Blind CCH holder

This is a discussion on Blind CCH holder within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife and I have always been shooters and I have had my CCH for some time now. Recently our home was broken into while ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blind CCH holder

Blind CCH holder

My wife and I have always been shooters and I have had my CCH for some time now.
    Recently our home was broken into while we were on vacation. My wife has felt insecure since then and I have encouraged her to have a weapon around the house when I am away. She has since then thought about getting her CCH to carry outside the house.
    This is interesting in that she is legally blind. She can make out forms shapes and see faces up close, but other than that her vision is severly limited.
    I have encouraged here to go for it and then train within the limits of here vision. My thinking is if she were accosted it would be at very close range and she would be abler to make a com shot at that distance. She is pretty good at shooting to com out to about 10'
    Thought I might see what your other opinions might be.
    Thanks and best wishes.

2. Remove Ads

She's not living in a world of darkenss, she would be able to see the image attacking her and end the threat. I say she should get her permit and practice within her limitations.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I hope she is able to get her permit. It's pretty easy to tell who the BG is when someone is attacking you. At longer distances though she may need to call out to have the person audibly identify themselves. If they are in your house and not responding then shots should be fired. Perhaps a safe word for you and your family.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

I believe she should continue to train to protect herself in her home according to her capabilities. As for a license to carry outside the home, I would not be in favor of that. Are you even sure Kansas will license a legally blind person? Plenty to consider here.

Hmm, tough question. I wholeheartedly support her right to be armed, no differently than anyone else.

As a practical matter, I'd wonder about her questionable ability to follow the basic safety rules of shooting, particularly:

Know your target and what is beyond.
    Be absolutely sure you have identified your target beyond any doubt. Equally important, be aware of the area beyond your target. This means observing your prospective area of fire before you shoot. Never fire in a direction in which there are people or any other potential for mishap. Think first. Shoot second.

kpw
    My blind step-dad has been carrying for nearly 20 years. He is more aware of his limitations than any of us could be. Work within her limitations to set reasonable limits on what she can and can't do with it and practice within those limits.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by kpw View Post
    Work within her limitations to set reasonable limits on what she can and can't do with it and practice within those limits.
    +1...I agree completely. I'm not sure she will be able to achieve CCW status, but that should NOT preclude her from training and learning to defend herself while in her home. I wish her the best.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    I believe she should continue to train to protect herself in her home according to her capabilities. As for a license to carry outside the home, I would not be in favor of that. Are you even sure Kansas will license a legally blind person? Plenty to consider here.
    +1!

I can shoot bullseyes on rifle targets that I can't see. If she can see basic shapes she ought to be able to shoot people she can barely see. If they give you trouble over licensing, consider hiring an attorney.

Quote Originally Posted by dnowell View Post
    I can shoot bullseyes on rifle targets that I can't see. If she can see basic shapes she ought to be able to shoot people she can barely see. If they give you trouble over licensing, consider hiring an attorney.
    Being able to trick shoot paper targets with your eyes closed hardly makes it sensible to license a legally blind person to carry a loaded firearm in public places and to risk the chance he or she will mis-identify a possible threat or fail to be aware of innocents in the line of fire. Is it even possible for someone legally blind to satisfy the training requirements for licensing? I'd certainly hate to see what the anti gun people could make of it if we start licensing blind people to carry concealed and something tragic does happen as a result. Being blind is very sad and blind people have all my sympathies but carrying a gun for self defense in public should require you to be able to see and identify your threat and the people nearby who could possibly be hurt as well.

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    Being able to trick shoot paper targets with your eyes closed hardly makes it sensible to license a legally blind person to carry a loaded firearm in public places and to risk the chance he or she will mis-identify a possible threat or fail to be aware of innocents in the line of fire. Is it even possible for someone legally blind to satisfy the training requirements for licensing? I'd certainly hate to see what the anti gun people could make of it if we start licensing blind people to carry concealed and something tragic does happen as a result. Being blind is very sad and blind people have all my sympathies but carrying a gun for self defense in public should require you to be able to see and identify your threat and the people nearby who could possibly be hurt as well.
    She can just come to WA state and we'll just give it to her after she pays the ~$55 for it.

Thank you much for you thoughts and suggestions.
    Even thought those against are diffictult to accept, they have some real thoughts for concern.
    On the other hand, that was why I stated she would train within her limitations which is believe would be crucial.
    Obviously, target ID is crucial here and that is the obvious difficulty here. It is the thing we are working on at this point.
    It seems we are talking about a situation where the BG has already attacked and is totally identifiable. Her situation, may be little different than you and me having a confrontation in the dark.
    As to the question, will the state allow a lisence; I don't know the answer.
    At this point she is not prepared to carry in public even if she was lisenced, as she has had no training.
    Please don't hesitate to share any other pros or cons weith your thoughts. Thanks, and God's blessings for the holiday.

I think If she is interested and obviously understands her limitations than by all means give it a try......Good Luck....everyone has a right to protect themselves....

Just curious as to why a firearm is the first choice. There are other options that are nearly as effective at stopping a threat that are also more forgiving in a misidentified situation.

Pepper spray, taser, hand to hand skills, all offer security but without the same liabilities as a firearm.

Remember, life threatening situation rarely occurs in optimum conditions. In low light with no contrast could she effectively target an assailant? Pepper spray allows for a broad coverage of an area and is quite disabling. A properly applied arm lock can break an assailants arm as well as their desire to continue an attack.

Not saying that she shouldn't consider concealed carry, but it should be considered after other tools are added to the tool bag.

Good luck and keep us posted on her decisions.

my dads friend was shot int he face last friday he is legally blind but can drive a car with BiOptics iirc its called.... he lost some teeth and they killed his Pug :(

he has not gotten his GFL yet but is carrying now in his jacket in a small GA town where no one would care if he had a permit either way :P

Dog killed, Home owner shot in face....
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links