handgunlaws.us error?

This is a discussion on handgunlaws.us error? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Adkjoe I have a PA and NH permit so I can visit florida You're mistaken. See below. Originally Posted by dam294 Wouldn't ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: handgunlaws.us error?

Quote Originally Posted by Adkjoe View Post
    I have a PA and NH permit so I can visit florida
    You're mistaken. See below.

Quote Originally Posted by dam294 View Post
    Wouldn't a non-resident Utah permit work for someone living in VT and visiting Florida(and a bunch of other states)?
    Nope. The only non-resident license that Florida recognizes is their own.

2. Remove Ads

Yea your right thanks, don't need to visit florida anyway I was just curious
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar
    Adkjoe, is correct. I have listed VT as a state that FL honors and FL does not honor a VT Permit because they don't issue permits. I have made the correction on the FL page and have sent it to Steve to post. It may be a couple days as he is away for the Christmas Holidays. Thanks for pointing out the error.

VT does not have the perfect system if everyone else would follow them. But with the system 48 other states have it doesn't work well for the residents of VT. Alaska allows anyone who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without any type of permit. But they also issue permits to their residents so they can carry in other states with it. Under the system the other 48 states have Alaska has the best system as of today.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

Thumper,

Do be aware that On The Arkansas State Police site which is the official website for the State of Arkansas that supplies info on their gun laws and whose permits they honor and lists who they have reciprocity with.

A few years back they had Massachusetts listed as a state that they had reciprocity with. It took me 4 months to get them to remove it. In fact to get them to remove it I called the Colonel of the Massachusetts State Police and talked directly to him. I ask him to call the Colonel for the Arkansas State Police as he would not listen to me. He did call AR because the AR Colonel called me and tried to give me hell on the phone. I figured Mass called someone over the Colonels head in AR and got him in hot water.

The same thing happened late last year on the Official North Dakota Reciprocity website run by the ND AG. They listed Massachusetts as a state they had reciprocity with. It only took one phone call and less than 2 hours to get them to remove MA from their official list. Anyone can make a error so double checking and even triple checking when it comes to firearms laws is not to many.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slider View Post
    VT does not have the perfect system if everyone else would follow them. But with the system 48 other states have it doesn't work well for the residents of VT. Alaska allows anyone who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without any type of permit. But they also issue permits to their residents so they can carry in other states with it. Under the system the other 48 states have Alaska has the best system as of today.
    VT has the perfect system if we stay in the state I have permits in other states though so for the most part I'm covered for the majority of places I travel to exept NY.

Thanks for updating the site Gary, much appreciated.
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

Adkjoe,

Alaska has the same system as Vermont. Anyone who can legally own a firearm can carry it concealed without any type of permit. Same as Vermont. But Alaska goes the extra mile to help its citizens. They offer a permit and they even looked at all the other states and made the conditions to obtain the permit so that they could sign agreements with all the other states that issue permits so their citizens can carry in those states. They have signed with 35 states or have verbal agreements with them. The only states that Alaska can add to their list is Maine which just started adding reciprocity.

Alaska is going the extra mile to help their citizens be legal to carry in the other states.They didn't have to offer a permit to their citizens to carry in their home state they offer it to help their citizens carry in other states. Vermont is doing nothing to help its citizens carry in other states. There is no way for a Vermont resident to become legal in SC, CO or MI. as it takes resident permits to be valid in these states.

VT has the system I would like all states to have but with the 47 other states that allow carry 46 of them require a permit/license. Just think how nice it would be if VT offered a permit to their citizens, that they didn't need to carry in their home state, but just so they could carry in other states. That what Alaska is doing.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Eagleks, You are correct in saying that one person can't see all the law changes in all the states. It is a lot of work trying to keep up. I keep checking different sources but it is so spread out seeing everything is almost impossible. Then many states give state agencies the right to make rules and regulations to cover their specific areas they have control over. Then you have case law. What Courts have decided in certain cases have a direct effect on the laws as written. Here is the most buried and people would never think of as being off limits I have been informed of. IT is buried in the Administrative Code of Massachusetts.

Part I. Administration of The Government
    Title XIV. Public Ways and Works
    Chapter 90. Motor Vehicles and Aircraft
    Chapter 90: Section 61. Logan Airport security zone; access; penalties
    Section 61. (a) Notwithstanding the provisions of any general or special law to the contrary, as a matter of public safety and security, there is hereby created a security zone bordering the General Edward Lawrence Logan Airport that shall include the area between the mean high water line of said airport and a line measured 500 feet seaward of and parallel to said mean high water line from Wood Island Basin to the easterly end of Jeffries Cove as shown on a plan entitled “Plan of General Edward Lawrence Logan International Airport Security Zone” prepared by Massachusetts Port Authority Capital Programs Department, April 2002.

I appreciate all the help anyone can give me. That is why I try to answer every email that is sent me as I know that I can't do it by myself. Many people out there act as my eyes and ears and assist me sending items they see. Without their help Handgunlaw.us could not exist.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Working to get a "workable" national reciprocity law would simply mean none of us would be carrying guns! National laws are passed by a power base from the non-carrying states. Your best protection for your CCW is your own state. If you live in one that doesn't protect your right to carry, you will have to go to one that does or get your local politicos to get on the bandwagon. Keep the Federal government out of it or lose everything.

It isn't just the current administration or party in power. The previous President made the statement that the U.S. Constitution was nothing but a piece of paper and wouldn't stop him. (Excuse for the very unconstitutional Patriot Acts.) The National political parties, Democratic or Republican, do not follow the Constitution.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorblade View Post
    Sounds like VT has the perfect system.
    Asking them to administer and issue permits has more pitfalls than advantages.
    Amen to that!

If someone from Vermont wants to carry in Florida, they can get a Florida non-resident permit.

From my perspective, Vermont has the right system now, WITHOUT inviting government intervention in terms of issuing a permit!
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

^ agreed!

Quote Originally Posted by wjh2657 View Post
    The previous President made the statement that the U.S. Constitution was nothing but a piece of paper and wouldn't stop him.
    In fall fairness, this has been debunked as false, and a myth...

FactCheck.org: Did President Bush call the Constitution a "goddamned piece of paper?"

With that said, I do agree with your overall sentiment. Even though nobody has openly said anything along the lines of your above statement, actions speak louder than words. Its clear that politicians from both parties have no qualms about ignorning the Constitution, when the Constitution proves inconvenient to their agenda.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slider View Post
    Thumper,

Do be aware that On The Arkansas State Police site which is the official website for the State of Arkansas that supplies info on their gun laws and whose permits they honor and lists who they have reciprocity with.

A few years back they had Massachusetts listed as a state that they had reciprocity with. It took me 4 months to get them to remove it. In fact to get them to remove it I called the Colonel of the Massachusetts State Police and talked directly to him. I ask him to call the Colonel for the Arkansas State Police as he would not listen to me. He did call AR because the AR Colonel called me and tried to give me hell on the phone. I figured Mass called someone over the Colonels head in AR and got him in hot water.

The same thing happened late last year on the Official North Dakota Reciprocity website run by the ND AG. They listed Massachusetts as a state they had reciprocity with. It only took one phone call and less than 2 hours to get them to remove MA from their official list. Anyone can make a error so double checking and even triple checking when it comes to firearms laws is not to many.
    Noted!

I go directly to the Sheriff's Department here so I have their official publications. I'm getting so I don't believe ANYTHING from the internet!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links