Defensive Carry banner

Waiting.... waiting....was that the mail?

2K views 16 replies 15 participants last post by  Mongo 
#1 ·
False alarm... again. :frown: I sent my Texas CHL packet off on February 1. around the middle of March I recieved a letter stating that I didn't sign the back of my photo. I signed it and mailed it the next day. I know, time starts over...:dead: I recieved my pin number on April 5, I check the the website everyday and it always says PROCESSING APPLICATION. I feel like I may die of old age or get shot before I can legally defend myself. I have already had numerous background checks due to my prior Military service and in my current job in corrections. When will the insanity end!!!:aargh4: Ok I feel better now I just needed to vent. :embarassed:

#2 ·
I really feel for all you folks who have the waiting periods, in particular when we are talking not days but weeks!!! Crazy.

What a stark contrast with here where in my county at least - it's in and out under 30 minutes, same day!

#3 ·
Like watching grass grow isn't it? Apparently Texas does not have a time limit by which they must issue or reject an application. Too bad, that is one thing I like about MN. 30 days and they must issue or reject.

#4 ·
acturally Texas has 60 days from when they receive it to get it to you. they say the time starts over when they get the corrected app back but i got mine around day 65 even after having to send it back for corrections.

you might want to give them a call directly I've heard that gets them moving better then emails.

#6 ·
Even Oregon is "in/out" in 10 min. (or abet more) for renewals. They still take about 15 to 20 days on the initial but that is because the state police drag their feet.

PA and NH are about a week after receipt (I'll find out if NH is still that quick soon).

Wayne

#7 ·
Just like a kid waiting for a cereal trinket...."Is it here yet?"..."Is it here yet?"...<pant pant>. Yea - we know the feeling! Relax!

#10 ·
I sent my packet off at the beginning of Feb too- and still getting the same "Processing Application" thing at the TxDPS website. I also didnt sign the back of the photos, but sent it back to them immediately. Have you heard anything else yet? I check that dang website 5 or 6 times a day, so I feel your pain!

#11 ·
My 21 year old son sent his paperwork packet in to Tx DPS in mid-Feb, his CHL arrived in the mail about a week and a half ago.

One report on another discussion board was that a lady in the CHL office left her job, all her work had to be assigned to others who were already overloaded. Don't know if that is true or not, but sounds reasonable enough.

Several folks have also posted on other sites that they received much faster results after they waited 60 days to call, then were nice and polite when they called.

#12 ·
I feel for ya....back in the late 80's, I had to wait one full year...and then some to get a firearms possession license (a requirement when one tries to get a CCW permit) when I lived in Puerto Rico; mind you, I already had a target license which allowed me to legally store a firearm in my house.

#13 ·
Update!- I just got off the phone with them after checking the website this morning and it said "No application/certificate active"! Well of course this freaked me out, so I call and they transfer to the guy that has my file and he said "everything looks ok, since you called I'll get it out today- it could take 5-7 days to receive it"-
He then said that they did lose some people in the office as posted earlier- so if your in my position, call them, and be nice! (I had two emails to them ignored by the way!)

#14 ·
Just fyi for anyone that wants to know/doesn't know...(my apoligies if this is all listed somewhere else)

Texas DPS will make every effort to get your license to you or notify you that you're disqualified 60 days after they receive the application. If anything in the packet is not sent correctly (as in pictures) then it will of course take a little longer. You do go through a DPS as well as FBI checks. The DPS processing may take up to 180 days if your background check reveals potentially disqualifying events or information.

#15 ·
I'll echo Chris's comments. I feel bad for the people who have to wait so long to get their CCWs. I live in NH and got it within a week. My wife and I dropped off the appplications and went down to the PD a week later and picked up the permits. No BS, no fingerprinting, no photos, nothing. As long as you pass the background check in NH, you get your permit. Shall-issue! :)

#16 ·
I just pulled out the old paperwork from the packet from TxDPS. I had two packets, one from DPS when I paid online that was sent almost a year ago and the one given out at the class so I'm not sure which this is or if the are the same version but on the "Instructions to Applicants for a License to Carry a Concealed Handgun in Texas" "Read This Page First!" sheet, dated at the bottom 2/98 #4 clearly states- Sign your name in the cutout window of the "Passport Photo Holder" according to the instructions printer (not my typo, theirs) on the holder. Also, tape the unsigned passport photo in to the 'Passport Photo Holder' also according to the insrtructions printed on the holder" Maybe there is a version of these instructions that are more recent so anyone in Texas may want to verify this before submitting- I didnt think I did it wrong!

#17 ·
since you called I'll get it out today- it could take 5-7 days to receive it"-
Now 638 close the windows and shades and be very, very quiet for that week and It Will Come.... :yup:

Same feeling with me, filed with the fiance for Florida, and hers came first!!!! I was sooooo jealous. ... mine came two days later.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.