Defensive Carry banner

What is your everyday carry set-up?

45K views 183 replies 90 participants last post by  JXONE 
#1 ·
Ok folks, let's see some of those EDCs. This is mine:

Springfield XD-9 SC in a Blackhawk Serpa holster, 16 round spare magazine, Buck Strider folding knife, Sure Fire G2 LED flashlight, and the most important tool...my cell phone.

See less See more
#117 ·
I won't post pic's due to multiple setups....
1) If close to home and I know I'm not going to be knowingly going into any bad area's or unknown area's I wear a Sig 9mm P6 with a Mernickle Custom Cross Draw leather holster/Little Bear leather belt,( the best leather gun belt I ever purchased bar none)
2) If I know I'm going to be traveling into places I never been before,or a bad part of town,or I just have a bad feeling that day,My SA 1911 goes on! BlackHills Custom Leather Cross Draw 3) Whatever sidearm that is chosen is usually backed up with my Taurus ultalite 38spl!I have 2 inexpensive holsters for the .38,one is an Elite nylon owb I wear 4 o'clock, if there's going to be alot of driving involved I have a cheap nylon shoulder holster for it.

I also carry the following with my pistols: Cell Phone,Spare Mags,& a Lite
My mag pouch for my .45 is vertically mounted made to match my holster and belt,by Blk Hills Leather.My 9mm pouch was made by Little Bear,Horizontally mounted. I wanted to try both to see which was Tactically superior for me. I find I like the Vertical mounted mag holder much better,that's just my opinion.
Depending on dress code depends on if I need a phone case on my belt,usually I don't need one,but I do have one if needed.I do have a expandable nylon lite case with a pivitol clip for my belt that I do wear if I'm going to be out in low light.Even with night sights everyone should carry a flashlight if there going to be out at night with a gun.I hate feeling like freaking batman but being a Vet it was just every day routine that became habit forming "be prepared,leave nothing to chance"Remember you are the Weapon! the more tools you have,the more devasting a weapon you'll be!
You all have a happy and safe New year!

#119 ·
Exactly, Gonzo. My primary issue with what was said is that brandishing a weapon is okay. Common sense says yes, it will probably work, but the law (in many states) says you are violating the law by doing that very thing...

oldhickory61, I am a huge fan of the KISS principle, hence the reason I carry so little. Hell, I even used to be an OC spray instructor and I don't carry the stuff very often, if at all. I have the luxury of having hand to hand training, and feel comfortable not carrying OC away from work, but many people don't have that particular luxury.

Everybody has their own views on the use of force continuum, and people are right for questioning it; telling people that it's okay to possibly violate the law and brandish a weapon is not.

#120 ·
Gonzo,

Did I say, "Get rid of all your less then lethal options. They are for women who are afraid of guns. If you think there is a problem, just whip out your gat and start flap-blasting until all the scumbags are dead." I'm pretty sure that I did NOT. I did mention the "women" part and apologized in a later post for my poor choice of words. If you're going to quote my post, I would appreciate you leaving it in context. If civilians want to carry multiple less lethal, that's their perogative. I'm just saying that I don't see the point. I'm using my training and my experience to offer advice. And all my training and experience has been about avoiding hestitation out of fear of possible repercussions. As a use of force instructor I'm sure you've seen all of those dash cam videos of officer's saying, "Stop or I'll shoot" 1000 times. Or officers using spray on someone with a knife. Perhaps you should spend your time making sure those individuals are properly trained instead of sharp-shooting my posts.

Take care.

#122 ·
Of course you did not actually say that and I thought the sarcasm was obvious. I was simply trying to make a point. I simply felt, as a trainer, that your advice was more harmful than helpful. And you did, indeed, apologize for your choice of words. I'm genuinely sorry I overlooked that. :embarassed:

That being said, I do as much as I possibly can to make sure my guys/gals are properly trained in where/where/how/why (so far, spending a few minutes on your post has not taken me away from that too terribly much). And will continue to do so. However, that training will also include my urging that they have every possible tool at their disposal along with the training and decision making capabilities to determine which tool to use. And I think those options, and that training, are just as important for the armed civilian as they are for a LEO.

Sorry if it seemed I zoned in on you, but I have to admit I thought your first post on the subject was way out of line as well as innacurate. I realize we have to agree to disagee on opinions, but I do sincerely apologize for missing your apology for the way you stated it. I need to slow my roll on the keyboard for that one. I do agree with you 100% that hesitation kills. Period. If you are going to carry something...anything...train and train hard on when, where, and how to use it.
Gonzo

#125 ·
gonzo and oldhick, it's really too bad that you are having the use of force continuum discussion in this thread. it is really a hijack of the thread, but more importantly, it buries a valuable discussion in a non-obvious place. I'm creating a separate thread "OC and the Use of Force Continuum."

