Accosted by another driver today-AAR

This is a discussion on Accosted by another driver today-AAR within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife and baby, (well he's 22 and 6'3" 280, he's still my baby) were pulling out of a car dealer parking lot onto to ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Accosted by another driver today-AAR

Angry Accosted by another driver today-AAR

My wife and baby, (well he's 22 and 6'3" 280, he's still my baby) were pulling out of a car dealer parking lot onto to a two way side street. To my left I observed a red Ford Explorer with 5 occupants, 1 a child turn right out of a drive way, floor it, fish tail recklessly towards us, causing me to emergency stop pulling out of the dealership driveway. As he came towards us, I raised my arms in a *** shoulder shrug. He slammed on the brakes, stopped in front of me just as I was half way through my right turn. I was in a 1999 Ford Super Duty Crew Cab 8' box 4X4 which is a long vehicle. He exited his vehicle and approached my drivers window in an aggressive manner. He was screaming, waving his hands (which were empty) charging towards me. I rolled down my window as he came up to my vehicle. He was screaming obscenities, asking me what I was going to do about it, and screaming, saying go ahead call the cops. I do not recall if I stated anything to him as he ranted, but he finally ran back to his vehicle, turned right on to a four lane major street fish tailing and departing at a high rate of speed.
    1) I did not get a license plate number because my eyes were on him all the time
    2)I know his hands were empty because I watch hands very carefully, especially the palms.
    3)I was armed at the time with a Glock 19 OWB with Hornady Critical defense rounds, and 4 full spare mags.
    4) I had a J frame .357 magnum in my left front pant pocket as a bug.
    5)I did not draw because he did not have a weapon in his hands, nor did he ever ball them up in an aggressive manner.
    What I would like to know is what I should have done different, right and wrong. I am an Iowa Correctional Officer, which is not a LEO or sworn position.
    I should have told the wife to get the plate number when he first stopped before he reached our vehicle. I should not have rolled down my window. Should I have drawn and presented his nose to the end of my G19 and then called 911 to report the incident? I would appreciate CONSTRUCTIVE criticism. Also reviews of what I did right. I am viewing this as an after action review so should it happen again I may react in a better manner than this time. The laws of the State of Iowa apply to this situation
    When the chips are down, only hits count

Train as you fight, fight as you train.
    Sig 220-45,Sig 225-9mm,Sig 226-.40,Bernelli M1,Bernelli Nova, SW 4340-.40
    Glock 19,Llama Mini .45,U-238 WMD, (so the anti's say),and others

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Gosh, I think you did pretty well. I agree on not rolling down the window, getting the plate and calling 911.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Hard to know. Could you have safely driven away, either by going around or backing up? Pulling your gun would have been absolutely the wrong thing to do. Always good to have a non-lethal alternative like pepper spray on hand, though.
    A traffic ticket is formal recognition of a lapse in situational awareness.

Good restraint from brandishing or cussing back saying you have guns on you. IMO, he did the right thing by walking away before something went terribly wrong. Some people just dont realize who they're messing with until its too late.
    Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    If you are living your life worried about being a victim all the time and not enjoying life to the fullest, you are already a victim...
    -You don't know what you don't see-

1*

NRA Member

Over all you did really well. You already know your biggest loss was not recording the license #.

Drawing, and pointing your sidearm at him, would have been a poor choice. As you said, he had empty hands open in a "non threatening" manner, even if the rest of his body language was threatening. Keeping you hand on your weapon, or even drawing and keeping the gun out of his immediate sight but ready for a quick response would be the way I would go.

I would have left the window rolled up. By rolling down the window, you risk escalating the issue.

Yes, getting his license plate # would have been the best. You could have reported it to the police and it would matter IF you are willing to go to court to testify against him.

After the incident, write down every detail you can remember for future reference in the event of a court hearing.
    ~Coriantan~

"When seconds count, the police are only minutes away." * "Don't bring a knife to a gun fight."

Great job!

Only thing I would like to think I would have done different (im not as calm as you were ) is to kill him with kindness.

