Defensive Carry banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

I went to Jared's...then left

10K views 77 replies 44 participants last post by  HotGuns 
#1 ·
Here's a letter I sent to Jared Jewelers via their website...feel free to fill up their in-box. :hand1:

I would like to share my "sales-prevention" experience with your company.

I was Christmas shopping today for my wife and I drove to your store at the Carriage Crossing shopping center in Collierville, TN. As I parked in front of your store I noticed a sign on the door prohibiting firearms from being carried in your store. After reading this notification, I left without entering. I felt it important to let you know as a lawful Tennessee Handgun Permit Holder, I respected your wishes and did not enter your store. You see, today, just like any other day, I was legally armed while I went about my day of shopping. I then drove to Kay Jewelers and purchased a diamond and sapphire ring for my wife.

As long as it is your company policy to prohibit me from entering your store while exercising my right of self-protection, I will not shop at Jared's. I will also be sharing this negative experience with other like-minded handgun permit owners.

#50 ·
well for whats its worth, my wife and I went in there a while back just to look at their jewelry. i must admit that they were way over priced
compared to other jewelry stores anyway.

Not to mention that they treated my wife life crap, and we are well dressed and live a comfortable life. So P*ss on them.

#53 ·
If we are quiet, we can only expect more uneducated and misinformed retailers to follow suit. Fear guides them.
Let's all remember exactly what the 2nd amendment recognizes and protects: our God-given right to defend ourselves and our loved ones. The big picture is, even at a worst case scenario, four or five people lose their jobs, but the peoples' rights remain intact, just as the Founding Fathers designed.
I hear the government is hiring. Maybe those jewelers can get a job there.

#56 ·
Your logic is almost like give the Mafia money, so I can stay in business. If the store closes because there customers went away, they are doing something wrong. Our vote is the most important thing we can do. We just voted a pro 2ND amendment Governor and very pro 2ND amendment Attorney General. Watch for the changes in our CC laws to be posted here.

#57 ·
Again, you missed part of the point.

I did mention the individual who mentioned if I get injured during a robbery inside your store can I sue, there are legal ways partner that will have the same outcome without turning people away from what you want. The right to carry your gun into that store without signs.

Please don't skip read and say you got my logic, because you don't and you didn't obviously by not addressing all my points.

#60 ·
I just got back from returning my purchase. The customer service worker asked why I was returning it. I told her it was because off there policy on the front window. She didn't write that on the return receipt, she wrote " it didn't work". The present worked out good also, I found a much nicer piece of jewelry on ebay for less money and I didn't have to fight the crowd.

#63 ·
How is not shopping at a store that does not allow me to carry lawfully any different than what 'mothers against ____" do when they boycott a brand, or a picket line attempt to do against a store that will not play along with a union demand? Do workers for those brands or those stores not get involved in the fallout?? Are "mothers against _____" somehow more noble because their cause is 'just' or more socially accepted?
Economic force IS force. Against the policy makers in the way they most understand.

#64 ·
I use to have a pretty good income and I purchased jewelry from a small independent shop that has a master jeweler. His work is unbelievable! Still, I would visit Kay and find a heavy 14k gold men’s bracelets that were well made and priced way down! They had such purchasing leverage, nobody could beat them. I would buy the bracelet and then take it over to the custom shop and they melted it down to make whatever I wanted. I did the same thing during the Gulf War. In Saudi Arabia I could buy 21k gold dirt-cheap! Anyway, if Kay or Jared’s has the signs, then I’ll forego any purchase and buy elsewhere. BTW: If any of you guys have military privileges, you can buy jewelry on base at about 35-percent less than in town.
Regards,

#65 ·
Letter I sent to via Jared's website
I recently became aware of the below letter outlining Jared and Kay Jewelers anti civil rights policy. Quote
"Dear Doug,

I would like to respond to your e-mail concerning the Firearms/Weapons policy posted at our Carriage Crossing location.

Even though many states have laws permitting residents to carry concealed weapons and firearms, private employers have the right to ban weapons and prohibit persons with weapons from entering the premises. For the safety and security of our customers and store employees (Jared or Kay Jewelers) has made the decision to ban weapons and anyone possessing them from entering the store.

