MI no gun zones

This is a discussion on MI no gun zones within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; With the holiday shopping season upon us, i have a couple questions. Several local malls are listed as "no gun zones" on the "places no ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MI no gun zones

MI no gun zones

With the holiday shopping season upon us, i have a couple questions. Several local malls are listed as "no gun zones" on the "places no to carry" list on the MCRGO website. None of them have signs on any of the doors i have seen. Only 1 of them has it posted, but in the very small print of their "rules and regulations" which isn't readily visible as you walk in.
    If these locations wish to be "no gun zones", but fail to properly mark their entrances as such, what is our responsibility as CPL holders to follow their rules? Are we to hunt down a copy of their rules and regulations prior to entering so we know we're in the clear?

2. Remove Ads

Michigan CPL Restrictions

I commented on something like this in another blog. There are sooooooooooo many restrictions to a Michigan CPL. If a business has signs informing an individual of a carry free zone, we are required to abide by that, unfortunately. If there are no signs to inform the individual, we are covered. Their BAD!! Let's all move to Vermont where they appreciate, respect, and uphold the law abiding citizens right to bear arms!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Simply put, no.
    Unless there is a sign posted I carry, as it is a right to do so.
    If there is a sign posted, my money is just as green elsewhere and that is where I will spend it.
    As a general rule I avoid mall shopping like the plague. I prefer strip malls or single stores, to the crowds and mall rats that cruise the larger malls. I like to park at a store entrance, go directly into the store, get what I need and get out, rather than traipsing through an entire mall to get where I need to shop. Less time spent in the stores leaves me more time at the Gun Shop
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Come to think of it, I've yet to see a sign in MI. Admittedly, I've never looked all that hard, so if it wasn't obvious, it was definately ignored. While we have restrictions, its not as bad as Ohio. At least we can carry into a restaurant that serves alcohol here. I travel to OH frequently to visit family and its a PITA to disarm just to have a meal at a nice sit down joint.

I check the doors of places just to be certain, but i'm not going to do much beyond that. If they're truely anti-gun they should at least make it obvious.
    Like you jonesy, i have yet to see a sign here in MI. I'm certain there are some anti's out there who don't want us CC'ing in their businesses, but aren't informed enough to take the proper measures to stop us...and that's fine by me.

I have never heard anything about having to obey a sign. In fact, I've never even seen a sign. My instructor never said anything about signs, and nothing is printed on the back of my card. Anyone find anything on the state police web site? Pretty much keep it covered and no one will know.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

The only true 'pistol free zones' are on MSP's website. The malls and business's that are on MCGRO's site are private property that do not want the business of customers that choose to protect themselves. If you choose to carry in a mall that has a 'code of conduct rule' against the carrying of a firearm, the worst that they can do is ask you to leave. If you choose not to leave, then you are tresspassing. That's why it is called concealed carry. When my wife drag's me kicking and screaming to the mall, I don't really want to depend on the Barney Fife security guard to protect me from some gang banger.

Quote Originally Posted by tbroy View Post
    When my wife drag's me kicking and screaming to the mall, I don't really want to depend on the Barney Fife security guard to protect me from some gang banger.
    Come on...you don't want to rely on the chubby flashlight & radio equipped security guard to save your hide? I chuckle whenever i walk past them, as i'm better armed & more prepared than all of them put together...they just don't know it.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock23MI View Post
    Come on...you don't want to rely on the chubby flashlight & radio equipped security guard to save your hide? I chuckle whenever i walk past them, as i'm better armed & more prepared than all of them put together...they just don't know it.
    Thats the Fact Jack ^^^^^
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

I too have checked MCRGOs website to find out who may have signs. I decided to take a trip to one of our local malls and see if a sign was indeed there. To my surprise there were no signs at all. Into the mall my wife and i went. No issues at all. I looked all over the place for postings and nothing. The security in the mall is a joke at best. Good lord who are the trying to fool
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

I raised this very issue not long ago. A mall is not a pistol free zone, as it is not listed on the MSP site. If you read the 'where not to carry' section on the MCRGO site, it states that 'businesses in Michigan have posted "No-Guns" signs indicating that persons lawfully licensed to carry concealed firearms for self defense are not welcome'. Not being welcome and being there illegally, are two very different things. Even if you carry into a business with a 'no firearms' sign, you are not in violation of Michigan's concealed pistol laws. You can however be arrested for trespassing, if it discovered that you are carrying (which of course, hopefully wouldn't be the case, since you are CONCEALED carrying!). I'm certainly not advocating carrying into a business that clearly does not want armed, law-abiding citizens at their estableshment. Instead, I say spend your money where you are welcomed!

I have looked at every store I have gone into and have yet to see a sign. Even at a few places listed on the MCGRO site. While Michigan is not the best state for CC it most definitely is not the worst, and things could get better, House Bill 4334 of 2009 is a bill that would eliminate all pistol free zones in Michigan. So contact your reps and tell them how you feel.
    NRA Member
    Glock 19,26
    S&W 340PD

I have never seen a sign in my area yet. I think the farther north you go the less signs you find
    34 hand guns and still going.....

EX-NRA lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by BriNik View Post
    I have looked at every store I have gone into and have yet to see a sign. Even at a few places listed on the MCGRO site. While Michigan is not the best state for CC it most definitely is not the worst, and things could get better, House Bill 4334 of 2009 is a bill that would eliminate all pistol free zones in Michigan. So contact your reps and tell them how you feel.
    Just did, thanks for letting me know.

Wow i didnt even know this web site existed, in fact our local mall "Midland" is on this list yet ive never seen a sign prohibiting carry

Well as far as i know since its not a state law to carry there if you were to be "made" they can only ask you to leave & if you refuse you could be charged with trespassing

Heck concealed means concealed so SCREW them & i guess we will try & not go to the mall anymore since they dont want my money
    Kimber Ultra Carry 2
    Kimber Eclipse Target 2
    Kahr PM9 (wife's edc)
    Kahr PM45, Glock 19 (3rd Gen) & DiamondBack DB9
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links