There is another parent in the carpool line I visit with from time to time and he is with Houston PD. A similar thing happened to him the other day, in uniform no less, and he just killed the guy with Merry Christmas and such. He had his son do the same, but the idiot keep screaming nasty words at him. I should mention that the LEO's vehicle has dark tinted windows . He was eventually put in a position where he could not get away and had to confront the idiot. He basically told him to apologize to his son or go to jail. Then he wished him a Merry Christmas once again.

Point is its better to go the calm route when able. I think you did a fantastic job, other than the window, and handled it very well.
    Andy
    You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas - David Crockett
    When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

By focusing on his hands you probably narrowed your vision field to a small field of view. Always try to do a total scan to see if anyone else is coming up or getting into the conflict.

Depending on how close he was. Lowering your window while not drawing your weapon if he was close put you within striking range. Having the window up helps defuse the situation.

Also as soon as he stopped you should have called 911. When he stopped he was illelgally detaining you and put you and your family in danger.
    The Second Amendment is about the right to be able to protect oneself from all who would do us harm including Legislators!

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone Else's blood, don't care if I go out the same way

Strange thing feeling threatened when you're inside a vehicle. At the same time you're protected to a degree by the vehicle itself and vulnerable to fire if unable to move the vehicle, as you can't move your position much inside the vehicle.

I agree with Thumper on his thoughts for improvement. I would have had the wife on the phone the whole time with the cops, just in case. Odds are if he was flying off the handle with you, he'd do it again with someone else and the outcome could be worse. Sometimes a few nights in jail give perspective.

Couldn't tell if you were blocked in or not- if not, then I would have just driven away and left him yelling like an idiot at my fumes.

To be honest, if he had me blocked in and I thought I could pull my gun out of the holster and keep it out of his view, I probably would have. I'm often carrying strong side IWB, which makes it a little harder to draw in my car. This would have given me the ability to aim and fire in the blink of an eye if he did in fact go for a weapon. Other than drawing a weapon I wouldn't really care what displays of stupidity he did. He can break his fist on my car window for all I care- I can smile and nod with the best of them.

Next time, keep the windows rolled up and dial 911 as you are leaving the scene.

I was taught in my CHP class that in a situation like this, it is ok to brandish the weapon at your side as a means of letting the aggressor know you have it, but as soon as you pull it up and point it then you have engaged in a situation that you may have to answer for at a later time. I still think you did well by not losing control and grabbing at guns.
    Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    If you are living your life worried about being a victim all the time and not enjoying life to the fullest, you are already a victim...
    -You don't know what you don't see-

1*

NRA Member

From what you have shared, I'd say you did just fine. It's hard to decide exactly what to do when approached by 'potential dirtbags'...this one turned out OK.
    I probably would have done the same.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    The shrug was not needed - sure, he was an idiot, but I doubt such folks often drop to their knees and beg forgiveness when they see such a gesture. Not to say it wasn't understandable - just that it wasn't needed. And without it, he would likely have kept on going.

+1 on getting dear wife on the phone and having her get a license plate.

But these are details: you got to go home that evening. Bravo!
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Sounds like you made the best of the incident. As others have stated don't roll down the windows. Also watching his hands is good but remember he doesn't have to make a fist to strike you. Open hand strikes hurt also.
    Semper Fi

I guess I blew it the other day. I was pulling into our Home depot and this guy come flying up to a stop sign on a side street scids to a stop almost hitting my expensive F250 powerstroke truck. I did the shoulder and arm thing at him. Well he then flips me off, so I flip him off back. He then comes out of his truck. I wasnt carryng at the time so that wasnt even an option. I didnt want him hitting my truck or breaking the window, so I jumped out. Well I'm 6'2" and 225 and can handle myself and figured I better be outside my truck where I can at least be ready. Well when he saw I was twice his size he did a fast turn around and hauled a$$. Should I have just played cool and let him do his thing. It was a knee jerk reaction to shrug my shoulders at him. Its hard for me to just sit there and do nothing.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    AAR= ??

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Links