Sincerely,

Vicki Copus
Customer Care"
end quote

Trusting that Jared and Kay Jewelers corporate are sound rational people. They are fully aware of the fact that criminals do not obey laws or store policies. Just as Jared and Kay Jewelers know that their anti second amendment policy effects only law abiding citizens causing them to be unarmed defenseless prey to any vicious criminal. Fully aware that any thug knowing Jared and Kay Jewelers anti second amendment policy need simply watch to see who leaves Jared and Kay Jewelers to find unarmed victims in possession of valuable jewelry or cash to prey upon.
As Ms Vicki Copus stated that is your right. It is my right to cease shopping at any business that has no respect for my life, well being or my civil rights. Fortunately there are quality jewelers in my area that do not require I or my wife become defenseless prey in order for them to accept our money. I will no longer shop at Jared and Kay Jewelers as long as their policy aids and abets violent predatory criminals.

#69 ·
No I failed to do. Sadly in part because this thread shows less than unified support for boycotting anti civil rights stores.

It has been my observation that this forum; as a whole a great resource for SD carry and a supporter of 2A generally speaking, also has a great many members who willing accept and even support various degrees of gun control, such as permits, certification, license and even registration. I think in part because many have been brain washed or programed by their respective states and the anti self defense league of fanatic volunteer victims. If you grow up in an area where CCW permits are required I can under stand how some may think that is normal or OK without question.

I can only hope that they will learn that while it is currently the norm in most states. It is neither acceptable moral, rational or Constitutional. Requiring concealed weapons permit or any other gun control measure has never ever saved a life or prevented a crime. But they have caused hundreds maybe more to die, or be horribly maimed, mutilated, raped and robbed.

#67 ·
Up here in Kanada, where we are not permitted to legally carry concealed (only a handful are) the jeweler that sold us our wedding rings was beaten to within an inch of his death by thugs that used the very same crowbars to smash their way into his store while the alarms were ringing and the call to 911 had been made "Hold the line... stay on the phone". I am thinking of proposing a bill be introduced in parliament to remove guns from the police and replace them with chalk so that they can outline the bodies that are beginning to stack up.

I will retire stateside shortly and have CCW in every state that I am able to so far... and heading down to Arizona and Nevada shortly to get permits from them..... but I hear I'm going to need AWD and chains?

I had planned on spending a few days in Vegas and taking the training (like I really need it right?) and doing the paperwork thing and then down to AZ for a couple of days to do the same thing. Should be fun. Will take my Glock 30 and Sig P239 with me and register them in Clark County I suppose... or, come to think of it, it seems to me that I read I don't have to register them if I'm not resident for over 60 days. Next... Florida, land of Mickey Mouse and big honkin revolvers, the business end of which I found in my nose last time I was there. I got away with my life by sheer luck and the gene pool remains poluted.

Be safe.

#71 ·
a bit far afield from the issue of being barred from a store, but aren't the 14 year old gangsta's already running around with 15+1? I suspect that there is not a law or a certification process that will physically hinder a street gang member from carrying a gun. They're not exactly 'good citizens'.

If a store CHOOSES to exclude me, despite my submitting to lawful certification, should I willingly patronize that store that is looking to prevent me the ability to protect myself, or my family when BGs show their hand.

#73 ·
If a store CHOOSES to exclude me, despite my submitting to lawful certification, should I willingly patronize that store that is looking to prevent me the ability to protect myself, or my family when BGs show their hand.
That's your individual choice to make.

Choosing not to patronize that business is your option. Choosing to patronize the business and carry anyway (where not prohibited by law) is another option. Choosing to disarm and patronize the business is also an option.

None of these choices makes one somehow a traitor to the Second Amendment. (I know you didn't make such a claim, but there seems to be an undertone of that in the thread).

Matt

#74 ·
I think the threads rapidly transform too. I just thought the concept that it was somehow wrong to 'take your business elsewhere', because you might be financially hurting employees, was logic wrapped a little too tight. I believe in individual choice too. (I'm ok with stem cell research and don't think television pastors should dictate my morals either, but hey..thats just me. LOL)

#75 ·
That was me OtoPA and your right, but it was not my intention to say that you should still do your business there, by all all means, take your business elsewhere, that's an American right, freedom to shop elsewhere or do business elsewhere if you so desire.

My point was that someone was saying boycott the business, that seemed a little harsh to me for that would be hurting the poor working slobs in there, more then the company is all I was trying to put out, I might not have made that clear, my apologies to all for not making that precisely clear.

As far as my comments just a few up, oh no to the individual saying that myself and many others here are brainwashed because we believe there should be some type of certification or system in place to weed out the looney tunes, I'll stand by my words all the way. As I stated in my comments, yes, we have those probleems out there, I made that clear and they will surface, I made that clear 15 + 1 carriers, they will show themselves and we will have to deal with them, but we don't have to add to the problem. Simple enough in my view.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.