Defensive Carry banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

I went to Jared's...then left

10K views 77 replies 44 participants last post by  HotGuns 
#1 ·
Here's a letter I sent to Jared Jewelers via their website...feel free to fill up their in-box. :hand1:

I would like to share my "sales-prevention" experience with your company.

I was Christmas shopping today for my wife and I drove to your store at the Carriage Crossing shopping center in Collierville, TN. As I parked in front of your store I noticed a sign on the door prohibiting firearms from being carried in your store. After reading this notification, I left without entering. I felt it important to let you know as a lawful Tennessee Handgun Permit Holder, I respected your wishes and did not enter your store. You see, today, just like any other day, I was legally armed while I went about my day of shopping. I then drove to Kay Jewelers and purchased a diamond and sapphire ring for my wife.

As long as it is your company policy to prohibit me from entering your store while exercising my right of self-protection, I will not shop at Jared's. I will also be sharing this negative experience with other like-minded handgun permit owners.

#5 ·
I have mixed feelings about this certain case, because if it would've saved me 100+ dollars on a piece of jewelry that is more anywhere else, i would disarm and go buy. I am too strapped for money these days to not pass up on something because im trying to make a point. Dont get me wrong in the least respect, I agree with what you're saying and would do the same if i was maybe buying gas, or getting a sandwich, or renting a movie, etc etc.

#6 ·
You probably got a better deal at Kay's. You did good.

#7 ·
Is this the same jewelry store that got robbed not too long ago at Carriage Crossing? I wonder if the BGs in that case paid attention to the sign...I lived in C'ville for about two years, just left last May to move back to Destin, FL. Too much crime in the Memphis area, even in relatively safe Collierville.

#8 ·
Another way to protest Jareds. is to watch TV. They do a fair amount of advertising. Write to the producers of the TV show, explain your displeasure of their particular advertiser, and state you won't be watching anymore.

#9 ·
and Macy's...?

I was in a standalone Macy's yesterday (Gilbert, AZ) - it was in a shopping "area", but not connected to any other store, as you would find in a regular shopping mall. To my chagrin, as my wife and I left the store, I saw the tiny-print sign at the bottom of the entry door, stating "no handguns."

I'm a long-time Macy's shopper, but this was the first time I'd seen that prohibition at one of their stores. I don't know if this is an Arizona peculiarity... has anyone else seen "no handguns" signage on Macy's stores elsewhere? I want to gather information before I put the letter to corporate HQ together.

#11 ·
I was in a standalone Macy's yesterday (Gilbert, AZ) - it was in a shopping "area", but not connected to any other store, as you would find in a regular shopping mall. To my chagrin, as my wife and I left the store, I saw the tiny-print sign at the bottom of the entry door, stating "no handguns."

I'm a long-time Macy's shopper, but this was the first time I'd seen that prohibition at one of their stores. I don't know if this is an Arizona peculiarity... has anyone else seen "no handguns" signage on Macy's stores elsewhere? I want to gather information before I put the letter to corporate HQ together.
gasmitty,

I was in the Collierville Carriage Crossing Macy's, last week and did not see any signs posted there.

#10 ·
I was in there today, but I didn't notice any signs. I guess between all the traffic,
snow and my hurt knee I wasn't as observant as usual. I usually look for that. I wasn't carrying because I went there after work, but while I was in there, I was wishing that I had my pistol. About 10 years ago 2 men fresh out of prison tried to rob a local jewelry store here. They had the worst luck of any bad guys, they picked a store where the owners were well armed. A shoot out commenced and the 2 bad guys lost. The story has been linked here before. It's a very good read. The store was Beverly Hills Jewelers if anyone wants to search ( Richmond Times Dispatch ).

I am going to go by Jared tomorrow, to see if they have a sign if they do I am going to get a refund and tell them why. Then I might ride across the river and shop at Beverly Hills.

#12 ·
I got spoiled when i worked at the Pawn/Gun shop because i got to carry everyday. About 18 years ago the shop's owner's son was shot and killed behind the counter during a robbery. Needless to say that place was WELL armed with handguns and shotguns strategically placed when i was there.

#14 ·
If I owned a Jared's or any jewlery store for that matter, I would offer a 40% discount to any customer that could show me their CCW and spend at least an hour in my store. And I would display the offer that took up my whole store front. :yup:

#16 ·
Jared is well known for there anti gun stance.

Just 2 days ago I was inspired to purchase a bit of bling for the wife. I purposely DID NOT look at their website. Didn't know about Kay, but ended up making a purchase with Helsberg.

#18 ·
I shoped at Jared once, didn't notice the No Guns sign when I went in as someone was on their way out and held the door for me. I did see the sign on the way out though.

While there, I did notice that there were 2 armed, uniformed security guards in the store and also one "plain clothes". Can't say this is the case at every Jared, but it is/was at the one by me.
(and no it isn't a high crime area)

Would I shop there again...maybe, if they had something I wanted that no one else had, but honestly, I can say they are priced higher then some of the other stores and carry a whole lot of the same stuff the other stores do (so it would be unlikely I'd be shopping there again).

Around me, there are a number of "mom n pop" (ie:non chain) stores to choose from and I'd rather shop at them anyway. While they usually have a smaller selection, they tend to have more unique pieces, and one of the stores also does FFL transfers! :danceban:

#22 ·
many jewelry stores around here have the signs that prohibit firearms unless authorized by law. I have less of an issues with the businesses that post these signs; it makes the sheep happy and it doesn't barr you from entering armed.