#127 ·
If going out of the house for a while, I carry A S&W M&P .40c in a Bare Asset Holster. If just running aroung the neighborhood, A Ruger SR9 in a Blackhawk Serpa. I use these because I HATE A belt.

#128 ·
edc stuff.........

not pictured:
bandanna
wallet
phone

Attachments

#130 ·
(1) SIG P239 .40S&W in a (2) Minotaur MTAC, (3) Comp-Tac single mag holster w/spare magazine, (4) CRKT M16-10K knife, (5) BlackBerry 9630 Tour.

Belt is a Wilderness Tactical Instructor Belt (1.5", not pictured). Ammo is Federal Ammunition HydraShok... but I'm thinking of moving to Corbon DPX.

Attachments

#131 · (Edited)
EDC: Today, Glock 19 in a kydex IWB, CS 6" voyager, Sog Aegis, Spyderco Delica 4, Wallet, hanky, Bandanna, Phone, Boker edit in my jacket pocket, surefire 6p/g2 can't remember exactly, Sog multi tool, winchester mini multi tool (scissors, nail clippers, etc) lighter, small set keys

It changes a bit day to day. I am perfecting it. I also carry a Kel Tec p3at in place of 19. I am still working on it. I like the knife set up

Force Continum: OC is a nice choice IMO, I am a leo, a martial arts instructor, and I live in the country and realize the threat of strays. I would prefer a stick off duty but haven't found a logical way to do so. I have to say that I do not want to cut or shoot anyone, if I have to I will. It's easier to wristlock, sweep, strike, kick, etc than to shoot someone. It makes for an easier story and less on your nugget to deal with, " yes daughter, I have been in a confrontation on the street, I used a thai kick to his leg when he put his hands up and goosenecked him til LEO arrived."

or

"Yes daughter, I was in a confrontation on the street, I busted his ass with a glock, I'll see you at visitation next week, I love you.".....CLANG!!!

(AASD steps off his soap box)

#132 ·
Glock 19 in a Comp-Tac MTAC @ 3:30
SureFire E2D in left rear pocket
Kershaw Composite JunkYard Dog II folder in each front pocket.
Two spare magazines in the primary laptop bag. Two more in the Netbook bag.

I only have 3 kinds of pants. Makes carrying the above pretty easy.
5.11 Pants (no idea the model) / LA Police Gear Operator Pants / and Duluth Trading Company Firehose Pants. (all of the above have about fourteen thousand pockets and will out live me:) )

#133 ·
Any HK'ers out there?

I'm a little surprised (but not really) that I havn't seen anyone in this thread carrying any sort of HK yet! I can understand where the bulk and cost turns some away - (as compared to other alternatives). I got a screamin deal on mine and it rides nicely in my supertuck. I can wear it all day and hardly notice its there. I REALLY have the 1911 fever and will certainly be saving for one, but I don't anticipate carrying a full size 1911 daily. So far so good with the HK.:bier:

#137 ·
Here it is....

Ruger SR9 with Fobus paddle holster
Keys
Blackberry
Benchmade Mini-Griptilian Cabela's Edition (D2 steel)
Maxpedition Micro Wallet
Maxpediton M2 Waistpack -- holds blackberry, twist pen, Streamlight Stylus Pro flashlight and pad of paper/miscellaneous
Maxpediton Fatboy Versipack -- holds camera, Fenix PD30 flashlight, Leatherman LGX200 flashlight, Flip Ultra, mini first aid kit, towel pills, MacGuyver Edition Swiss Army knife, extra pen, black sharpie, hand crank USB/phone charger, chapstick, usb data cable, backup phone battery, USB drive, Benchmade mini barrage, knife tool, 30GB Zune, Hand lotion, sunglasses.

Yes, I am an OD Green fanatic.

#138 ·
Not judging anyone, but I honestly don't see the point of carrying 2 of the same folding knife on you if you carry a gun. Obviously, carrying 2 knives (one in each pocket) would be for self defense purposes. So, you'd pull 2 knives (intended lethal force I'd say) instead of pulling a gun? Honestly, not being sarcastic, more simple curiosity. No harshness intended. Cheers.

#139 ·
jimbofox,

My reasoning for carrying two knives is just based on being able to get to one of them if the other sides hand/arm is busy doing something else.

