Should a Mother Carry a Gun?

This is a discussion on Should a Mother Carry a Gun? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Allow me to preach to the choir for a moment and share something that's been weighing heavily on my mind. I know that most of ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Should a Mother Carry a Gun?

Senior Moderator

Allow me to preach to the choir for a moment and share something that's been weighing heavily on my mind. I know that most of the members here are with me on this but for the few out there who may never have considered this topic (perhaps the new, unwed member) I want them to know how one mother feels. Maybe when they have a wife and young child one day they will remember what I've had to say here today.

Anyone who follows my videos online knows that I am not particularly sensitive. My thick skin allows me to sluff off the negative comments and continue on my way.

However, when a fellow concealed carrier agreed that a mother should not be carrying a gun a little fire got lit under my backside and I felt I needed to speak up. Not just for myself and my own ideals but for all mothers who have accepted the responsibility of defending their lives and the lives of their children.

The western idea of motherhood is still suffering, it seems, from a “Cleaverville” mentality that Mommy dearest stays at home cooking dinner in a frilly apron and climbs on top of chairs at the sight of a mouse, depending on her fedora-wearing husband to rescue her from all peril.

Truth be told, I with that were true. I wish I could be the frilly, lace-wearing mother who vacuums in high-heels and doesn’t think or conceive that bad things can happen to her or her children outside of a burnt bunt-cake and bad grades.

The truth, of course, is a much more ugly reality. No, there are not rapists, murders and child molesters pounding down our door but it’s a very sobering reality that wakes me up to the fact that we no longer live in a world where a woman with a child is looked on tenderly and left to herself. Often they are victimized, their children kidnapped, themselves harmed, with total disregard to the lives shattered.

I’ve watched videos of WalMart and grocery store security cameras where children are snatched right out of shopping carts or mothers from the parking lots. Women and children and victimized along with all others and sometimes to a much more devastating degree.

In an increasing violent society the increase in response cannot be expected from the police, the public or even husbands (if a man is even present in the household to begin with).

No, the increase in awareness, preparation and response can be expected only from the individual in whose care is placed the delicate life of a child: the mother.

Yet some have the audacity to say we mothers should not be armed. That we are somehow unfit to protect ourselves and our children just because we gave birth. What is it about giving birth that suddenly transmits a woman from a world of strength and equality to a place where she is looked on as fragile, timid and unfit for the role of protector?

I’ll tell you what. The day a man gives birth after twenty-four straight hours of heavy labor and and addition two hours of pushing without the aid of any medication will be the day he can give me an opinion on what kinds of things I can handle. Until then I would prefer he allow me to think for myself.

Certainly, there have been strides made in the area of accepting mothers into “a man’s world.” The areas of self-defense are no different. But based on the comments I both heard and read I feel we still have a long way to go.

I am not the only mother taking the responsibility of defense seriously. There is a wave of mothers across the country who are sick of feeling helpless and taking an active step forward in the defense of themselves and their little ones.

I am encouraged to see women, potential mothers, young and even seasoned mothers, getting training and standing up to rash violence that is encroaching on their families. Weather it be through the use of hand-to-hand defense classes, non-lethal tools like tasers and pepper sprays, or firearms, I am seeing a trend that is defiantly standing up to violence.

We have all heard the analogy of the mother bear who will stop at nothing to defend her cub. So many times we have seen that same instinct in human mothers who stand against impressive odds in defense of their babies. Yet, I’ve seen a social shying away from the idea that they can be armed, clear-headed, concise, exhibiting clear and calculated judgment in a confrontational situation.

It isn’t stopping them, however, from getting training or purchasing guns, emailing me asking for holster advice or to say “thank you” for standing up for something they’ve secretly been doing for years.

I would beg the skeptics to open their eyes and see a world where children and mothers need protection like never before. One in eight girls will be molested before they are eighteen and the same will happen to one in six boys. Next time you go to the post office or to WalMart I want you to look at the Missing Children board and try to picture your child’s face, name, and description on one of those pages. Now ask yourself if you’d rather have a trained woman guarding your child or a woman who has been discouraged by your skepticism, doubt and misgivings?

