Defensive Carry banner

What is your everyday carry set-up?

45K views 183 replies 90 participants last post by  JXONE 
#1 ·
Ok folks, let's see some of those EDCs. This is mine:

Springfield XD-9 SC in a Blackhawk Serpa holster, 16 round spare magazine, Buck Strider folding knife, Sure Fire G2 LED flashlight, and the most important tool...my cell phone.

See less See more
#73 ·
really depends on the day and what job I might be doing.... but here is the most used

now you might wonder why I showed a gerber pouch and then the Gerber.. well the Gerber is always in my cargo pocket, and well the pouch is an easy way to carry an extra mag in plane sight when tucked..

I thought about starting a new thread about unique ways to carry mags or what ever.

#74 ·
Bark'n guessing

"I'm guessing you've never been in a violent encounter from a stranger on
the street intending to do damage or in a fight for your life before."

-------------------------------------------
The fact that you guess wrong is no worse than your unfounded guessing.

Now my guess is that you have never depended on deep concealment of a
gun in hot weather without props, or indoors without a jacket or enclosure.

That can work with a p3AT or LCP, but not so well with a 9mm.

#75 ·
Now my guess is that you have never depended on deep concealment of a
gun in hot weather without props, or indoors without a jacket or enclosure.

That can work with a p3AT or LCP, but not so well with a 9mm.
I conceal a minimum of a 9mm in the hot, humid deep South every day. Generally, a .45ACP, however. Shorts and a t-shirt, with no problem. The right pistol combined with the right belt and the right holster = a serious combat pistol even in 90 degree + weather and humidity.
Gonzo

#89 ·
Everyday carry

Both these pistols constitute almost ideal carry guns, they are very compact, high capacity and easy to hide.
Firearms: either a KT P-111 or Taurus Mill.Pro., both 9mm
Ammunition: Winchester Supreme Elite +P JHP
Holsters: for Keltec - Ross belt slide in black leather or Horseshoe Leather custom pancake in tan. For Taurus - Crossbreed IWB or custom tan pancake from HBE Specialty Leatherworks. Galco Miami Classic in tan available for both weapons with horizontal mag pouches on off-side. Otherwise a half-harness setup with Taskforce LED 65 lumens flashlight held in an off-side tie-down.
Additional mag in Galco horizontal mag carrier, SOB carry.
Backup: Benchmade 10536BP Instigator - inverted ankle carry with velcro straps. Ideal defensive knife for striking soft targets.

#95 ·
Spray?

What's with all of you guys carrying spray? Can you give me one instance that you would pull your spray and not your knife or your gun? This escalation of force BS is going to get someone killed. When in doubt pull your gun. It doesn't mean you have to use it, just be ready to. Spray is for women that are afraid to carry guns. Besides, you are already carrying one less than lethal tool by carrying your tactical light.

#96 ·
What's with all of you guys carrying spray? Can you give me one instance that you would pull your spray and not your knife or your gun? This escalation of force BS is going to get someone killed. When in doubt pull your gun. It doesn't mean you have to use it, just be ready to. Spray is for women that are afraid to carry guns. Besides, you are already carrying one less than lethal tool by carrying your tactical light.
wow ok... guess it depends on your state laws... some have the law if you pull the gun you are held to more laws then I care to look up. you could very well go to jail for brandishing a weapon.

or here is one.. stray dog coming at you.. down town park. how do you think that will go over with the media if you start shooting.
yes it COULD be a life threatening thing, yes you MIGHT be justified, but I will Garendamtee you there will be media coverage of it. but why not just spray the dog and be done? (alot less paper work and issues)

I guess to each there own, I think as many options as you can have available to you is the best in any possible issue... first being just leave the area before escalation, then what ever "tool" happens to be the best option for the threat at hand.

#102 ·
Wow!

There are some mighty touchy people on this forum. You guys aren't getting the point I am trying to make. The more choices you give yourself, the more bad decisions you may make. Keep it simple.

My agency is a federal agency and I will keep it at that. Not an insurance agency Mr. Comedian.

