handgunlaws.us error?

This is a discussion on handgunlaws.us error? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Went to my parents house in NY yesterday for x-mas and we were looking at handgunlaws.us reciprocity chart. If you look at florida it says ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: handgunlaws.us error?

handgunlaws.us error?

Went to my parents house in NY yesterday for x-mas and we were looking at handgunlaws.us reciprocity chart. If you look at florida it says it honors a vermont resident permit, but there are no permits issued in VT so how could this be? typo maybe? no big deal I'm just curious, I was looking for other states to apply for so I could carry in more states. I already have a PA, NH and am working on UT.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/florida.pdf
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    It's not an error per se, since Florida does list Vermont on the DOACS web site. However, they also list this caveat:

(2) The State of VERMONT is unique in that it does not issue weapon/firearms licenses. Florida licensees - indeed, licensed or unlicensed citizens from any state - may carry in Vermont. This presents a problem for reciprocity with Florida. Florida law provides that an out-of-state resident must have in his or her immediate possession a valid license to carry a concealed weapon or firearm. Since Vermont residents have no such license, the right to concealed carry cannot be extended to them under Florida law.
    Gotta love that, huh?

LOL...can't we all (states) just get along?

Thx for the info chooie
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

Alaska had the same problem for years, so it decided to issue permits to its residents, in case they ever needed to carry outside of the state. it's up to you guys from VT to get on your legislators to do the same.

Sounds like VT has the perfect system.
    Asking them to administer and issue permits has more pitfalls than advantages.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorblade View Post
    It's great exept for the fact that no other states honor VT because there is nothing to honor. Also you only have to be 16 to buy a handgun and carry it concealed, thats kind of scary

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotorblade View Post
    Not if they want to visit Florida, having a paper permit makes them legal and erases troubles from reading here.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Why would anyone from Vermont want to go to Florida?

lol...
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    Alaska had the same problem for years, so it decided to issue permits to its residents, in case they ever needed to carry outside of the state. it's up to you guys from VT to get on your legislators to do the same.

^^^^^thats what they should do^^^^^^

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
    H. L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar

I disagree

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    it's up to you guys from VT to get on your legislators to do the same.
    I disagree. I think it is up to all of us to get on our national legislators to allow everyone to carry without a permit as long as you can legally own a gun. Or at least accept national reciprocity.
    Walk softly ...

Quote Originally Posted by BigStick View Post
    I disagree. I think it is up to all of us to get on our national legislators to allow everyone to carry without a permit as long as you can legally own a gun. Or at least accept national reciprocity.
    #1 - it'll never happen.

#2 - i think national carry is a terrible idea, after giving it some thought. if the federal government can regulate carrying, they can regulate it into being illegal. would you risk that?

I found several 'wrong' items in handgunlaws on our state, but that is because they changed the laws and it changed things quite a bit. They were just "out of date". I sent them an email about it, they emailed back, and within 2 days they had it all updated.

They cannot keep track of every state law, so they rely on all of us to keep them up to date if we see something not quite right. They do a good job on updating and/or changing anything pointed out that has changed, wrong, etc.

VIP Member
    Knowing the law is our responsibility and that to me means getting the information from the source. On line web sites try to make gathering that information easier however, I wouldn't risk the chance that I might violate the law by relying on them! That includes what "someone" says on DC too.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Wouldn't a non-resident Utah permit work for someone living in VT and visiting Florida(and a bunch of other states)?

Member: GeorgiaCarry.Org

^ I have a PA and NH permit so I can visit florida, I was just curious about why florida honors a VT permit when there is no permit to honor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links