I would ask you to look beyond the diaper bags, cuddling, teddy bears and blankets and see strong women determined to give all for the little ones they love. Encourage mothers to train and prepare for an emergency we all hope never occurs. Teach them to embrace that mother-bear instinct rather than repress it. Don’t think of us as liabilities but as allies and bodyguards for your future, for your children.

To mothers who are actively exercising your rights and your wishes to defend yourself and your children: I encourage you to continue to stand up for yourself and that which you hold most dear.

Train. Prepare. And carry on.

2. Remove Ads

my mom has her GFL she hasnt carried yet though.....
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

I wish my wife would carry, but she's not comfortable with it. Pepper spray will help...I'm buying us both some tomorrow.
    Last edited by BugDude; December 24th, 2009 at 03:56 AM. Reason: added comments to icon
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Thumbs up

I will be reading this to my wife in the morning on the trip to the folks for Christmas Eve.

She does NOT like guns, but carries knives with amazing regularity. I'm working on the guns thing though...

I appreciate the idea of a strong, independent woman. I married one. I wouldn't have her any other way.

When I see her haul out her chainsaw (Christmas present two years ago) and lay into the woodpile, I smile.

That's my Wife!

Thanks again for the boost to their strengths and their confidence,

EvilMonk
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Don’t mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

Quote Originally Posted by EvilMonk View Post
    When I see her haul out her chainsaw (Christmas present two years ago) and lay into the woodpile, I smile.
    I'm very impressed...and evious!!! I may have to show this thread to my wife too.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Only if she's a bad mother-shut yo mouth!

Seriously, what on Earth could his rationale be? Are all women unfit to carry a gun, or just those that have given birth?

I fervently hope it wasn't a DC member - I'd like to think we're all a little more enlightened than that.

Now, put your burqa back on, and get back in the kitchen Lima! You know breeding stock.... er.... women folk shouldn't try and operate computers - it just confuses them!

Joe

Having a firearm and knowing how to use it levels the field and elevates the user to one of the most deadly creatures on the planet. "Should Moms be armed?" Absolutely, they should be armed as often as their male counterparts, if she has one that is. I would imagine most predators are looking for the easy target and they naturally think of the female and the timid as an easy mark. It does my heart good when I see the news and it shows some dirtbag taken down by someone they underestimated. I say, more power to our female concealed carry shooters. I wish my wife was one of um.

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    Yet some have the audacity to say we mothers should not be armed. That we are somehow unfit to protect ourselves and our children just because we gave birth. What is it about giving birth that suddenly transmits a woman from a world of strength and equality to a place where she is looked on as fragile, timid and unfit for the role of protector?
    Could it be the ignorance that some have about guns? Perhaps they are afraid of the "gun going off" and harming a child.
    America: Your government is not ignoring you, it's insulting you.

The Bill of Rights: Void where prohibited by law.

I am starting a new group, H.A.F.F.A.M......Husbands And Fathers For Armed Mothers!.... now If I could get my wife to carry.... :-) I got her to look at a SIG P238 (rainbow finished one with rosewood grips) and she really thought it was nice - and it matches her purse.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Yes!

The primary reason I started carrying was because I became a mother. Up to that point I pretty much felt that should a situation arise I could, for the most part, take care of myself (fighting back, running, etc). However, once that little person came along I realized that neither was a viable option. Running became a nowayinhell option and fighting back meant a need for some mechanical means, thus a firearm.
    I wish I could say I hesitated with the decision, but I didn't. I saw it as a tool to protect my daughter and thus a necessary thing to have. I wasn't a single mother but I was a military wife with a husband that spent more time deployed then at home and this just strengthened my determination to keep both of us safe so that we would be there for him when he got home.

If our personal safety is a good reason to carry a firearm then isn’t the safety of the child we labored to bring into this world the ultimate reason to do so?

~on a side note – that “baby” is now a 20 year old young lady that has been shooting since she was eight, is counting the days until she can get her CPL and practices regularly with a G19 that will legally become hers on her 21st birthday and I still carry every single day~

~DA~
    Manicures: $40
    Pedicures: $60
    Range time + ammo: $50
    Quality mother/daughter time: PRICELESS

I imagine that many see the mother as being with the kids all day and worry about the gun left unattended around the kids. But this is retarded. You don't hear them speaking out against swimming pools! A 1,000 children drown every year because they were unattended in a pool but guns are the only things people seem to fear or talk about.

