on the pivots and lock mechanisms, better to have a dedicated practice/work knife and save your good knife for serious business.
    Repetition makes perfect.
    Also, it'd suck to be cutting boxes open all day, end up with a dull knife and have to actually rely on your dull knife for self defense when you come up against a crazy biker with a heavy leather jacket on.
    This is WHY they're identical.

Why a knife when you already have a gun?
    I carry my self defense knife on my weak side. That way if my primary hand is occupied with a handful of badguy I still have something to defend myself with.
    A knife on your weak side is also a good defense for attempted gun grabs. While jamming you pistol down in your holster with your primary hand, draw your weak side knife and carve the badguy away from your pistol.
    +1 I couldn't have said this better myself. So I won't :)
    Mindset - Tactics - Skills - Equipment
    http://www.ingunowners.com
    W9ZEB dot Org

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    Wow...the level of naivety never ceases to amaze even in the firearms community.
    It's the level of paranoia that never ceases to amaze me, ESPECIALLY in the firearms community. Add a wild imagination and a CCW permit to that paranoia...SCARY!
    Last edited by Bart; January 16th, 2010 at 04:37 AM.

[QUOTE=Bart;1453362]
    Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    Wow...the level of naivety never ceases to amaze even in the firearms community.

It's the level of paranoia that never ceases to amaze me, ESPECIALLY in the firearms community. Add a wild imagination and a CCW permit to that paranoia...SCARY!
    Not paranoied prepared. And to the OP I carry a Glock 19 pepper spray and a few knives.
    Live in yellow or die in white.

or your knife simply sucks.
    Show some respect. That's the mighty Benchmade mini griptilian in OD green and D2 steel!!!! :)
    You seemed to approve of my knife in your earlier post.

Why do you care what someone else chooses to carry?
    Why do you care about it enough to actually post about what someone else carries?
    Myself, I tend to mind my own business and let free men lives their lives the way they want.

You seemed to approve of my knife in your earlier post.

Why do you care what someone else chooses to carry?
    Why do you care about it enough to actually post about what someone else carries?
    Myself, I tend to mind my own business and let free men lives their lives the way they want.
    You took both statements completely out of context, completely missed the part where I stated very clearly why I was asking about the two knives (simple curiosity) and are getting defensive about someone else stating a simple differing opinion. This thread has been hijacked enough by all of us I think so how much either of us disagree at this point is irrelevant. Bring on more EDC pics!!!!

Furthermore, I apologize if anyone got upset by my remarks. I was honestly just trying to understand where you all were coming from on that one as I found it so puzzling. Like I've said several times, if it works for you, then damn what I or anyone else thinks. cheers!

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Links