Defensive Carry banner

It is all O.K.-- No Body is Home

3K views 35 replies 32 participants last post by  JayHawker45 
#1 ·
So, my family and myself arrive home from dinner. We do the regular thing, park, let the kids out, and head into the house. Tonight"s different! My wife approachs the front door first and immediately calls out," The front door is open". I do a fast rush to the entry so i can head off the children, (they are excited the door is open-they want first experience!) and try to access the situation. I enter the front door and do a shake down of the house. I do not draw my weapon, just kept my hand on my waist, as to not to cause alarm. To be honest when my wife called -the open door line, my thoughts were " We left it unlocked, as we left in a hurry for dinner". If I had any other thoughts I would have called the Police.
It is situations like this that make CC worth the trouble! I mean everyday I DRESS my waistline, make sure I have a clean line. Then a single moment comes and I for once feel..............
I can do something.

#3 ·
It's a bit un-nerving to see this. I came home from work one day and my door was open about 4 inches. I immediately thought one of my girls didnt latch it all the way and the wind opened it some, but i also thought i need to clear the house and check for stolen items. I went through every room and closet and everything seemed to be fine. Times like this is definitely nice to have a firearm handy.

#5 ·
Several years ago, before I carried, I was alone in the house early one morning. I woke and had to do that early morning "thing". As I walked to the bathroom, I heard a door slam downstairs. Well, that took care of "that early morning thing"! I ran downstairs (STUPID!) and discovered the back door standing open about 6"! I believe the sound of me moving around scared off an invader. WHEW!!!

Since I got my CWP, I either carry all the time, or if I'm at home, it's never far away. It ain't no good unless you got it!

I'm glad your situation turned out well.

CAVEAT: If you have ANY reason to believe someone is really in your house, do NOT attempt to clear it yourself. It's EXTREMELY dangerous Get to a safe area and dial 911 - let the pros handle it - they're trained and paid.

#6 ·
I beleive my wife and myself left the front door open. We left in a rush and forgot to lock the door. The lock and door were sound, my expensive Omega watch was still on my dresser, the computer was still there, BUT THE FRUIT CAKE WAS MISSING!!

#15 ·
If you ever call 911 for assistance don't be surprised if they find nothing. By the time they get there in almost all cases the invader is gone.

I have never seen a trained LEO team clear a house. They usually ask you if you saw anyone enter or leave the house. They will then either just walk in and go from room to room looking or call for backup.

You will find that most of the small town police forces don't get the proper ongoing training needed to properly clear a house.

#17 ·
I agree that you let the LEOs clear the house. I don't carry so that I can save my stuff, I carry so that I can save my family. If they may be inside and we are all outside then my vehicle is the best means for me to protect them. Sorry Cat and Dog, you're on your own!

#18 ·
I'm not sure how to take what I've read here, but I know my thoughts.

Frankly, before beginning to carry take care of the basic security chores, you know, like LOCKING THE DOOR WHEN YOU LEAVE!!!

It's total lunacy to overlook locking your home simply because you are in a hurry....

But then, I wonder if someone didn't set this up just to get rid of a fruitcake...hmmm....:rofl:

#19 ·
Some people will go to extremes to get rid of the fruitcake.:rofl:

#20 ·
I've found that you just can't trust a fruitcake. Too many nuts.

#21 ·
If it was Georgia Fruitcake (my wife's relatives own the company) then it was a real bad thing and I'd be calling the cops!

Georgia Fruit Cake Company - Home Page (shameless plug for GA Fruitcake)

A Claxton Fruitcake would be no great loss.

Seriously, coming home to an open front door would not be a good thing. I can only imagine.

#22 ·
This past Thanksgiving my wife and I dropped off a lady from church at her son's, while we passed through going to my folks. When we returned we picked her up and got her home. She invite us in to see her house, having been gone 4 days my wife says sure and we can do a saftey check at the same time. I did not even think about it, nice to have the ole .45 handy and I am glad my wife thought about it.

Semper Fi

#26 ·
Fruit Cake was missing, then it was an in-law, no body else would leave the watch, puter and just take the fruit cake. It was a relative pure and simple.:wink:

#29 ·
I can't say that I wouldn't have cleared the house my self but... if I was asked for advise I'd always say let the police do it. :wink:

#31 ·
I would not recommend clearing the house yourself. Let the local PD get shot first, right? Truth is, most of them have no more training than the average CCW holder, oftentimes less. But they do have K-9s, body armor and back-up available.

On the other hand, I can't say that I haven't cleared my own house. I do have pretty extensive training in this and have actually trained my wife and father in the same techniques. BTW, house clearing in a combat zone can be expected to produce 70% casualties on official military operational risk planning tables. (Which, by the way, just goes to show what an absolutely incredible job our military has done in Iraq!) However, even the most experienced should not clear a house alone. Room clearing techniques are pretty much without exception taught for a minimum team of two. Usually four or more.

That said, it's your house, your life, your choice.

Just for fun:

IMPROVISED HOUSE CLEARING TECHNIQUE
-Slowly approach door to each room
-If door is already open, slice the pie cautiously and be prepared to fire immediately. If pie-slice reveals no threat, make stealth dual entry and sweep the room. If pie-slicing reveals a target, take action.
-If door is closed, light the fuse on a strand of firecrackers.
-Rapidly open door and toss firecrackers in while instantly retracting back away from the fatal funnel.
-Once firecrackers go bang, make your dual entry with a high-power flashlight
-First member goes in, immediately crossing out of the fatal funnel to the near wall, moving back against the wall, quickly and smoothly slicing the pie and addressing threats
-Second member follows immediately, performing a mirror action of the first.
-Maintain geometry of fires to avoid fratricide.

Or just rent the original Rainbow Six for N64 and do what they do. (I'm only halfway kidding! That game was pretty advanced in its portrayals of actual tactics. I often wondered if my MOUT instructors had just played the game and then written their TTPs from it.)

Legal Disclaimer: USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR ACTIONS SHOULD YOU EMPLOY THE TECHNIQUES HEREIN DESCRIBED. IF YOU HAVE AN EMERGENCY IN WHICH YOU SUSPECT YOUR HOME HAS BEEN INTRUDED, CONTACT LOCAL LAW ENFORCEMENT IMMEDIATELY AND DO NOT ENTER THE HOME.

Semper Fi

#32 ·
I have had a similar experience where we left the door open.. its a bit un-nerving. My wife had a startling one the other day, I had installed a new anti-virus program on the downstairs computer. As she came down the stairs about 6am she heard a mans voice from the kitchen. She sent the dogs down and came down weapon in hand to find the computer saying the AV program had been updated... always turn down the speakers...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.