The move from NC to NY.

This is a discussion on The move from NC to NY. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've got a pretty good idea of how difficult it is to obtain a carry permit in upstate NY, my question here is would it ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The move from NC to NY.

Unhappy The move from NC to NY.

I've got a pretty good idea of how difficult it is to obtain a carry permit in upstate NY, my question here is would it be that much more in my favor to getting approved if I already have one in another state ?? I understand first timers in NY may have it pretty difficult, but someone moving to the area who has shown responsibility within the previous state of carrying concealed, that it may be a bit easier to get. Any thoughts to this ?? Reason i ask is that it is probable that i will be moving to upstate NY around the beginning of 11' so that my GF will be close to her family again. I hate the thought that i wont be able to carry anymore... almost makes me sick.
    Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    If you are living your life worried about being a victim all the time and not enjoying life to the fullest, you are already a victim...
    -You don't know what you don't see-

1*

NRA Member

2. Remove Ads

NYS is difficult, but not impossible. As far as I know they do not have reciprocity with any other state. You'll probably have to go through the process which takes 6-8 months depending on the county. Do it, the time will be over before you know it.

Jim

Oh man, kind of reminds me of that Miller Lite commercial where that girl keeps asking that guy about picking what he would have go off the cliff....."Me or your Mom?.......Me or your Miller Lite?" I hope your GF appreciates you and what you're giving up if they deny your CC permit. I've actually wondered that myself if I were to move from one state to another. I'm interested in what someone that knows has to say about NY. Best of luck to ya!!
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

There are far more women in NC than CCW's in NY.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I grew up in upstate. I lived in NC for a while and now I'm in Maryland. NYS CCW varies by county. Some are far easier to get a permit approved in than others. Some are nearly impossible.

Make sure to read up on NY firearm laws. You can't bring any handguns in until you get a permit to possess and have them "placed" on your card. This trips me up as I am no longer a NYS resident I am not allowed to legally visit the state with any handguns.

If you have any semi-auto rifles make sure they are not banned via NY's AWB, which is essentially the 94' Clinton Ban with a few changes in wording. No post ban magazines over 10rds etc...

I understand your reasoning for the move, but good luck. Jobs are hard to come by, at least in the area of upstate that I come from.

Quote Originally Posted by LethalStang View Post
    I've got a pretty good idea of how difficult it is to obtain a carry permit in upstate NY, my question here is would it be that much more in my favor to getting approved if I already have one in another state ?? I understand first timers in NY may have it pretty difficult, but someone moving to the area who has shown responsibility within the previous state of carrying concealed, that it may be a bit easier to get. Any thoughts to this ?? Reason i ask is that it is probable that i will be moving to upstate NY around the beginning of 11' so that my GF will be close to her family again. I hate the thought that i wont be able to carry anymore... almost makes me sick.
    It really comes down to the county that you move to. Mine is pretty easy going with pro gun judges and a very pro gun sheriff. It took me three months to get mine, and a buddy of mine took only two. Again it will vary greatly by county.

Yes there are some B.S. laws on ammo capacity (post-ban), etc. but you would be suprised at how many other states have otherwise more restrictive laws.

The best resource I have found for up to date laws on firearms in NY is this: Looseleaf Law

EDIT: They also have it on a CD: http://www.looseleaflaw.com/catalog/...=1-889031-29-1

Its very informative and they mail you updates that explain which sections to remove/where to put the new ones. It was well worth the money, I highly suggest it to you and anyone else in N.Y. or moving to NY. (NOTE: This book was put together by some of the same people that were involved in writing the laws so it should be pretty accurate). After reading this it was sad to hear how many misconceptions of NY laws in relation to firearms and particularly self defense there were. It was like everyone I ran into had the facts completely backwards.

Also, I do believe there is a time period that you must be a NYS resident before you can apply for the permit but I could be wrong. I'll try to check on that and get back to you. Good Luck.
    Note: This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, or may entirely lack a coherent theme. These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the overall beauty of the post.

