Found out the holdup on my CCW

This is a discussion on Found out the holdup on my CCW within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been waiting a little over 100 days in Florida for my permit. I just got a letter from the state wanting to know the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Found out the holdup on my CCW

Found out the holdup on my CCW

I've been waiting a little over 100 days in Florida for my permit. I just got a letter from the state wanting to know the disposition of a case from 1974. The FBI has it listed as a felony and no disposition. Well I called Sarasota County to get a certified copy of the disposition. Next day lady calls me back and says they cannot find anything but she will send me a certified copy that she did a due and diligent search.

Now as to what happened 35 years ago. I had a new 4 wheel drive truck and was out in the woods. One of the trails I was on brought me out onto a school yard. I pulled out and made a quick u-turn and headed back in the woods. Well there was an officer there that saw me. I guess he got out on the street and started to look for me. He grabbed me about an hour later and was pissed. I guess he thought I was trying to run from him.

Anyway to the point. I was charged with "destruction of public property" (churning up the grass when I made my turn) and "fleeing to elude" (when he could not find me for an hour)

I went to court but for the life of me I cannot remember the outcome other than the judge was not impressed with the charge once I told my story. It was never classed as a felony.

So once I get the letter I'll send it all back to Tallahassee and see what happens. I also called the Sarasota Police Dept to see if they had some record of it and the officer I talked to said I should be OK as they don't keep records back that far.

So we will see.

2. Remove Ads

Were the charges reduced or dismissed Seems like one would remember that. I'm just sayin'...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

If as described ...

You disrupted a bit of grass, so you get charged with destruction of property and fleeing/eluding, and then it gets jacked to a felony? Sounds stupid enough. (Sounds like you turned your car, then went that-a-way. Ooooooh, you felon, you!)

Kudos to the judge for seeing the stupidity and Nazi "smell" of it all.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Well it was 35 years ago but for the life of me I cannot remember the outcome. I know I walked out but I don't remember a fine. I do remember telling the judge that I would replace the sod I tore up if he wanted me to.

The county told me their records go back to 1919 so I'm thinking he just dismissed it if there is no record.

There should at least be a record of a dismissal...

That aside...seriously....35 years ago? I'm thinking something like that would have popped up sooner during an NCIC check when you purchased firearms...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by pelletm View Post
    Well it was 35 years ago but for the life of me I cannot remember the outcome.
    I wouldnt feel bad.
    I cant remember my name most mornings

Was the cop named Officer Obie? Did he have twenty seven eight by ten color glossy photographs with circles and arrows and and a paragraph on the back of each one, explaining what each one was to be used as evidence against you?

Sorry, when I read this I just flashed back to Arlo Guthrie and Alice's Restaurant
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

I just go my Fla CCW and had the same thing...except mine was 13 years ago. I was able to look it up on the internet and called the lady at the review office and she looked it up as well. Liscense issued...I would call Mrs. Johnson at the review office and relate what the person said about not being able to find the information and ask what would be sufficient for you to obtain your CCW.

I too had a little run in with the law way back in "74"...it haunts me everytime I go to renew..I just produce my copy of the Pardon letter and a note from the FBI..yeah it's a pain, but worth the effort.
    "Brains before Bullets"

I'm in the same boat. FL wants more info on a 19 year old misdemeanor charge in DC. I am still waiting for the Superior Court to send me a certified copy of the disposition. In the meantime UT, NV and VA have issued me CCW permits. FL is either very cautious or stupid, because my charge is an obvious misdemeanor for which I paid a fine. I am not disqualified from a CCW according to FL

Still waiting. Maybe I kissed 117 bucks goodbye. Not sure yet.

From the letter I gather they just want to make sure if it was a felony that I had my rights restored. Since it wasn't I think I will be OK with the certified letter.

I hope

I had a similar situation happen to me, although, it was on a violation. Not sure if it's exactly what happened to you, but I was charged with the violation(s) and, same thing, the judge was going to "cut me a break", considering the fact that I had never been in trouble before, not even a traffic or parking ticket. He gave my case an ACD (Adjournment in Contemplation of Dismissal), which is as good as a full dismissal if you keep your nose clean for 6 months.

Six months after an ACD, the judge is supposed to dismiss the case and seal the record. It basically goes away like it never happened. Well, somewhere along the line, my case never got dealt with. About 8 years later, I filled out the paperwork to teach hunter safety classes and found out that the tickets were still open and had no disposition.

The moral of this story is to follow up in that situation and don't rely on others (even a judge!) to make sure your record is cleaned up.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    Was the cop named Officer Obie? Did he have twenty seven eight by ten color glossy photographs with circles and arrows and and a paragraph on the back of each one, explaining what each one was to be used as evidence against you?

Sorry, when I read this I just flashed back to Arlo Guthrie and Alice's Restaurant
    Good one.

Hope it works out, let us know the end result.

Quote Originally Posted by swinokur View Post
    FL wants more info... In the meantime UT, NV and VA have issued me CCW permits. FL is either very cautious or stupid
    Florida's licenses are issued by the Dept of Agriculture, which is not a law enforcement agency... Thus, they do not have access to FBI's NCIC. Therefore, their background checks are done by other means, and apparently sometimes they are not privy to official disposition of dismissed charges.

UT, NV, and VA licenses are issued by law enforcement agencies, with NCIC access. This would explain why they were able to issue your CCWs without asking you to provide additional info.

Quote Originally Posted by Grant48 View Post
    Florida's licenses are issued by the Dept of Agriculture, which is not a law enforcement agency... Thus, they do not have access to FBI's NCIC. Therefore, their background checks are done by other means, and apparently sometimes they are not privy to official disposition of dismissed charges.

UT, NV, and VA licenses are issued by law enforcement agencies, with NCIC access. This would explain why they were able to issue your CCWs without asking you to provide additional info.
    This happened to me too but I was a florida reident at the time I was hooked up. Charges were dropped at the station as I was swept up just for being there but the charge shows anyway.

I went to the court they did a search came up with nothing as I never went to court. Gave me a certified letter saying they could find nothing sent it in and 3 days later got a call from Barbara Morris saying she was going to issue and a week later there it was.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links