When I see a sign on a store that says "no weapons".......

This is a discussion on When I see a sign on a store that says "no weapons"....... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here is my observation. I will do this or that and to heck with them and their stinking laws or signs. You know, I'm all ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: When I see a sign on a store that says "no weapons".......

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Here is my observation. I will do this or that and to heck with them and their stinking laws or signs.

You know, I'm all in favor of our 2nd Amendment and myself and my better half own a few weapons and we believe in our right to CC and our right to defend ourselves with every fiber of our body.

I regress, back to your statement that you will go in irregardless of a sign or or because your concealed and they don't know it and some of the others who say all they can do is ask you to leave and no harm no foul in the basic sense of what I'm reading here.

Listen to yourself, what you do can and will sooner or later cause just as much harm to our movement to keep our guns, then some looney shooting someplace up. Because if you are caught or noticed, that individual will spread the word that we can't be trusted to obey the laws or wishes of those who don't like guns, so the antis will come after our guns with a fever and it's attitudes like your that will have given them the ammunition to do it, you say you were not seen, you say no one saw your weapon, that's cool partner, it only takes once and years and years of trying to win trust will be shot to heck in a hand basket.

I'm to old to start mincing words, say it and tell it like it is, either we learn or we will go down in the end and history has nothing to do with this, it's called common sense.

Think about it.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

2. Remove Ads

In Texas where incorect signs have no legal bearing, I think stores put them up just to make sheeple feel better. If they really didn't want CCWs then they would use the legal sign.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jem102 View Post
    In TN it is a criminal offense and can cause the loss of your permit if discovered. Not worth the risk to me.
    That is not necessarily true. There are several rules that the notice must meet in order to obligate you to the request legally.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jem102 View Post
    In TN it is a criminal offense and can cause the loss of your permit if discovered. Not worth the risk to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by OngngFreedom View Post
    But ONLY if "substantially similar" to the state's sign requirements:

"No Guns" and similar signs may be safely considered as "no open carry" signs, risking to be asked to leave if you choose to do so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agave View Post
    That is not necessarily true. There are several rules that the notice must meet in order to obligate you to the request legally.
    A caution to all about Tennessee: we have an Attorney General's opinion that says what "substantially similar" may or may not be, but not a precedent established by a court. Until that happens, the AG's opinion may or may not amount to a hill of beans.

As for the OP, I just don't give business to a place that denies my right to carry there.
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

VIP Member
    [QUOTE=bruce21b;1422311]unless it is a bank, post office, school, courthouse etc....I go in anyway....

I just don't understand a lot of these threads i see on different forums when people see these signs and turn around and leave......

I understand the idea of not wanting to spend money at an "anti gun" establishment.....but if its a place where you are going to save money by shopping there, why not????

my handgun is concealed, and unless i remove my jacket and shirt no one is ever going to know im carrying.....

and as far as "breaking the law" goes.....sure if you go into one of the above-mentioned places its automatic arrest....but in a retail business, at least in my state, all the owner can do is ask you to leave.....which is what i would do if that ever happens.......and if you refuse can be hit with a trespass.......

Fools rush in
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

I wonder how much the insurance companies have to do with the signs we see?
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Here in MI the worst that can happen is they can ask you to leave if they see or think they see a weapon. Don't leave they police can charge you with trespassing.
    For me it is a matter of principal, and I respect a business owners decision to post these sign, by taking my money someplace else.
    In MI the economy is bad enough that if enough people refuse to shop in these places they won't need the signs for very long.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

I don't have a strong drive to respect those signs but I also do not want to spend money in a business that does not support the 2nd amendment.

If the sign says no carrying i normally will lock the gun in my glove box if i really need something and only going to be in and out. Otherwise I will go somewhere else. that will allow me to carry my gun in to there store
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    the way to be safe is never to be secure.
    Benjamin franklin

well for me, I have and will continue to move on down the road when I see a sign like that. I refuse to give a business one red cent that refuses me the right to carry a weapon into their business.

Here in MO, I can leave these cards at the "no guns allowed" businesses - they are free to download and print out:

Free "No Guns, No Money" Cards

You can probably change the state name to yours.

2 stores that have a sign heard me talking to a friend who is a cop and we were talking about no ccw places in my town that we both live in. I said that if I get shot and killed,can my family sue the store for not protecting me from such harm????? The manager heard me talk and asked us both if we were ccwing and we both said yes. I was sitting in my wheelchair because of a amputation of right leg below the knee and he,my police friend showed his badge and city id. I even showed him my ccw permit and drivers license and he called main office and then sign came down 2 minutes later. Moral of incident is,,,,, threaten to sue incase the store or company doesnt have the means of protecting you from robery or shootings. richgp100z

Quote Originally Posted by falcon1 View Post
    A caution to all about Tennessee: we have an Attorney General's opinion that says what "substantially similar" may or may not be, but not a precedent established by a court. Until that happens, the AG's opinion may or may not amount to a hill of beans.

As for the OP, I just don't give business to a place that denies my right to carry there.
    Quote Originally Posted by OngngFreedom View Post
    But ONLY if "substantially similar" to the state's sign requirements:

"No Guns" and similar signs may be safely considered as "no open carry" signs, risking to be asked to leave if you choose to do so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agave View Post
    As "I" read the AG's opinion any wording that would pass the "reasonable man" test in getting the point across would be valid. I don't know and can't discern if the code numbers have to be stated and agree that the international no symbol alone as well as "No Guns" alone holds no weight. However most of the signs I see are worded to get "to the point" so any "reasonable man" would understand the intent thus making the signage legal. No matter, its their business/property, and if posted I am not going against their demand nor do I wish to become the test case as mentioned by falcon.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

If I put up a No Trespassing sign on my property I would expect the store owners to respect and obey the sign, therefore, if they put up a No Firearms sign I will respect their wishes and either disarm before entering or go elsewhere.

Do unto others------

MJK
    As Cardinalfan says, in MO we can be issued a "ticket" if asked to leave and we refuse. It's considered a misdemeanor, equivalent to a traffic citation.

The graphic standards for signs in MO are quite specific. Those that don't meet the standards (and very few do) might as well not even exist.

I follow the laws of my state exactly as they are stated.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links