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    Next time you visit upstate NY, look for a friendly gun range (with FFL) near where you plan to move, so you can have an FFL in your state forward your handguns by mail to the NY FFLand maybe they'll let you shoot while your paperwork is being processed......IANAL
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

NY is such that if one of your g/f's family members is a crinimal NY uses this to determine if you're eligible for a permit. They consider you a threat for her family member to obtain a gun from you. So I've heard..

Quote Originally Posted by hudsonvalley View Post
    Next time you visit upstate NY, look for a friendly gun range (with FFL) near where you plan to move, so you can have an FFL in your state forward your handguns by mail to the NY FFLand maybe they'll let you shoot while your paperwork is being processed......IANAL

This relates to one of my pet peeves with New York...you can't touch a handgun unless you have a pistol permit. Legally , at the range, I can't let my better half shoot my handguns, because she does not have a pistol permit, ( this is something I am working on ). I can let my fourteen year old grand daughter shoot, and I can let another pistol permit holder shoot, but not the wife or anyone else for that matter.

It sure would help the shooting sport, if we could allow an interested person shoot our handguns at a range. It would probably be a cold day in hell before this law is changed.

Thanks everyone for the responses. It's a bit disheartening to hear some of this but there is not much i can do but try. Breaking it off because of some gun laws is just not acceptable, i dont go that shallow. Im going to have to do some research as to what county it is and how difficult it will be to get. What about keeping handguns "concealed" in a safe on your own property ?? Is that a no-no in NY too ??
    If you are living your life worried about being a victim all the time and not enjoying life to the fullest, you are already a victim...

1*

NRA Member

It has been a while but I beleive you must be a resident for at least a year and heve 4 references in the same county.

Plan on selling your guns and high cap magazines at least you can still have a shotgun.

Where are you moving upstate? If it's the Syracuse area/Onondaga county you won't get a permit. Onondaga county is the toughest to get a permit in the state besides NYC. You will wait a long time and it will cost you $300+ and that's if your extremely lucky to get that far. I can't speak for other counties but I lived in Onondaga county for almost 10 years, then I realized I would rather live anywhere else in the country besides there so I moved a state over to Vermont and got my rights back :)

The worst part is you can't even own/buy a handgun in NYS without a permit so in other words you can't even keep a handgun in your home. You need to sell them before you move or risk a 7 year felony sentence for owning a handgun without a permit.

I hope you have a good reason to move to NY, you couldn't pay me enough to move back to the communist country of NY. If your GF needs to be close to her family move one state over to VT and you will still be close and you will still be a free man.
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

NY is, on the whole, a very repressive state for handgun owners. Having a permit from another state doesn't change the requirements, nor give you any edge over someone with no previous out of state permit (that I have ever heard of).That being said, Rensselaer county is one of the most common sense counties for legally owning a handgun. They seem to really believe in the Second Amendment for all their citizens, and will issue you an unrestricted permit, as long as you fulfill all the normal requirements. If possible, find a place to reside in this county and enjoy your 2A rights to their fullest.
    TC
    SIG P229R DAK & SIG P230
    Beretta PX4 Storm .40 & Beretta 92F
    Kahr PM9 Covert
    Kel-Tec P3AT

Can i get permits to transfer my guns to NY ?? We'd be moving to Corning, NY or very close by. Maybe we can live just over the border in PA, its only about a half hour drive to Corning. I think its Stueben County or something like that where Corning is.

1*

NRA Member

No you cannot, you can bring rifles and shotguns but you cannot bring hanguns into the state unless you are just passing through. If you live in NY you cannot have a handgun in your home if you do not have a permit. the smartest thing you can do is live over the border in PA, for a lot of reasons not just gun ownership. When you move to NY you lose a lot more than just the 2nd amendment.

When your in corning check out the museum of glass it's pretty impressive
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links