When I see a sign on a store that says "no weapons".......

This is a discussion on When I see a sign on a store that says "no weapons"....... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; unless it is a bank, post office, school, courthouse etc....I go in anyway.... I just don't understand a lot of these threads i see on ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: When I see a sign on a store that says "no weapons".......

When I see a sign on a store that says "no weapons".......

unless it is a bank, post office, school, courthouse etc....I go in anyway....

I just don't understand a lot of these threads i see on different forums when people see these signs and turn around and leave......

I understand the idea of not wanting to spend money at an "anti gun" establishment.....but if its a place where you are going to save money by shopping there, why not????

my handgun is concealed, and unless i remove my jacket and shirt no one is ever going to know im carrying.....

and as far as "breaking the law" goes.....sure if you go into one of the above-mentioned places its automatic arrest....but in a retail business, at least in my state, all the owner can do is ask you to leave.....which is what i would do if that ever happens.......and if you refuse can be hit with a trespass.......

for example, went to my local Gamestop yesterday....they had a sign that said, no weapons.....i walked right in, purchased my game and left....my weapon concealed....

I have no intention of showing anyone my gun unless my life is in danger......

maybe some people might see it as "wrong".....but i don't....

thoughts on this from everyone??????????

2. Remove Ads

In TN it is a criminal offense and can cause the loss of your permit if discovered. Not worth the risk to me.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

Quote Originally Posted by jem102 View Post
    In TN it is a criminal offense and can cause the loss of your permit if discovered. Not worth the risk to me.
    In KY if asked to leave and you refuse, it is THEN a criminal offense

VIP Member
    North Carolina is the same way, rather than violate the law I will shop somewhere else even if it does cost a few dollars more.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

The best practice, and the only one I would recommend, is to be aware of state and federal laws, and carry wherever it is legal to do so.

Texas, for example, has very specific requirements for signs which prohibit concealed carry by license-holders in private businesses. If a sign doesn't meet the requirements, it has no force of law. Kentucky, obviously, has quite a different standard. It's essential to know and follow the laws wherever you happen to be.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    At the risk fo sounding like a jackaninny or a mall ninja, I AM the weapon. I have teeth, nails, elbows, feet, and a killer right hook. Yes, so is my gun, but I have a ram instrument on my keychain, too. WHAT, exactly, are they calling "weapon?"

If they say "no firearms" then they don't need my money, I will be happy to shop elsewhere. Saying "no weapons" is silly. Mine are kinda hard to remove, you know? ;)
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Quote Originally Posted by bruce21b View Post
    unless it is a bank, post office, school, courthouse etc....I go in anyway....

I just don't understand a lot of these threads i see on different forums when people see these signs and turn around and leave......
    SNIP
    maybe some people might see it as "wrong".....but i don't....

thoughts on this from everyone??????????
    To me, a state that outright bans you from entering a store with a firearm, such as my state, and a state that forces the owner to ask you to leave first if he notices you carrying, are two completely different things. I wouldn't hesitate to ignore a NO-CCW sign in your state, since it (seems to me) that it is legal to do so, but I would have no intention of messing around with any state that can yank my license just for entering a posted place of business...

-Bill

Signage isn't legally binding in Louisiana. I enter and shop like nothing happened. Now, odds are I won't be coming back...

Anything can be used as a weapon. A sharp pencil is a weapon, a t-shirt can be used as a weapon. Its just that some weapons take more skill to master (ex. t-shirt)

But ONLY if "substantially similar" to the state's sign requirements:

Pursuant to § 39-17-1359 , the owner/operator of this property has banned weapons on this property, or within this building or this portion of this building. Failure to comply with this prohibition is punishable as a criminal act under state law and may subject the violator to a fine of not more than five hundred dollars ($500).
    "No Guns" and similar signs may be safely considered as "no open carry" signs, risking to be asked to leave if you choose to do so.

In MO, if found with weapon you can or will be asked to leave. If you don't leave and if police are called, you are issued a $100 'ticket'. If police are called and you weren't asked to leave by the store, you 'could' be issued a ticket, but it won't hold up due to the legal ease of the law. Basically a 6 month 'probation'. If you get 3 of these, then you're done as far as your CCW goes. My CCW instructor explained this very carefully as he had it happen to him. Upon leaving said establishment, police were pulling up. They asked him if he was carrying and he said yes. The were going to issue the ticket and he reminded them he would see them in court as he was not asked to leave by management. LEO said, "you're right, have a nice day".

Quote Originally Posted by bruce21b View Post
    In KY if asked to leave and you refuse, it is THEN a criminal offense
    An then you can only be chanrged with misdemeanor trespass, which dosen't incurr the loss of your CDWL.
    I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit

In MN, the signs are a notification of the store owner's desires. If you violate it and are asked to leave, and do so, no violation. If you stay after they notify you you are in violation, it's a $25 find for petty misdemeanor trespass. No impact on your permit.

So, I carry wherever, but I don't like to patronize businesses that don't want me to be able to defend myself.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

Here in Washington, we just ignore such signs other than bars and court houses, etc... Anything that is not in the RCWs, you can just ignore them.

Most often ignored place that is posted in Washington, malls.

I fully support a business’s right to ban weapons on their property. However, I have no intentions of finically supporting them. I will be more than happy to drive a little further and even pay a little more to support a business that will respect my rights as much as I do theirs.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links