Can't carry while at work, suggestions / options as find myself not carrying after

Can't carry while at work, suggestions / options as find myself not carrying after

This is a discussion on Can't carry while at work, suggestions / options as find myself not carrying after within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; By law I can't carry where I work. Because I am unsure what extreme cold would do to my ccw if I left it in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't carry while at work, suggestions / options as find myself not carrying after

By law I can't carry where I work. Because I am unsure what extreme cold would do to my ccw if I left it in the car all day (and extreme heat in August) and because 1/2 the time I end up just carrying it from drawer safe to the car and back again when I just go to work then home, I find myself not taking it with me.

But then the other 1/2 the time I meet up with my wife or kids for dinner, shopping, etc. and I am then unarmed and unable to provide protection. I strongly dislike this.

Anyone have any suggestions? What do you do if you are in similar circumstances? Need I worry about the gun going from extreme cold (single digits) after sitting in the car all day (or 90 and 100 degrees in summer)? If I do leave it in the car I have a feeling I should lock it up in a pacsafe or something.

Quote Originally Posted by treebark View Post
    By law I can't carry where I work. Because I am unsure what extreme cold would do to my ccw if I left it in the car all day (and extreme heat in August) and because 1/2 the time I end up just carrying it from drawer safe to the car and back again when I just go to work then home, I find myself not taking it with me.

But then the other 1/2 the time I meet up with my wife or kids for dinner, shopping, etc. and I am then unarmed and unable to provide protection. I strongly dislike this.

Anyone have any suggestions? What do you do if you are in similar circumstances? Need I worry about the gun going from extreme cold (single digits) after sitting in the car all day (or 90 and 100 degrees in summer)? If I do leave it in the car I have a feeling I should lock it up in a pacsafe or something.
    Absolutely use the safe while in the car. The temps shouldn't be a factor, either hot or cold. I'd think that the pistol being locked away in the padded vehicle safe the temp will be a few degrees warmer and cooler than the interior of the vehicle on average. I have nothing to back this though.

As far as some form of defense. I'd get some good OC spray and maybe even a expanding baton if that's legal in your area, anything is better than nothing. Good luck to you!

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by treebark View Post

your all good my friend. I can't carry in the hospital so my baby stays locked up in the car all day. Winter, summer, rain, shine. Just keep her clean and oiled she won't care. Change out the ammo at least twice a year though just to be safe. Just remember to keep the holster with you I still remember the freezing IWB holster I put on the first time I left the CCW in the car

Also if its really cold out you should dry off any condensation after it warms up to body temp. For defense to and from car I have my CRKT pocket knife I'm allowed cause I am a tech.

While the cold and hot temps shouldn't hurt your gun, some leather holsters may be affected especially in hot, humid weather. Other than that you should be fine, and of course use that safe.

Temp is not an issue for a gun and ammo stored in a car. Get a car safe and you'll be fine.
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    I am in the same boat sir. I live where it has been -12 below the otherday and in the summer time it can reach 110 F. I keep my firearm in my pickup in a com safe until I head home after work where I then strap it back on and take in the house. It seems like more of a chore but if I ever need I know it will be good to have. I also carry some kimber oc spray just incase I leave it in pickup and for the walk to to my vehicle in the parking lot.

I'll say this, if a firearm can't tolerate 'extreem' tempture changes then get a better one. They should be built to fight, even in extreem conditions.
    Locked in 'car-sized' lock-box is probley a good place if crime isn't too big an issue/fear. Don't want it stolen.......not good at all.
    I have the same issue, no guns at work (Navy base).........can't even have it in the car.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Mine gets locked in the safe in the car all day. Heat, cold, humid, dry, it doesn't matter. When I get out of the car at work, I lock up my gun and transfer my knife to my strong side pocket.
    -Tony

"Those who beat their guns into plowshares will plow for those who didn't." -- Thomas Jefferson

Realize that most guns spend time in UPS or FedEx trucks. The stork does not deliver them. They have been exposed to hot and cold.

Quote Originally Posted by jhh3rd View Post
    Realize that most guns spend time in UPS or FedEx trucks. The stork does not deliver them. They have been exposed to hot and cold.
    Yeah, but the UPS Stork doesn't deliver with bullets in it fresh in from the cold with condensation just in time to be used in defense.

And that I guess was my biggest concern, temperature changes causing failures when needed, but sounds like that concern is minimal if even existent.

Now to decide if my pacsafe is good enough or to get a different style of safe for the car.

That, and decide if OC spray is worth it for when I can't carry the gun. I already carry a knife. I always thought OC spray wasn't too practical with the wind, but I know they have streams and gels now so maybe it warrants some research.

Thanks all!

VIP Member
    I agree that temperature isn't an issue.

I have a safe bolted to the floor of my truck, much stronger than a COM safe and only cost $35.00.

ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by youngda9 View Post
    Temp is not an issue for a gun and ammo stored in a car. Get a car safe and you'll be fine.
    This.
    Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    If you are living your life worried about being a victim all the time and not enjoying life to the fullest, you are already a victim...
    -You don't know what you don't see-

1*

NRA Member

I don't know your job or the laws in your state, but if the concern is for the ammo. Could you carry your magazine of ammo IWB while at work while leaving the gun in the car and have a "room temperature" mag of ammo? Just a thought.
    Kel-Tec P-3at, Taurus PT-908, Glock 17, Glock 19, Glock 26, Kel-Tec SUB-2000 9mm (Glock 17 mag compatible),Kel-Tec PF-9, Ruger SP-101 2 barrel hammerless, Maverick Arms 88 Security 8-shot 12 gauge, Marlin 336W .30-30 Win., Rossi Model 92 SRC .357 Mag.

Temperture changes can affect the performance of ammo. But in a self defense close range situation you will not notice the difference.
    Do not worry about your ammo unless you are shooting 100 yards.
    I have ammo that has been frozen and warmed up several times over time. It always goes BANG.

Semper Fi

Keep your gun in the car...you'll be good to go!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links