Do I carry less lethal? Yes, at work I carry the X26. I don't carry spray because I don't want to be cross contaminated after I have to go hands on with the dirtbag. I know what my reaction to the stuff is, maybe something that you people that are carrying it ought to think about.

I'm not trying to push anyone's buttons intentionally. Especially the female sex. Perhaps my wording was poor and I apologize.

Perhaps some of you guys that were particularly harsh on my comment might want to get some proper use of force training. You might be surprised when you find out that it is LEGAL to DEFEND YOURSELF. Instead of walking around like Batman with your utility belts, you should keep it to a gun, knife, and tactical flashlight. That way when you're confronted your not worrying about whether you should use your nunchuks, bo staff, or throwing stars.

Take care.

#103 ·
There are some mighty touchy people on this forum. You guys aren't getting the point I am trying to make. The more choices you give yourself, the more bad decisions you may make. Keep it simple.

My agency is a federal agency and I will keep it at that. Not an insurance agency Mr. Comedian.

Do I carry less lethal? Yes, at work I carry the X26. I don't carry spray because I don't want to be cross contaminated after I have to go hands on with the dirtbag. I know what my reaction to the stuff is, maybe something that you people that are carrying it ought to think about.

I'm not trying to push anyone's buttons intentionally. Especially the female sex. Perhaps my wording was poor and I apologize.

Perhaps some of you guys that were particularly harsh on my comment might want to get some proper use of force training. You might be surprised when you find out that it is LEGAL to DEFEND YOURSELF. Instead of walking around like Batman with your utility belts, you should keep it to a gun, knife, and tactical flashlight. That way when you're confronted your not worrying about whether you should use your nunchuks, bo staff, or throwing stars.

Take care.
you (wrongly) assume you're addressing a bunch of noobs. many here are LEO with years of duty under their belts, others, like myself, are average citizens who took YEARS of hand to hand training, and weapons training, both firearm and non-firearm.

i have personal experience with OC myself. i tested 3 brands on myself to see which one i'd trust my (ex)girlfriend to carry. you know, one of those fearful women you spoke of. Fox Labs Mean Green was my final choice. i don't know if it'd work on someone whacked out on meth, i know it'd be hell for the average guy. i had a wisdom tooth pulled with no anesthetic, so believe me when i say my pain threshold is high. i don't want to be sprayed with the Fox Labs again.

once again you stooped to insults, insinuating that many here are 'mall ninjas', talking about shuriken and nunchuks. i will once again advise you to write less and read more, at least for the next few weeks. get a feel for this forum; try and learn something. there is a level of decorum that is expected from members here. we all slip up, but generally, most here try and stick to it. you've already made cutting remarks to members twice in one day in the same thread. what do you hope to accomplish?

write less, read more. learn something. then, after awhile, you can contribute in an appropriate manner, when you figure out how.

good day to you, sir.

#106 ·
Spray?

Perhaps oldhickory61 should read my thread Accosted by another motorist-AAR." One thing I really wish that I had had on me was OC. I would have most likely drawn it, maybe employed it even. I had a large gap in my force continuum which has been rectified. I work for a state agency, am certified in OC plus other LTL options. Have been Z sprayed with OC, gone hands on with the sprayee, fought the cross contamination, cuffed them, and cussed the atomization of OC when you employ it. Now I carry foam, which has the lowest cross contamination, but is able to be flung back at you if the accoster is experienced with foam OC, most are incapacitated by it. There is no perfect solution, but you carry what gives you the best options. "More options makes more chances for mistakes"? True if you do not TRAIN with your options. All the way from shooting your weapons frequently to mental war gaming. How often do you think through scenarios as part of your training? If he does this, I'll do that? What about stress inoculation? Have you done stress inoculation? And I'll not even go into the weak woman thing. Thats a minefield you couldn't pay me enough to look at let alone enter!:argue::rofl:

#108 ·
Gonzo, You are forgetting one thing. At work I have to put someone into custody. Therefore, a less lethal tool may sometimes be needed to subdue an unarmed suspect. Off duty, pulling a firearm will allow you to either walk away, stop the threat, call 911, etc.

"Why bother with a pesky taser" - Because it's an excellent tool when you need to get cuffs on an uncooperating individual.