#142 ·
Glock 17 in a Kramer #3 horsehide (3:30 IWB)
Kahr P380 in a K&D pocket holster (right front pocket)
DeSantis Magpacker w/ 17 round Glock mag (not pictured, left rear pocket, not carried every day)
Surefire E1E-LED, Benchmade Pardue folder (left front pocket along with my Blackberry)
Rafter S black sharkskin belt to hold everything up

#146 ·
Glock 17 in a Kramer #3 horsehide (3:30 IWB)
Kahr P380 in a K&D pocket holster (right front pocket)
DeSantis Magpacker w/ 17 round Glock mag (not pictured, left rear pocket, not carried every day)
Surefire E1E-LED, Benchmade Pardue folder (left front pocket along with my Blackberry)
Rafter S black sharkskin belt to hold everything up
Show some respect. That's the mighty Benchmade mini griptilian in OD green and D2 steel!!!! :)

#143 ·
It looks more like some people are going off to war instead of CC for everyday activities. I have to ask, what kind of hell hole or high crime infested community do you people who pack or haul around all this stuff live and work in? Even Bronson didn't weight himself down like some do here in all of his Death Wish movies put together. I can understand if you're a LEO, otherwise, no offense intended, it seems far out. IMO

#144 ·
Some of us think it is better to be prepared. Then being left out in the cold dead somewhere. Bronson had a gun that would stop a mac truck. It all balances out in the end. :wink::smile:

#150 ·
The last report that I read shows that home invasions are now being perpetrated by groups of 3 or more.

The BG's are getting organized down to even using body armor. In most cases they are now armed better than the average homeowner with a CCW.

While taking precautions of good dead bolt locks and better than average alarms in the home the chances of the average homeowner having to defend himself/herself is becoming more prevalent.

Having at least 4 magazines available is reasonable and prudent with good hollow point ammo designed to mushroom. FMJ is NOT recommended for SD as it will penetrate alot of typical home backstops.

You want to bring the BG down typically with 3 to 4 taps, not the neighbors down the street.

The one shot is a myth and very dangerous to train yourself into. If you have to fire your weapon in SD do so to totally bring down the BG.

To do anything else is to invite disaster.

#157 ·
Why two of the same knife?
Every time you open your "work" knife, open it like you need it RIGHT NOW. This gives you multiple practice "draws" every day on a knife identical to your self defense knife. Much like going to the range and doing draws with your pistol. Inertia opening a knife is also very hard on the pivots and lock mechanisms, better to have a dedicated practice/work knife and save your good knife for serious business.
Repetition makes perfect.
Also, it'd suck to be cutting boxes open all day, end up with a dull knife and have to actually rely on your dull knife for self defense when you come up against a crazy biker with a heavy leather jacket on.

Why a knife when you already have a gun?
I carry my self defense knife on my weak side. That way if my primary hand is occupied with a handful of badguy I still have something to defend myself with.
A knife on your weak side is also a good defense for attempted gun grabs. While jamming you pistol down in your holster with your primary hand, draw your weak side knife and carve the badguy away from your pistol.

#158 ·
"Why a knife when you already have a gun?"

Because there are places I'm NOT allowed to carry a gun, but I still have a knife or knives.......I spend a lot of time on Federal property including military bases & government buildings, where a gun is a no no, but I still have alternate means to defend myself.....

#159 ·
Guys, I really don't think anyone here is actually reading what i am saying so I'm gonna spell it out as clear as I can. I carry a knife daily. I have for over a decade. I have not argued that carrying a knife *and* a gun is a bad idea--especially since that's exactly what I do. The only thing I have argued here is I think carrying two of the same knife (one in each front pocket) is a bit excessive. If you have your gun on one side and knife on weak side, then I don't see the need of carrying two knives. As to the box cutting/SD argument ---again, you need a better knife. If your knife is so dull after cutting up some boxes that you couldn't penetrate human flesh with it, either you are horrible at keeping the edge on your blade with a good sharpener (I use a lansky pro kit) or your knife simply sucks. I have nothing at all against the carry of a knife for either daily chores or SD. I am 100% for both of those things. I simply think the whole twin blades in opposing pockets is a bit much. I see it as the same as a western movie where the gunfighter has a gun on each hip. That almost never happened in the old west for obvious reasons --- it was completely impractical. If you really feel you gotta double up and do a blade in each pocket (again, please let this sink in this time--THE SAME EXACT KNIFE ONE IN EACH POCKET) then rock on. I simply have yet to hear a single suggested situation where that would be necessary, practical, or sensible. Everyone keeps saying the same thing not addressing my original statement whatsoever. I'm honestly not trying to be a jerk here but it's like the issue keeps getting tap-danced around. That being said, I'm doing a bit of that myself as this is supposed to be the "show me your EDC" thread so I apologize for a bit of a thread hijack.

#165 ·
Furthermore, I apologize if anyone got upset by my remarks. I was honestly just trying to understand where you all were coming from on that one as I found it so puzzling. Like I've said several times, if it works for you, then damn what I or anyone else thinks. cheers!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.