How do you convert spouse

This is a discussion on How do you convert spouse within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How do you convert spouse? I gave up on the first. My second came ready made with just a little bit of help from me....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you convert spouse

How do you convert spouse?
    I gave up on the first. My second came ready made with just a little bit of help from me.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Wing View Post
    Merry Christmas to one and all

How do most of you convert your anti gun spouse

I have been married now for over 6 years

My wife knew from the jump that guns came with the package

meaning me she was not thrilled with the idea but went with

a dont ask dont tell deal . This year I got my carry

I am in retial management over 30 years walking out nightly

with deposit she is starting to see the light being that a co

worker in another town got robbed and shot this month

with deposit . She is not real keen with me carry with her

when we are in public she still has some of those anti gun

views any help from board would help Thanks

Well, my wife is all for it, but personally, I think you ought to just chill out on her and forgot what others say, fear and all, maybe it's not fear, maybe it's she just doesn't like guns, we don't always have to label something, some like them, some don't, it's the way it is. My philosphy is as long as we can co-exist and not bother each other, were cool.

You might want to look at it that way also, don't mention it and co-exist partner. She's your partner, not your project.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    All the above posts have decent points to make. May I add a more offbeat comment. my wife knows about "some" of my guns. Now she knows about "all" of my guns. How? We went on a cruise and I bought her a very expensive piece of jewlry. "Its all about the jewelry", at least in my house. Us guys got our "jewelry", they only want their fair share. I am not kidding folks--at least in my house, with a wife that likes to look good with expensive "stuff", that is all it took to convince her of my "jewelry".

Heh Kelcarry, I am extremely fortunate in that one of my woman's hobbies is beading. Since she makes a lot of jewelry, she flat out doesn't like wearing the expensive stuff. She loves red so for our first anniversary I bought her some ruby earrings. She's worn them twice. She loves that I thought enough to give them to her of course, but she told me it was so silly to spend so much money on trivial things like that. (Heh, one of the only true signs I've ever gotten that there might in fact be a God after all.)

That being said, you are still correct. Bribery still goes a long way, just gotta know what kind of bribe they want.

Oh, and about the previous posts on the airsoft gun, man is that thing fun. Our back patio area is flooded at the moment with a stream running from right to left. We sat there in the sun and shot at leaves and stuff floating by. Not consistently accurate, not that I would expect a little $20 air pistol to be, but its still great fun. Thrilled that she has taken to it. I don't think it will be too difficult to move her to a .22 at the range soon.
    Glock 22 (G2) & 27 (G3)
    S&W 686 .357 4" Stainless Pre-lock
    Ruger 10/22
    Marlin Model 65 .22LR - 1968
    Remington Model 31 16ga - 1932
    Remington 1900 12ga - 1904

Senior Member Array kahrcarrier's Avatar
    Maybe I shouldn't say it, but if it were not for women and their votes, we would have one hell of a LOT less restrictive, unconstitutional firearm laws.

On second thought; maybe I should say it.

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    All the above posts have decent points to make. May I add a more offbeat comment. my wife knows about "some" of my guns. Now she knows about "all" of my guns. How? We went on a cruise and I bought her a very expensive piece of jewlry. "Its all about the jewelry", at least in my house. Us guys got our "jewelry", they only want their fair share. I am not kidding folks--at least in my house, with a wife that likes to look good with expensive "stuff", that is all it took to convince her of my "jewelry".
    Good point, Kelcarry. I'll add that maybe your wife could become more of a target by wearing expensive jewelry..........all the more reason for her to pack heat

I agree with those that say to take it easy, and that going to the range is a great idea.

Some here mentioned having her read some of the posts and blogs by female members here. I think that is a good idea and would take it a step further: if you know any women who shoot (or even better, who carry) it may be helpful to have her talk with them in person. You might even arrange to go the range all together.

Perhaps you have a shooting buddy whose wife also shoots? Just hanging out with them and having your wife have a female influence that is positive and articulate about guns and their use can go a long way. No point in getting too preachy, but I think that would help soften some of her fears and objections in a strong way.

It's called the "buffalo bridle" theory. You can lead a buffalo anywhere - as long as it wants to go there.

My wife has her CHP but never carries. She is all for it, but doesn't like the "inconvenience". She never hassles me when I carry.

The last few times I took her to the range, we were placed next to either someone sighting in their elephant gun, or some yabos blasting holes in paper with their HD shotties at three feet. She would get uncomfortable with the noise and mania and walk out.

I guess I'll need to rent the entire range for a couple sessions with her.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    .............. She would get uncomfortable with the noise and mania and walk out.

I guess I'll need to rent the entire range for a couple sessions with her.
    I recommend ear plugs along with the ear muffs,,, double up.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Wing View Post
    .......... She is not real keen with me carry with her when we are in public she still has some of those anti gun views any help from board would help Thanks
    Watch movies like Enough with Jennifer Lopez. Mention news stories like the ones from armed citizen The Armed Citizen Put a biometric lock-box on the nightstand with a pistol inside and tell her that you want her to scan her finger just in case she ever needs to ultimately defend herself when she is home alone. She'll grow to be comforted by the fact that she can defend herself and then will feel uncomfortable during the times she cant. It is like an awakening. Its not changing the way someone thinks it is raising someones level of consciousness. Ignorance is bliss but no one wants to be blissfully ignorant after they have looked at the facts and statistics and weighed the pros and cons.
    Last edited by jimtem; December 26th, 2009 at 05:31 AM.

First off, please do not try to teach her how to shoot. Get her in a class away from you. That will increase the chances of her gaining interest by a large percentage.

Second and easiest is to get her poking around on Cornered Cat That is focused on the women and carry and is written in a way that women relate to easier than to the monobrow crowd.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OtoPA View Post
    Have you pointed her to Pax's "Cornered Cat" site yet? There were a lot of articles written from a different perspective, that my wife read.
    My wife was never an 'anti', just never thought that a weapon at hand was necessary. The world changes and so do views.

We went to the range together. Shooting was sport. Later, I bought her own low recoil Walther P22 when she had trouble shooting my 92FS...then her own S&W model 60, now she has her CCW and packs a PPS. Dragging anyone into something is usually more difficult than leading one step then another. It sounds like your wife is waking to the hazards of the world already and that awareness may the first steps.
    I agree Pax's site would be a great place to start.

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    You two are a TEAM.
    Boy!

My Wife carries knives (for now), and she was raised in a VERY "guns er bad, m'kay!" kind of house.

It takes time to let someone come to a conclusion on something that is wildly different from their previous thought patterns. Notice the word "let".

Coercion, trickery, and constant nagging are MUCH more damaging to your relationship (not to mention your purposes of protecting each other).

In my opinion, this is a decision that must come naturally and of its own accord.

Remember, the Second Amendment gives us the Right to Bear Arms, not the mandate...

Just a thought.

That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

you want. you will work yourself in the ground trying, but it will not work. i would stop trying and just carry your gun. don't bring it up, don't show it to her, just do what you got to do, carry it. leave her at home when you go to the range, etc.... over time it will not be an issue with her.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Thanks for all the replys

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links