Need a little help from the Texans - Page 2

Need a little help from the Texans

This is a discussion on Need a little help from the Texans within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The sign does not meet Tx law. But, try convincing security or the cops if you are discovered. Hospital parking garages are bad places at ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need a little help from the Texans

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    The sign does not meet Tx law. But, try convincing security or the cops if you are discovered. Hospital parking garages are bad places at night. I really do not understand why hospitals seem to be so off limits for ccw. People get mad about their bill?

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.stuart View Post
    The sign does not meet Tx law. But, try convincing security or the cops if you are discovered. Hospital parking garages are bad places at night. I really do not understand why hospitals seem to be so off limits for ccw. People get mad about their bill?
    Well, there is that. But the main thing about hospitals and doctors on this is they see a lot of gun shot wounds and this tends to make many of them anti-gun. Not logical but then, that (emotion) is what runs the antis mostly.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

I had to go to a local emergency room a couple of months ago. Good thing they didn't check my pants pockets. I had a Keltec .380 in one of the front pockets. Oops.....

They actually had the 30.06 sign displayed appropriately. Of course at that particular moment, I didn't care....

Everything turned out alright and I was out 7 hours later.
    Glock, Colt, S&W,Beretta,ParaOrdnance
    Springfields, Browning, Keltec... to name a few.

TSRA, NRA, IDPA, IPSC, USPSA
    NRA Certified RSO and Instructor
    Certified CHL Instructor in Texas and Lousisiana

like posted above, the sign must be in English and Spanish and the letters must be a certain size and visibly posted at each entrance.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    NO IT IS NOT A LEGAL SIGN,below is
    In order to provide notice that entry on property by a license holder with a concealed handgun is forbidden, Penal Code Section 30.06(c)(3)(A) requires that a written communication contain the following language:

"PURSUANT TO SECTION 30.06, PENAL CODE (TRESPASS BY HOLDER OF A LICENSE TO CARRY A CONCEALED HANDGUN) A PERSON LICENSED UNDER SUBCHAPTER H, CHAPTER 411, GOVERNMENT CODE (CONCEALED HANDGUN LAW), MAY NOT ENTER THIS PROPERTY WITH A CONCEALED HANDGUN."

"CONFORME A LA SECCIÓN 30.06 DEL CÔDIGO PENAL (TRASPASAR PORTANDO ARMAS DE FUEGO) PERSONAS CON LICENCIA BAJO DEL SUB-CAPITULO H, CAPITULO 411, CODIGO DE GOBIERNO (LEY DE PORTAR ARMAS), NO DEBEN ENTRAR A ESTA PROPIEDAD PORTANDO UN ARMA DE FUEGO."
    And the beauty of the 30.06 law is it specifies exactly what the text must be, and that it must be in both english and spanish, and must be block letters at least one inch tall on a contrasting background. Also, the signs must be posted conspicuously and plainly visible to the public. If it is only in english, or the letters are only 3/4 of an inch tall, it is not a legally enforceable sign.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Ok, maybe it's me or I'm not getting something here, I understand the sign thing, but if the State Law says no Handguns or Concealed Carry of hanguns on the premises, what difference does the sign make if the words in the law itself specifically state No such as the hospital, maybe I'm just missing something here.

I'll research it tonight after work after I come here, maybe I'm just dense this morning, not like that hasn't happened before in the morning.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

The law itself was updated to say that the sign is now required to prevent CHL's from carrying in those types of places.

Quote Originally Posted by Guardian View Post
    Ok, maybe it's me or I'm not getting something here, I understand the sign thing, but if the State Law says no Handguns or Concealed Carry of hanguns on the premises, what difference does the sign make if the words in the law itself specifically state No such as the hospital, maybe I'm just missing something here.

I'll research it tonight after work after I come here, maybe I'm just dense this morning, not like that hasn't happened before in the morning.
    I am confused as well. Why did the earlier parts of the statute even mention hospitals, if they must post like any other biz?? Isn't that like saying you can't conceal carry on a used car parking lot, BUT the car lot must still have the 30.06 posting or you can carry. Scratching my head.

Quote Originally Posted by whiskerygoof View Post
    I am confused as well. Why did the earlier parts of the statute even mention hospitals, if they must post like any other biz?? Isn't that like saying you can't conceal carry on a used car parking lot, BUT the car lot must still have the 30.06 posting or you can carry. Scratching my head.
    It appears to be some sort of procedural thing within the state legislature. When revising an existing law, supposedly its easier to add a subsection to section, rather than rewriting the entire section. Or so I've heard.

Quote Originally Posted by Grant48 View Post
    It appears to be some sort of procedural thing within the state legislature. When revising an existing law, supposedly its easier to add a subsection to section, rather than rewriting the entire section. Or so I've heard.
    OK, thanks. Makes sense, I guess. Good luck to the Frogs in your BCS game. Longhorn here.

Quote Originally Posted by whiskerygoof View Post
    Good luck to the Frogs in your BCS game. Longhorn here.
    Thanks! And good luck to the 'Horns too. The more TX teams that win, the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom Doc View Post
    Well, there is that. But the main thing about hospitals and doctors on this is they see a lot of gun shot wounds and this tends to make many of them anti-gun.
    I'm sure they see a lot of car crash wounds, yet they still buy expensive automobiles and drive like lunatics.

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes Kenney View Post
    Does the presence of this sign in the hospital entryway oblige me to disarm?

The sign must be a joke. Because if it is real, the person that wrote the text in Spanish must be a 5 years old child; the text is a directly translation from English which makes it sound crazy, the semantic is wrong, and several words are spelled incorrectly. And concerning the text in English; although all weapons are prohibited at St. Paul medical center, does the state law only prohibits carrying a handgun on these premises and therefore it allows carrying other type of weapons, e.g. knives, shotguns etc. ?

Could you please tell the address or phone number to this medical center?
    Last edited by GM; December 28th, 2009 at 09:34 AM.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Here's the way it was explained to me by my CHL instructor.
    You are legally licensed to carry a pistol, and it is concealed from the sight of others, and you are not restricted from doing so by either a 30.06 or 51% sign or school/government/polling place. As long as these three conditions are met, then as far as the law is concerned, you don't HAVE a gun until you reveal its presence.
    Note: This rule of thumb does not apply to inquiry by LEOs.

And to the OP, no that sign not a legal form of notification under 30.06.
    It might have been binding several years ago, before the law was changed, but not now.
    Maybe the hospital administration didn't get the memo.
    Walther P99 AS 9mm

"Learning without thought is labor lost. Thought without learning is perilous."
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied chains us all irrevocably." ~Jean-Luc Picard (Patrick Stewart)

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius View Post
    Here's the way it was explained to me by my CHL instructor.
    You are legally licensed to carry a pistol, and it is concealed from the sight of others, and you are not restricted from doing so by either a 30.06 or 51% sign or school/government/polling place. As long as these three conditions are met, then as far as the law is concerned, you don't HAVE a gun until you reveal its presence.
    Note: This rule of thumb does not apply to inquiry by LEOs.

And to the OP, no that sign not a legal form of notification under 30.06.
    It might have been binding several years ago, before the law was changed, but not now.
    Maybe the hospital administration didn't get the memo.
    But I believe in Texas, you must show your conceal license as well as your drivers license if stopped by LEO, ie speeding ticket, etc.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links