#24 ·
If you really want to get there attention, scan a receipt from the store you did make your purchase and attach that to your original e-mail.
It may help to let them see the money lost.
:congrats: for sticking to your guns. :bier:

#25 ·
Personally, I don't bother with large chain stores when I can avoid it. I would rather spend a few more bucks and support a local small business owner.

#30 ·
+1. Both Jared's and Kay"s sell mass-produced, over-priced bling. If you buy your squeeze anything from a place like this, tens of thousands of others are wearing the same junky jewelry.

Spend the same amount of money with a local artist and be a hero for getting her something unique.

#26 ·
Someone mentioned, would you have saved money at Jareds?

You know folks, I'm with you all and I'm a strong advocate all the way with CCP/Ws and all of it and I do.

I sit here and read and read and I wonder just how many of you would cut your nose off to spite your face. I see a fair amount would here by reading.

Has common sense been lost here to, no wonder the Anti's are fighting us tooth and nail even harder then before. Were not helping our cause with some of us here.

#27 ·
All due respect to everyone on here but there are a lot of people here who are reading into things way past what they need to be, and are almost living lives in fear and paranoia with some of the responses I read. This mentality also fuels Anti's too because they think we are ready to blow if someone farts to loud. Chill out, defend yourself appropriately, and enjoy life's little things.

#28 ·
The Jared's here in San Antonio have valid Texas 30.06 signs prohibiting licensed concealed carry on their premises. Needless to say, I will not shop there. I haven't patronized any retail business that prohibits concealed carry for as long as I can recall. The only exception are establishments which fall under the Texas 51% rule -- the management has no choice on that one.

I'm going to take original poster Orangevol's cue and send a letter to Jared's management. I'll be curious to see if I get any response.

#35 ·
I'm going to take original poster Orangevol's cue and send a letter to Jared's management. I'll be curious to see if I get any response.
If you haven't sent that letter yet, you might want to ask them what they know that Key Bank doesn't. I bank at Key, one of the largest banks in the country, and they allow carry. If a freaking BANK will let me carry, what sort of privileged, secret knowledge is Jared's in possession of that brought them to this policy?

#29 ·
This is kind of how I view it. If the sign has no meaning, proceed, the worse that can happen is you get asked to leave.

If you live were a sign has laws to support it, proceed at your own risk.

#33 ·
There are three nice things about Missouri's laws.
1. If the sign isn't in accordance with the size and lettering guidelines, it's void.
2. Carrying in a posted place (not the same as a prohibited place, e.g. school, hospital) in and of itself is not a crime.
3. If they ask you to leave and you don't and they have to call the police, it's an "infraction", but you don't completely lose your license until you have 3 infractions. (Keep in mind, they can still charge you with trespassing, but it's not a weapons charge.)

Of course, if you're properly concealing, no one will ever know anyway. So far, there's no case law established for if you happen to have to draw and use your pistol in a posted place. I suppose there could be some criminal charges, and almost certainly some civil litigation to deal with.

#37 ·
I received an email response from Jareds...

Dear Doug,

I would like to respond to your e-mail concerning the Firearms/Weapons policy posted at our Carriage Crossing location.

Even though many states have laws permitting residents to carry concealed weapons and firearms, private employers have the right to ban weapons and prohibit persons with weapons from entering the premises. For the safety and security of our customers and store employees (Jared or Kay Jewelers) has made the decision to ban weapons and anyone possessing them from entering the store.

Sincerely,

Vicki Copus :sheep::sheep::sheep:
Customer Care

And here is my reply back to her...

Vicki,

I respect your right to ban weapons from your place of business, and as a result I will not shop your stores based on this decision. Now that I know Kay Jewelers is part of your company I plan to return the purchase I made there earlier this week.

Do you honestly feel that a "bad guy" who may be illegally carrying a weapon will honor this request when he sees your sign? Your company decision only affects the law abiding citizen that you have no reason to fear, not the un-lawful that have intent to rob or inflict harm upon your employees or customers.

#40 ·
I received an email response from Jareds...

Dear Doug,

I would like to respond to your e-mail concerning the Firearms/Weapons policy posted at our Carriage Crossing location.

Even though many states have laws permitting residents to carry concealed weapons and firearms, private employers have the right to ban weapons and prohibit persons with weapons from entering the premises. For the safety and security of our customers and store employees (Jared or Kay Jewelers) has made the decision to ban weapons and anyone possessing them from entering the store.

Sincerely,

Vicki Copus :sheep::sheep::sheep:
Customer Care

And here is my reply back to her...

Vicki,

I respect your right to ban weapons from your place of business, and as a result I will not shop your stores based on this decision. Now that I know Kay Jewelers is part of your company I plan to return the purchase I made there earlier this week.

Do you honestly feel that a "bad guy" who may be illegally carrying a weapon will honor this request when he sees your sign? Your company decision only affects the law abiding citizen that you have no reason to fear, not the un-lawful that have intent to rob or inflict harm upon your employees or customers.
:hand10: Excellent retort! Seeing how you stated the fact in your first email to them regarding the signage, and all Vicki could do is offer the (blah blah blah) corporate reply back. What a corporate tool she must be.

#43 ·
Its ok for the thieves robbing the store to carry weapons, but a working class individual legally licensed to carry a firearm acant enter the store. Personnally I feel the desire to CC increases greatly when transporting valuables or large amounts of cash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.