#115 ·
No, I have not forgotten it, as I deal with the same thing every day. Howver, while a private citizen may not have the need to take someone into custody, they very well may have the need to defend themself with a level of force that does not rise to "pulling their gun". I carry some sort of cuffs off-duty at all times, but I'm not out activly looking to lock people up. I'm just not willing to sacrifice one of the tools I have at my disposal just because I am no longer on the clock.
Gonzo

#110 ·
Stormtruck2,
Thanks for bringing up "force continuum". That is the point that I was trying to make in my original post. FLETC is no longer teaching a force continuum and many state and local agencies are following suit. The reason? The same reason I brought up earlier. Having too many choices causes an officer to hesitate. A person should not have to second guess their actions when defending themselves or someone else. That is why I said, "This escalation of force BS is going to get someone killed."

#116 ·
And I was one of the most vocal proponents for getting it removed from the program. The old "pyramid" is horrible. However, FLETC has certainly not said, "Get rid of all your less then lethal options. They are for women who are afraid of guns. If you think there is a problem, just whip out your gat and start flap-blasting until all the scumbags are dead.". I cannot fathom how a single less-lethal alternative (pepper spray) constitutes "too many choices" for an armed private citizen. I have never heard or read of an instant where an armed citizen was killed because they chose to use pepper spray (or something similar) instead of a firearm in their possession. Has it happened? Perhaps, but it did not get much attention if it did. A person who is truly interested in defending their life on a daily basis should take advantage of every tool at their disposal, whether they carry a badge or not. I believe close-mindedness when it comes to tactics and survival are far more likely to "get somebody killed" than carrying pepper-spray. Do I carry pepper spray every day (on or off duty)? No. But I am not going to belittle and insult somebody who chooses to exercise that option.

You and I (and most any LEO), rightly or wrongly, have an added level of legal protection afforded by our badge. If we end up clearing leather and then put it away, the odds are that we are not going to be criminally charged for it (barring some actual criminal intent or malfeasance). In many states, private citizens don't have that luxury. If they show a gun, it had better be the absolute late resort or else they will end up facing criminal charges. They can't just "pull it", stand down the threat, and then walk away like nothing happened. For the average private citizen, drawing a firearm is a very, very different experience than it is for a LEO. Look back at your career and consider how many times you have drawn your weapon or even held somebody at gunpoint. If you have been in this game a while, it is probably more times than you cna remember. Now, ask a well-trained, armed, survival conscious private citizen the same question. Even if he lives in the roughest of neighborhoods, the answer is probably "never". A different world.
Just my opinion,
Gonzo

#113 ·
My Surefire E2DL and Lg. Sebenza are with me 24/7.

Summer/Tucked In: Glock 27 w/ 165 gr. GDHP
Milt Sparks VM2 w/ Tuckable Clips

Summer/Untucked: Glock 23 w/ 165 gr. GDHP
Milt Sparks Executive Companion

When Wearing Jacket: Glock 23 w/ 165 gr. GDHP
Ken Null GSS

On Duty: Glock 22 w/ 165 gr. GDHP (I like this load, in case you couldn't tell.)
Surefire X200 Attached
Dan Hillsman Holster
Glock 27 w/ 165 gr. GDHP
Ken Null Ankle Rig
Taser X26

Null is by far my favorite leather, but Sparks' metal reinforcement puts their IWB's in a class of their own. Worth the wait and money, I promise!! And, if you noticed, I don't carry spray.

#118 ·
On Duty: Glock 22 w/ 165 gr. GDHP (I like this load, in case you couldn't tell.)...snip......Null is by far my favorite leather, but Sparks' metal reinforcement puts their IWB's in a class of their own. Worth the wait and money, I promise!! And, if you noticed, I don't carry spray.
Oldhickory61,
I certainly can't disagree with you on your choice of ammunition. I am extremely fond of the 165-grain GDHP and use it in my Sig P239 and S&W M&P .40 Compact. It is especially accurate from the P239 and I really like the ballistics.

Null and Sparks are both nice leather, and I especially like Sparks. However, my addiction to Matt DelFatti's work will simply not go away. It is like leather crack...only more expensive.
Gonzo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.