Just moved to Texas - question about 30.06 laws

This is a discussion on Just moved to Texas - question about 30.06 laws within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It's official, I'm settled in Midland now (have yet to get a Texas ID though, just got here yesterday). I was reading up on Texas' ...

Thread: Just moved to Texas - question about 30.06 laws

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar

Just moved to Texas - question about 30.06 laws

It's official, I'm settled in Midland now (have yet to get a Texas ID though, just got here yesterday). I was reading up on Texas' 30.06 laws today on Handgunlaw.us and had some questions. According to the site a person may not carry "*on the premises of a church, synagogue, or other established place of religious worship." but it goes on to say "Items above marked * Do not apply if the actor was not given effective notice under Section 30.06."

Am I interpreting this correctly to mean that I can carry to church on Sunday SO LONG AS no 30.06 sign is in place?

Or is carrying to church overall?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

2. Remove Ads

I've never seen one posted on a church. I'd go the first day and let them know you are from out of town. At my wife's church we have "look outs" and new people are strongly encouraged to sign in and are talked to a little. This would be a good time to ask.

I am curious about Costco, though. I keep forgetting to look as I go in.

Welcome sir to the Lone Star State.

You are correct.

Read further down and you will see that the section forbidding you from carrying in a house of worship is later canceled out.

"Subsections (b)(4), (b)(5), (b)(6)... do not apply if the actor was not given effective notice under Section 30.06." The rule in question is in section (b)(6).

In short, if there is no (legal) 30.06 posting you are good to go, once you get your CHL or if you have a CCW TX honors.

God, the Good Book, and a gun, the only way to worship!
    Last edited by Paco; December 22nd, 2009 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Re-read the OP and realized I need a nap.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

VIP Member
    Yes, I think you are interpreting it correctly. The legislature doesn't do things simply.

First they had a prohibition against carrying in churches. Period. Then, instead of repealing the prohibition, they made it contingent on the display of the 30.06 sign.

At least that is my understanding of the situation.

It sort of makes sense. Only sort of.

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post

You are correct, but you are also lacking in info. I just love how laws contradict themselves within the same law.

Read further down and you will see that the section forbidding you from carrying in a house of worship is later canceled out.

"Subsections (b)(4), (b)(5), (b)(6)... do not apply if the actor was not given effective notice under Section 30.06." The rule in question is in section (b)(6).

In short, if there is no (legal) 30.06 posting you are good to go, once you get your CHL or if you have a CCW TX honors.

Thanks, Paco! I had a feeling that was the case, but wanted another Texan's validation of that.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Quote Originally Posted by pcon View Post
    Thanks, Paco! I had a feeling that was the case, but wanted another Texan's validation of that.
    I had the same question when I got on here, and if I am not mistaken Ridgeline pointed it out to me. I have to admit it is not real clear in the manual, unless you read it and then search back up for the proper section to the subsection of the main section, blah, blah.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Of course if they discover that you are carrying, they could ask you to leave and you would be required to do so as that constitutes effective notice. If you do not leave, you would then be in violation which could cost you plenty.

So, CCW there all day long if you wish, but be careful of the hugs. They get you every time!
    Glock, Colt, S&W,Beretta,ParaOrdnance
    Springfields, Browning, Keltec... to name a few.

TSRA, NRA, IDPA, IPSC, USPSA
    NRA Certified RSO and Instructor
    Certified CHL Instructor in Texas and Lousisiana

Here is a link to the DPS page. They have the current laws and also a section on FAQs.
    Texas Department of Public Safety - Courtesy, Service, Protection

Oh yeah, Welcome to Texas! The local beer takes some getting used to, but it is a small price to pay for the BBQ!
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Also don't forget about the 51% sign. Make sure you know about other places that are not posted but are off limits, like schools, sports stadiums when there is a game, and fed buildings.

I had the same question when I got on here, and if I am not mistaken Ridgeline pointed it out to me. I have to admit it is not real clear in the manual, unless you read it and then search back up for the proper section to the subsection of the main section, blah, blah.
    Ill second the "welcome to Texas", and keep in mind you may run across a LEO or two that may not know that law also. Its always good to ask the other members of your church and/or your pastor.

My pastor made a comment on Sunday about how glad he was he could not carry in church (relating to some people that make him a tad huffy ). I made a point to explain the law to him. Hey, hes a transplant from S. Carolina....wudda gonna do?

So you moved to Midland, what exactly do you do in the oil and gas industry anyway?
    Andy
    You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas - David Crockett
    When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by basher052 View Post
    So you moved to Midland, what exactly do you do in the oil and gas industry anyway?
    I don't do anything. The wife was just hired as a field engineer for Schlumberger out here. So far, I like it. It's not Colorado, but hey...49 states aren't either ;-)
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Quote Originally Posted by pcon View Post
    I don't do anything. The wife was just hired as a field engineer for Schlumberger out here. So far, I like it. It's not Colorado, but hey...49 states aren't either ;-)
    Um, no it aint Cold in the winter, warm in summer, and flat, flat, flat
    Andy
    You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas - David Crockett
    When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar

You are correct.

A big Amen to this one
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Welcome!

Welcome to Texas pcon! The only thing better than being in Texas is...well...thats abotu as good as it gets! Midland is very nice, I visited that area a while back for an event at some big horse arena in Odessa.

Hospitals are the same way as churchs, if its posted, you cant carry.

Alex!

Links