Woman do not routinely run off an leave a child alone with a hot iron, a hot stove top, an unlocked open door to the stairs or street, a curling iron on the edge of the bathtub, matches nor knives laying around.

Why is it that people only fear guns and when guns are so disproportionately the cause of harm and when in the hand of a law abiding citizen- do so much good. Yes a woman should carry a gun. It should be strapped to her in all of her waking hours and in a biometric lock box on the nightstand when she sleeps.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    sorry lima...but i didnt comprehend a thing after i read "I wish I could be the frilly, lace-wearing mother who vacuums in high-heels "....i got guy brain freeze just from the image...

good read...

My mom has her CCW and carries. She comes across as a sheep but she will shoot your butt in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    If you are living your life worried about being a victim all the time and not enjoying life to the fullest, you are already a victim...
    -You don't know what you don't see-

1*

NRA Member

I encouraged my wife who is also a mom to get her concealed carry license. She was a little nervous carrying at first but is fine now. Makes me feel better too when I am not with her.

Anyone who follows my videos online knows that I am not particularly sensitive. My thick skin allows me to sluff off the negative comments and continue on my way.

However, when a fellow concealed carrier agreed that a mother should not be carrying a gun a little fire got lit under my backside and I felt I needed to speak up. Not just for myself and my own ideals but for all mothers who have accepted the responsibility of defending their lives and the lives of their children.
    Whoever it was is an idiot. Sorry, just the way I see it.

The western idea of motherhood is still suffering, it seems, from a “Cleaverville” mentality that Mommy dearest stays at home cooking dinner in a frilly apron and climbs on top of chairs at the sight of a mouse, depending on her fedora-wearing husband to rescue her from all peril.

Truth be told, I with that were true. I wish I could be the frilly, lace-wearing mother who vacuums in high-heels and doesn’t think or conceive that bad things can happen to her or her children outside of a burnt bunt-cake and bad grades.

The truth, of course, is a much more ugly reality. No, there are not rapists, murders and child molesters pounding down our door but it’s a very sobering reality that wakes me up to the fact that we no longer live in a world where a woman with a child is looked on tenderly and left to herself. Often they are victimized, their children kidnapped, themselves harmed, with total disregard to the lives shattered.

I’ve watched videos of WalMart and grocery store security cameras where children are snatched right out of shopping carts or mothers from the parking lots. Women and children and victimized along with all others and sometimes to a much more devastating degree.
    We do live in a society with fewer and fewer restraints on what is acceptable among some groups. Everyone is at risk. There are few rules for BGs.

In an increasing violent society the increase in response cannot be expected from the police, the public or even husbands (if a man is even present in the household to begin with).

No, the increase in awareness, preparation and response can be expected only from the individual in whose care is placed the delicate life of a child: the mother.

Women are incredibly strong, in many ways they are much stronger than men.

We have all heard the analogy of the mother bear who will stop at nothing to defend her cub. So many times we have seen that same instinct in human mothers who stand against impressive odds in defense of their babies. Yet, I’ve seen a social shying away from the idea that they can be armed, clear-headed, concise, exhibiting clear and calculated judgment in a confrontational situation.
    I don't see nature de-clawing mother bears after the cubs are born. And, it shouldn't. That is when they need those claws the most. Without them, it will only be a matter of time until their own lives, and the lives of their young, will be forfeited.

I would beg the skeptics to open their eyes and see a world where children and mothers need protection like never before. One in eight girls will be molested before they are eighteen and the same will happen to one in six boys. Next time you go to the post office or to WalMart I want you to look at the Missing Children board and try to picture your child’s face, name, and description on one of those pages. Now ask yourself if you’d rather have a trained woman guarding your child or a woman who has been discouraged by your skepticism, doubt and misgivings?
    That brings it home in a very personal way.

Great post, LT. I just can't imagine why a man who will protect himself and his family would ever consider not having the same option available to his wife.
    Last edited by miklcolt45; December 24th, 2009 at 08:04 AM. Reason: add sentence
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links