Georgia: How long prior to expiration date...

This is a discussion on Georgia: How long prior to expiration date... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi all, GA. issues(ed?) a 6 year CCW Permit. Mine expires later this year; how far prior to that date do you all think I ...

Thread: Georgia: How long prior to expiration date...

Question Georgia: How long prior to expiration date...

Hi all,

GA. issues(ed?) a 6 year CCW Permit. Mine expires later this year; how far prior to that date do you all think I should re-apply?

Thanks for the most educated input you may be able to provide. It's impossible to reach the Probate office short of going there; Alas, it may come down to that... I hate leaving my pistol in the truck!
    Eric Howland
    Savannah, GA.

2. Remove Ads

erh,Depending on which county you are in, It can take up to six weeks to get your new permit. I would apply at least thirty days early.

I don't know if there is an "official" how early answer but I don'tthink they would have a problem with appling four or six weeks before your permit expires.

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    ERH,

I wish I could help but I have not had to renew yet. I would say the earlier you do it the better.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

My cousin is in a LEO position and his took about a week and his was within a 30 day experation date. He just plain forgot and he was sweatin' it.
    I would give it a two month doorway. Better yet... call the S.O. and ask...
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

I’m assuming you are asking about the standard “Georgia Firearms License”, if so this is a 5 year license not 6 years. You may apply for renewal 90 days prior to expiration but check the site www.packing.org . It gives detailed info on renewal; there is a thread on its forum for Georgia that lists some members renewal and approval waits. It seems some of the “liberal” counties around and including the ATL take forever and the court clerks are disinterested.

I live in Dougherty Co. and the Probate Office 2 months ago advised me not to come in until 14 days prior to my expiration (which is in 2 weeks). I argued with them but the clerk was very nice and interrupted my rant and advised me that Judge Nancy Stephenson ran a very efficient office and that unless there was a problem with my background check the renewal will be sent out before my license would expire. Well, I have had dealings with this office before and for the last 14 years I’ve never had to wait for anything. The office staff is very pleasant and knowledgeable. While there yesterday I never heard a phone ring more than 3 times before it was answered.

I’ll report back when my renewal arrives.
    Pershing SIR!!

Georgia is renewed every 5 years. Like Frank said," It depends on the county you're in". If your county is fairly decent on the turn around, I'd give 30-60 days prior to renew.
    USMC '86-'92
    NRA Life, VFW Life
    Hell Yeah, I'm American !

My Goodness! I called today, after waiting the required 2 weeks from May 4th that Judge Stephenson requires here in Dougherty County, to check on my renewal. The Lady answered that my license renewal was approved that same day and has been there waiting for me to pick up!! WOW!! Same day service!!
    Pershing SIR!!

Quote Originally Posted by FrontSight
    I’m assuming you are asking about the standard “Georgia Firearms License”, if so this is a 5 year license not 6 years. You may apply for renewal 90 days prior to expiration but check the site www.packing.org . It gives detailed info on renewal; there is a thread on its forum for Georgia that lists some members renewal and approval waits. It seems some of the “liberal” counties around and including the ATL take forever and the court clerks are disinterested.

I live in Dougherty Co. and the Probate Office 2 months ago advised me not to come in until 14 days prior to my expiration (which is in 2 weeks). I argued with them but the clerk was very nice and interrupted my rant and advised me that Judge Nancy Stephenson ran a very efficient office and that unless there was a problem with my background check the renewal will be sent out before my license would expire. Well, I have had dealings with this office before and for the last 14 years I’ve never had to wait for anything. The office staff is very pleasant and knowledgeable. While there yesterday I never heard a phone ring more than 3 times before it was answered.

I’ll report back when my renewal arrives.
    Sure enough; 5 years it is..!
    Eric Howland
    Savannah, GA.

Quote Originally Posted by glkdawg.45
    Georgia is renewed every 5 years. Like Frank said," It depends on the county you're in". If your county is fairly decent on the turn around, I'd give 30-60 days prior to renew.
    Sure enough you're right - 5 years...
    Eric Howland
    Savannah, GA.

Links